Video Camera who uses one?

darkelf921

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:26 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
Summernight wrote:
darkelf921 wrote: Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.
Sent by Registered International Post? Or by normal post? If Registered Post, Australia Post can track it (even if you can't) and they would definitely have told you to lodge a complaint by now as they told me I should (and I emailed GoPro to check they'd received it before I took it further - which is when GoPro told me they'd received it).

I'm assuming you've emailed GoPro and they've told you they hadn't received it? I didn't get a confirmation email of receipt - I had to chase it up.
After the 8th email, it was discovered I had accidentally used my PO Box as the return address. The replacement camera has been sitting in America the whole time as they cannot ship to a PO Box. Someone finally discovered this and asked me for my residential address. It only took 5 weeks and 8 emails. I still don't have the camera though.
I finally received my replacement camera today. It's ridiculous how long it took.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Glad the replacement has finally come for you, DarkElf. I've been very pleased with my replacement with no glitches to date. When received it I immediately did the manual update and fixed my settings to how I wanted it.
KonaCommuter wrote:I honestly don't know why any cyclist wouldn't have one. The Jumbo #808's are dirt cheap and to be quite blunt the Contour Roam isn't exactly expensive and nor is it obtrusive as a helmet cam. Whenever I hire a car I have a cam mounted as a dashcam and from this Sunday my wife's car will have a dashcam that records whenever the ignition is on.
Great idea on the rental car dashcam.
Can I ask why on the wife's car in particular? Or is it for the same reason as you run one on your commute?

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I am really loving my GoPro Hero3.....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DkT4eHyjYSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not on a bike but cool anyway !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 am

KonaCommuter wrote:... from this Sunday my wife's car will have a dashcam that records whenever the ignition is on.
What did you get? Did you hard wire it in place?

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Might be the day I jump on the GoPro wagon I've also put it up on spotted a special.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm

That's a good deal !

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:... from this Sunday my wife's car will have a dashcam that records whenever the ignition is on.
What did you get? Did you hard wire it in place?

Andrew
I bought this one from Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QV3793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyclical recording was what I was after, it hooks up to the ciggie lighter and I've been told starts recording when the car starts. Whilst I would have preferred 1080p, 720p is what I use on my helmet cam and it's sufficient.

The one I bought at Christmas time was from China and it wouldn't record and only turned on sometimes. So I bit the bullet and bought something from a B&M store that I can go back to if it doesn't perform.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Summernight wrote:Glad the replacement has finally come for you, DarkElf. I've been very pleased with my replacement with no glitches to date. When received it I immediately did the manual update and fixed my settings to how I wanted it.
My replacement has also worked flawlessly. I also did the update straight away.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am

Well, as the BNA Oracles prophesied, the handlebar mount failed on the commute to work today:

And as they also prophesied, the lanyard saved the GoPro from a fate possibly worth than death:

I saw it wobbling at the lights not in time with the vibrations of the bicycle so I touched it and the GoPro fell off in my hand. Lucky the lanyard held it tight and away from anything dangerous so I didn't have to worry about it as I rode the rest of the way to work. The GoPro must have known, as it ran out of battery and turned off just two blocks before. :roll:

Chest mount from now on until I get the K-Edge GoPro handlebar mount.

Handlebar mount lasted 4 weeks of commutes (I don't ride on the weekends). This doesn't include the time in which the GoPro was sent back to the factory for warranty replacement - where the mount was on the bike but there was no load.

Moral of the story: NEVER use a GoPro (or I guess any other expensive camera) without a lanyard.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome to the club! Hahahahahaha.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Welcome to the club! Hahahahahaha.
+1

Glad you were forewarned :)

I love the K-Edge mounts. Rock solid.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm

+1

K Edge are brilliant !

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Lost camera returned, just of general interest. This is a great site if you have an interest in any camera.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/26 ... with-owner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm

My original celotape mount is still thriving:
http://1motorcyclist.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a few clips of the Roam2 from a ride home last week showing sunset to twilight heading west/north west, with audio from onboard stereo.

No incident riverside drive sunset (also have kogan sunnies vision of this same ride to add for comparison)

Same ride further along after sunset, a couple riding less than wisely two abreast uphill to a blind bend cresting of freeway overpass:

Same ride further along before twilight end, guy stopped on path immediately after an uncontrolled crossing out of the street lighting wasn't the brightest choice for checking your phone, pun intended.

(no youtube at work so not sure these links will work)

After reviewing a couple of minor near misses with cars, one anticipated failure to give way, the other surprise right turn from left lane across right lane (me) on one way road, the wide 170degree view doesn't represent the 'naked eye' feeling of time/space so well, just looks like everything is happening at an easy Sunday stroll pace with suspension fork also dampening the footage edginess.
The narrow field of view sunglasses cam more realistically showed how it felt by naked eye in those incidents regarding recognition of the hazard and response. A nice combo in fair weather and daylight on comfort ergonomics with higher head position. The slower frame rate makes the sunnies cam blurry at fast head checks and not representative of detail seen by naked eye.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Who needs a bell when you have music blearing :P

You should just put the jaws theme song on repeat and go around trolling everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Just for a giggle at $29 delivered I picked up a pair of video sunglasses. Will see if they are any good or not. If not, no great loss.
http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/video-camera-sunglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am

I wonder if these will be any good?
John

http://e.dx.com/collection/201303/new-a ... arrivals-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 am

Not sure, I've been looking at the same thing.

Check out this review of its 'little brother,' the SJ72:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkEXTP ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, today I bought two 808 #16s (D lens) together with two battery backpacks (thanks to the previous posts with the links to the reviews so I knew which ones to choose).

The idea of buying two being one camera goes on the helmet strap (if it is light enough - without the external battery). The other on the rear chainstay for a back view. These are to complement the front view, handlebar mounted GoPro. Looking forward to playing with them when they arrive in 2-3 weeks!

If the helmet mounted #16 doesn't work out I can always use the extra camera as an in-car camera.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Summernight wrote:Well, today I bought two 808 #16s (D lens) together with two battery backpacks (thanks to the previous posts with the links to the reviews so I knew which ones to choose). ...
Is that the lens that gives it a bigger field of view? If so, let us know how it goes, I was looking at it and decided to get the standard one but am still tossing up whether to get one or not.

Is the standard battery backpack like a black box thing like the one here? If these are the one I purchased with my camera, I've found that when they top up the charge on the camera, it interferes with the signal to my wireless bike computer and it stops recording speed and distance until the top up is finished, but not sure if it's just happening because it's been in a few stacks or what.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
Summernight wrote:Well, today I bought two 808 #16s (D lens) together with two battery backpacks (thanks to the previous posts with the links to the reviews so I knew which ones to choose). ...
Is that the lens that gives it a bigger field of view? If so, let us know how it goes, I was looking at it and decided to get the standard one but am still tossing up whether to get one or not.

Is the standard battery backpack like a black box thing like the one here? If these are the one I purchased with my camera, I've found that when they top up the charge on the camera, it interferes with the signal to my wireless bike computer and it stops recording speed and distance until the top up is finished, but not sure if it's just happening because it's been in a few stacks or what.
Thanks for the tip on the wireless interference with the external battery (yes, it looks the same except seems to be specific to the #16) - I will keep an eye on it with my Edge 500. And yes, the D lens is the wide angle (120 degree) one. I liked the look of that angle better than the A (70 degrees) and the B (~78 degrees).

Just also purchased the k-Edge GoPro mounts in red (bought both types of mount to bump up to free shipping on Wiggle). I checked Cell Bikes first because of the exemplary customer service they are displaying on this forum, but with the platinum discount on Wiggle (whoops, been spending a bit too much there. :oops:) it was approx 20% cheaper than Cell and I think there was added shipping costs with Cell on top of that. Sorry Cell.

The reason I bought both mounts is because I actually like seeing my right brifter in the footage as a point of reference, so I want to see how both work with that (I may have bought an extra one needlessly, oh well).

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Anyone out there tried using an IR camera or modified video camera for picking up number plates at night?
Looks like it'd be pretty easy to modify one, but not sure if the results would be worth it?

I can see myself destroying a cheap and nasty one to find out.

Cheers

Time

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 pm

John Lewis wrote:I wonder if these will be any good?
John

http://e.dx.com/collection/201303/new-a ... arrivals-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd avoid it. The 1080p mode only shoots 10fps. That won't cut it for bike action.

My current camera is the RD32II. I'm very happy with it as a poor man's gopro.

$107.60 USD shipped http://dx.com/p/hd-1080p-mini-sports-dv ... ser-119097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 am

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:32 am

Love the helmet set-up in that clip. I'm sure that will really take off! :lol: