Shogun Appreciation Society

find_bruce

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

drubie wrote:Nice. I wish I had my black shogun selectra but it always seems to be loaned out to somebody:-|
Thanks. I have to say though that you're a better man than me drubie :wink:

Took it for a cruise ride this morning with my brother in law & it looks like I need to replace the cassette, skipping in 1st & couldn't trim it out- must be the awesome power I produce :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I have this customised Shogun Custom Sport Mixte featured over in 'The Shed' section

The frame number prefix reads "M8C" - any idea of year, anyone?

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:7speed pod shifters on the bars work very wellImage
Assuming the handlebars on this bike are aluminium and 24.0mm diameter, I am wondering how the shifter pods were fitted, as these usually have a 22.2mm clamp to fit 'flat' bars?

Roosashi

Postby Roosashi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Suntour Superbe Pro Groupset with some custom mods Image

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 pm

kukamunga wrote:
landscapecadmonkey wrote:7speed pod shifters on the bars work very wellImage
Assuming the handlebars on this bike are aluminium and 24.0mm diameter, I am wondering how the shifter pods were fitted, as these usually have a 22.2mm clamp to fit 'flat' bars?
Bars 24mm indeed. Shifter clamps seem to suit perfectly. Hex screw at perfect angle to take slack. Takes abit to w iggle past the drops, but they seem perfectly suited to the bars, and functionality on the flat section works very well.
Looking at similar for another commuter project

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 pm

munga wrote:here's my shogie bear

tange 2 samurai. replacing my late raleigh as general hack, while i wait on parts/motivation/inspiration to finish something else.
beaut little frame - i'll take some better pics soon and post them up.
Ahh, a Wishbone stay. I have a friend who owns one of these, Yellow and White with full 105 and DT shifters. He told me that Shogun only made the Samurai with a wishbone stay for a year or two. His stable includes a Baum, a Tommasini, a Ti Randonneur and a fancy plastic bike, but the Shogun gets all the love 8)

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi all new to the forum.
I am on the bike after 10year hyatis i have found myself a decrepid shogun ninja rsx gears ultegra hubs 7005 program 3 elan frame with crmoly forks it weighs easly less than ten kg. The bike is not bent things are a bit rough though .
Does any one know the history of these bikes i cant find swquat on the goog.
I find myself strangely drawn to this bike regardless of lack of popularity as something this light and ridgid would not have been cheap in the 90,s
Any info would be greatly appreciated

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

The Ninja was a very popular bike in the early 90's. I rember always wanting a Black one, after seeing a lot of then on one of those "Great NSW Bike ride", week long adventures.
I eventually bought a Shogun, but the new model was a Tri-Colour, fluro thing.
A Ninja would be worth restoring, me thinks :D

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I think with the RSX Groupset its probably from the mid 90's. I usually tell the age of the Shogun's by the font of the name on the down tube.

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I was talking to a fella today who told me the best way to clean paint off the frame to bare metal is to bead blast it apparently sand blasting can heat the aluminum to much has any one had any experience with this?
The front derailleur mount is riveted to the frame I have never seen this any clues? Can I retro fit if I can't straighten the cage
I have also gained approval from the ministry to start work, I will try to upload some photos if any one is interested.
Cheers

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:I usually tell the age of the Shogun's by the font of the name on the down tube.
Interesting - what age does the font on my shogun tell you ? I am curious as I haven't been able to figure out the model either. Ignore the wheels & components - I bought it as a bare frame

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am

Has anyone here had any luck finding replacement SHOGUN decals?

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:21 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Dimitrizee wrote:I usually tell the age of the Shogun's by the font of the name on the down tube.
Interesting - what age does the font on my shogun tell you ? I am curious as I haven't been able to figure out the model either. Ignore the wheels & components - I bought it as a bare frame
[img]<a href="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7qkD ... /image.jpg[/img" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>lh3</span><span>.</span><span>googleusercontent</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/-</span><span>7qkDHI4O2co</span><span>/</span><span>UUQWpN</span><span>_</span><span>JEbI</span><span>/</span><span>AAAAAAAAAdE</span><span>/</span><span>Lg</span><span>_</span><span>AJA5FQD0</span><span>/</span><span>s719</span><span>/</span><span>image</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]
At a guess, I'd say around 98? I have a catalogue from that period and the font looks identical. After about 99 the font wasn't as "stretched" as it is on your frame.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm actually thinking of getting some labels made; each old Shogun bike I find, decals are mostly scratched or peeled off nad need replacement. I have an old 89-90 "buyers guide" with some Shogun ads that I can get scanned and re create the main Shogun decal on the down tube.

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm

You could try brandsoftheworld.com it will be a eps or vector file save it and print on clear contact spray with clear lacquer and profile cut by hand

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 am

I've looked everywhere on the net but nobody has recreated any lables for Shogun bikes. A friend of mine recenlty remade some old Datsun dealership stickers to put on his car and to do that, just sent a jpg of the image to a guy in QLD and received a perfect label in the mail. I'll get some contact info and see what happens. I'll need some in black, white and pink!

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Thought I'd post a pic of the early Trail Breaker 2 I picked up from a bikes shop that was a trade in.. Have the same vintage TB3 that still in the stripped stage awaiting some parts.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:In 1993 I scrapped together all my pennies & bought a Avanti Kona for $1,389 - it was nothing particularly special -
Makes you weep what we were paying back then. And you'll weep again if you have time to read the cycliniq guy's series on the workings and history of the industry. Vertical Limit
I paid $1000 in '95 for a Trek 6000 alu MTB. :oops: Something like that now would be about $300, at a guess. There were a lot of people taking a slice in a long line; including, as he describes "muffin-toting reps", in what was a very closed environment.
He's a really good writer, and knows his stuff.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:I've looked everywhere on the net but nobody has recreated any lables for Shogun bikes. A friend of mine recenlty remade some old Datsun dealership stickers to put on his car and to do that, just sent a jpg of the image to a guy in QLD and received a perfect label in the mail. I'll get some contact info and see what happens. I'll need some in black, white and pink!
I got decals remade for a bike from jpg scans last year at a local signwriter, didn't cost much and most signwriters should be able to do it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
[imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7qkDHI4O2co/UUQWpN_JEbI/AAAAAAAAAdE/Lg_AJA5FQD0/s719/image.jpg[/img]
At a guess, I'd say around 98? I have a catalogue from that period and the font looks identical. After about 99 the font wasn't as "stretched" as it is on your frame.
Thanks. To me the frame feature, lugs, brake cable external on top of top tube, downtube shifters, semi horiztontal rear drop outs with adjustment screws and uni-crown fork say around the late 80s.
frailer5 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:In 1993 I scrapped together all my pennies & bought a Avanti Kona for $1,389 - it was nothing particularly special -
Makes you weep what we were paying back then. And you'll weep again if you have time to read the cycliniq guy's series on the workings and history of the industry. Vertical Limit
I paid $1000 in '95 for a Trek 6000 alu MTB. :oops: Something like that now would be about $300, at a guess. There were a lot of people taking a slice in a long line; including, as he describes "muffin-toting reps", in what was a very closed environment.
He's a really good writer, and knows his stuff.
Thanks for the link frailer, I will have a look at it as soon as I can find some time

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm

find_bruce wrote: Interesting - what age does the font on my shogun tell you ? I am curious as I haven't been able to figure out the model either. Ignore the wheels & components - I bought it as a bare frame
:lol: I was about to to the shed to see what was on one I had, thought I might be able to help :roll: Now where did I put that one as I read through.........
Looks neat Bruce, rides well? :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Saro28 wrote::lol: I was about to to the shed to see what was on one I had, thought I might be able to help :roll: Now where did I put that one as I read through.........
Looks neat Bruce, rides well? :)
:D :D Thanks Andy, still a bit to do to make all the components presentable, but I wanted to get it out on the road so I got it together one weekend. So far I have only taken it for a couple of rides, but the sizing is just perfect & I am very happy with it. Next up is rebuilding the rear wheel & a bunch of cleaning & polishing, but I am happy to use it in the menatime.

I was tring to figure out why it had such a huge hole for the seat post pinch bolt - a bit of googling & I discovered I didn't need an ordinary bolt, but one of these :oops:

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YIFb ... QQthN4itFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
here is the project in all its glory started the strip down today had to cut head stem off with hacksaw. sti lever has broken pawl spring me thinks this may take awhile

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YIFb ... G_1767.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
try that again

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YoGC ... G_1765.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EDWy ... G_1766.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not sure how to post actual pics can somebody help me lol