Malvern Star 2 Star Boys/Kids

rosscojj

Malvern Star 2 Star Boys/Kids

Postby rosscojj » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:11 pm

I picked up this today in Maldon :D . I would like to restore it but feeling a little out of my depth after I have been playing with 80s bikes. I just don't even know where to start. :?

By the serial number I am guessing 194X's can anyone help with better date?
Magistron Cranks & Dunlop Atlantic Tyres.
I think the seat isn't original Silpa someting top made in Italy?
24 x 1 3/8 Rims

Serial: 4M24609

rosscojj

Re: Malvern Star 2 Star Boys/Kids

Postby rosscojj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Ok so i have started tearing down the bike. Taking off some of the rust off the rims revealed they where blue with white pin strips. There is also some nice scroll work on the frame.

To Do List: (Any suggestions welcome)
-Remove stem. Its really stuck in there. :(
-Remove BB, will need a pin spanner of some sort. It has 4 pin holes on the BB Cup.
-Sandblast frame. (repaint blue/red)
-Sandblast rims. (repaint blue?)
-Get rims rebuilt. (new/nos hubs?)
-Chrome Cranks.
-Chrome Stem.
-Replace cotter pins, I wrecked one getting it out :(
-Brooks saddle or similar.
-Replace seatpost.
-Order decals

rollin

Postby rollin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Good on you for bringing this beauty back to life,
Start spraying the hell out of every threaded part with( rost of )or there's another one in a red and white can at bunnings near the wd40 , these products change the chemistry of the rust and if you spray everyday for a week or less the rusted parts will loosen up, if they don't you'll need heat..
You should be able to find generic steel hubs from local bike store or bike parts plus more should have them and they look just like the old ones, think about a rear coaster brake as well as it looks clean and saves you getting brakes
I'd get the stem headset and cranks rechromed and maybe throw on some roadster bars
You can get heaps of the standard parts like tyres chain tubes seat post botton brakets etc from bike part plus more online or bike partswholesale has all the parts you should need but your lbs will have to order off them
I've just done the same era men's bike so have gone thru same process, where are you located as I know some well priced refinishers and pinstriper.....

rollin

Postby rollin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Also cycology at parramatta and Victoria rd sells nos bell leather seats from time to time on eBay, but you can ring the store as well.

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Cheers Rollin. I am in Bendigo Vic.
Is it worth salvaging the Rims or should i just get a new set? https://www.bike-parts-plus-more.com.au ... p?id=40030

rollin

Postby rollin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Depends on budget and how concerned about originality you are, I'm using a pair of pre built 27 wheels on my build as they cost $80 for both for the complete set and im on a budjet whereas to build a set your looking at, at least 50 per wheel for labour + hubs spokes rims, it can get quite pricey...but on a kids French bike I just built I sourced hubs rims etc and built them myself and it wasn't as hard as I thought although it took a few attempts to get it right...
If your building the wheels and the originals look sound you may as well get them painted with the frame, you can pinstripe them with car pinstriping tape ...

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 pm

So I unlaced the wheels. The hubs are wrecked you can see the bearings through hole on the inside of hub. :o
The hubs are 32 hole Front, 40 hole rear.

It looks like it will be hard to find a 24" x 1 3/8" wheelset.

The rims look ok. I might clean them up a bit more and see if there are any more surprises.

rollin

Postby rollin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

My be tricky finding 32/40 hubs, someone here might have a set laying around...
These guys have heaps of old stuff in storage and might even have a set of wheels..

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Bikecology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Very cool I am working on painting up a 18" kids 2 star, unfortunately the original paint was even worse than yours, but hopefully my chrome 18" westwoods are recoverable!

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 pm

The serial number 4M 24609 would suggest it was built in 1944.
The early form of Malvern Star script decal would also indicate that year is correct.
PM me if you want correct 1944 parts for it.
Warren

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Many thanks Warren for the info. :)

I have the Bottom Bracket mostly out (1 cup is still on) and the seatpost is out as well. So only the stem is still stuck. I will post up some photos soon. :)

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 pm

So here is the offending stem. :evil:
I got the expander bolt out but there doesnt appear to be a stem wedge in there just a screw hole from what i can see... I have tried tapping around to see if it is a stem wedge but it just looks like it was bolted directly to the frame? But i still cant get the stem out. I have order a pin wrench to see if loosening the headset will allow my to get it out...

Seat post out woohoo!

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Likely to be a circular wedge (one that goes up the middle of the headstem and expands it). Pup the stem bolt back in a few turns and give it a couple of thumps with the hammer. I also find putting a wheel and handlebars back in for leverage to twist the stem side to side can help ease it out (extra leverage)

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Finally! Bought a big vice. Wrapped some rubber around the stem, put the hub back in and got the leverage with a 3 foot metal bar. :D

Ditch35

Postby Ditch35 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Just thought you might like to see this 2 Star l restored for the kids last year.

BH74

Postby BH74 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Ditch35 wrote:Image

Just thought you might like to see this 2 Star l restored for the kids last year.
Neat work!

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Decals, Red and White Stars and Some Pin Stripping to go on the Frame.

rollin

Postby rollin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Any more progress yet?