Commute PSP South to Bentley Tech Park

nickobec

Commute PSP South to Bentley Tech Park

Postby nickobec » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Looks like I will be working near Bentley Tech Park for 5 months, looking for advice on route

Currently commute Kwinana to CBD so this might save a few kms, but don't want more time or more grey hairs.

Original thought PSP into Como and up Thelma or South Tce. Google is suggesting turning off at Mount Henry, then Manning Rd & Kent St, because of shared paths?

No really a shared path rider, too fast/impatient and on 23mm tires, so advice?

RoFlmaTiC

Re: Commute PSP South to Bentley Tech Park

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 pm

A scenic (but longer) route would be to take a right when you reach Cranford ave and then doing shelleys loop. Quiet roads the whole way and only small sections of shared path (around leech hwy andthen again at centenary ave). Also only the one traffic light at manning road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Brod ... 5&t=m&z=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 pm

go up Kwinana PSP as far as fly over at Como opposite Thelma St and go north up melville Parade to South Terrace and then just head east along South Terrace all the way past Labouchere, Coode and Canning Hwy lights down to set of lights at corenr of Douglas Ave and Hayman Road. Turn right down hayman and about 300-400m turn left into Burvill Court which is entrance to Western precinct of technology Park. If in eastern section then follow Burvill east for about 400m and cross roundabout at kent Street and you are then on Turner Avenue and in the Eastern precinct of Technology park........... too easy and good roads all the way from Kwinana PSP. :D

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 am

I quite like Thelma Street as a cruisy yet direct way to get to Tech Park Curtin.
Preston Street bridge off Kwinana PSP.
Good coffee on left at Empress.
Turn right Labouchere, follow to roundabout and turn left at Thelma.
Cross Canning, follow Thelma to Hayman. I imagine traffic at the private school might be an issue at drop off time.
Also consider taking Labouchere from the Narrows, though crossing Mill Point Road is an exercise in patience.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 am

Another way is via Henley St off Canning Hwy, take the bikepath on the leftside at the roundabout on Bruce St, then the left and right turns on the path to get onto Jackson Rd then Kent St. This is also a shortcut to Curtin Uni. Just watch traffic at the roundabouts.

How you get to Henley may be directly off Canning Hwy, from the first pedestrian overpass after Canning Bridge or through backroads crossing Manning. The latter can be easier, just take the overpass at the boatramp just before Canning Bridge, then onto Manning for a short distance from one of several sideroads, take Ley St and this'll get you to Henley. The less time you spend on Manning the better.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

Don't forget the 'boat ramp access' overpass before Canning Highway that can be used to access Manning road from an alternative angle.

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Another alternative

Flat n quiet = stress free

Dez

Postby Dez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm

argybargy wrote:Don't forget the 'boat ramp access' overpass before Canning Highway that can be used to access Manning road from an alternative angle.
I go this way (Davilak, Godwin) but I go around the north side of the golf course as I am on Dick Perry Ave. There is a short section of shared path near Como Secondary, but it is brand new, nice and wide, and usually vacant.

Cuts out the dogs breakfast path along Canning Hwy, school madness at Penrhos and the hills of Axford St.

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 am

This is the route I take 5 days a week (click for bigger):

Hasn't done me wrong yet, and has the most important aspect in that you ride straight through the Kent/Hayman roundabout. That roundabout is a friggin nightmare due to the 4 lanes each way plus high speed plus a lot of traffic. Making a right turn there would be a huge pain. I almost get hit enough just going straight, no way I'd make a turn there every day.

There is a bit of shared path between Henley and Murray, but it's not too long, and it's one of those great bike only shortcuts. :) It is being torn up at the moment, with a short section of gravel that wouldn't be much fun on 23mm tires. It's a bit rough for me even on 28s.

Off-topic a bit, but that entire section of path was torn up and replaced with tar/gravel for well over a year when they buried the power cables in the area. They finally repaved it back in Feb, and have started tearing it up again to put in what looks like a slightly altered path a few metres to the side. Well planned.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:12 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:Another alternative

Flat n quiet = stress free
you must be flying to get over the water like that :P

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:24 pm

I ride up the PSP from just before Farrington and then go up Thelma or the next one along (cant remember the name). After having read your race reports as well Nick there is (to me anyway) a nasty little hill at the start of Thelma as you come off of the FWY overpass that you may enjoy. The Thelma climb in Strava

Segment Details
Distance 0.3km
Avg Grade 4.9%
Elev Difference 13m
Elev Gain 13m

I work at the ARRC which is across the road from tech park.

I was crossing at the horseshoe for a while but did not like having to go through the school drop off area that is populated by a large proportion of 4WD's.