I need a goal

munga

Re: I need a goal

Postby munga » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not like anyone needs an excuse to visit noosa in late winter.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

The Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge has a 100km female solo category. It is a challenge event rather than a race so could be suited and is a nice area. They have 124 days until the event so it could be a good goal.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Apple wrote:I would like to aim for something. Train for a ride which is beautiful and fun.
Something that is not busy with thousands of riders. Can anyone recommend me a ride which would be about 100km with moderate hills and not a race? I am happy to fly to the state it is held in.
Have you got anything like this: http://cycleqld.bq.org.au/ in your state? Or is it too much?

Alternatively, do you have a club like this: http://www.bbta.org? They do two day tours (e.g. Dalby is coming up in May, around 100kms out and similar back with an overnight stop) and also day rides.

Alternatively, what about Audax Australia? They do rides anything from 50kms (too short to qualify as an actual Audax ride) up to 1200kms. Check out their web site: http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.php.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Apple,
very good to hear you gave up on the idea of hanging up your bike.

If you want something not too far away, how about the Ballarat Autumn Day Ride on Sunday 5 May. This is always good fun. There are 25, 50 and 100km options-looks like a couple of hills out around Linton but otherwise not too bad (from past experience, the course setter has a sadistic streak :)).

Focus of the day is on fun, safe riding; definitely not a race/timed event. May have more people than you want, can be up around 500-600 but has AM tea, sag wagon, mechanical support and an option of lunch included. Weather can be a bit cool/wet. If you come for the weekend, you can come out with our small Sat AM bunch (2-6 riders) and warm up with 40-50km.

Disclaimer: a friend is the sadistic course setter :lol:

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:59 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Hi Apple,
very good to hear you gave up on the idea of hanging up your bike.

If you want something not too far away, how about the Ballarat Autumn Day Ride on Sunday 5 May. This is always good fun. There are 25, 50 and 100km options-looks like a couple of hills out around Linton but otherwise not too bad (from past experience, the course setter has a sadistic streak :)).

Focus of the day is on fun, safe riding; definitely not a race/timed event. May have more people than you want, can be up around 500-600 but has AM tea, sag wagon, mechanical support and an option of lunch included. Weather can be a bit cool/wet. If you come for the weekend, you can come out with our small Sat AM bunch (2-6 riders) and warm up with 40-50km.

Disclaimer: a friend is the sadistic course setter :lol:
Thanks coffeeand wine (both things that I love most) :D
I wish I posted this thread months ago, It doesnt give me much time but it could be done. Is this ride every year and why do they start so late ? Is the town still asleep at 7am :lol:
I didn't give up the bike, I do like riding but what I did give up is fast, stressful group rides. I am looking at the map now as I type this.
:D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

munga wrote:viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61783

not like anyone needs an excuse to visit noosa in late winter.

Not sure that Apples Pinny fits the brief of the type of bike for this ride.... :wink:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm

The CQ ride is usually split into two parts with a rest day, so you can do the whole thing or part 1 or 2 of it.

I'd love to do this but no time this year and Mr MM is allergic to camping :roll:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Apple wrote:
Ross wrote:http://www.amysgranfondo.org.au/ but there might be too many people for you. I did this last year and it was the most wel organised cycling event I've ever done. You nominate a category that you think your average speed will be and start with others in that category so you are all similar in ability, not hares and tortises which is dangerous IMO.
Thanks Ross I will look into that one
Don't take too long, entry is opening soon and fills very quickly. 4000+ riders last year. I just booked our group accom a couple of weeks ago - almost nothing was left at the cabins we stay at in the middle of Lorne.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Research Christine's Strava QOM's and train to take them off her :)

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

twizzle wrote:
Apple wrote:
Ross wrote:http://www.amysgranfondo.org.au/ but there might be too many people for you. I did this last year and it was the most wel organised cycling event I've ever done. You nominate a category that you think your average speed will be and start with others in that category so you are all similar in ability, not hares and tortises which is dangerous IMO.
Thanks Ross I will look into that one
Don't take too long, entry is opening soon and fills very quickly. 4000+ riders last year. I just booked our group accom a couple of weeks ago - almost nothing was left at the cabins we stay at in the middle of Lorne.
This may be the the one :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Research Christine's Strava QOM's and train to take them off her :)
No thanks, but I am happy for you to do it :wink:

kb

Postby kb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Apple wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Apple wrote: Thanks Ross I will look into that one
This may be the the one :D
Did that last year. Loved the closed roads. It was well organised and the riding seemed pretty sensible to me. Don't know about the accomodation - I slept in the tray of a ute :-)

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm

kb wrote:Did that last year. Loved the closed roads. It was well organised and the riding seemed pretty sensible to me. Don't know about the accomodation - I slept in the tray of a ute :-)
Don't worry, I will be in the 5 star hotel. :lol: . How did you ride the next day after sleeping in a ute :shock:

I think Mr Apple is booking it now for me. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

We stay in the cabins at the Lorne caravan park. 500m from the start, about 300m from the bottom of the hill after the finish. Cheap, but clean and functional, and they don't mind us storing bikes in the cabins.

Sent from my iThingy...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 pm

For some reason whenever people say goal, I think gaol.
Maybe it's why I will never amount to much :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am

twizzle"]We stay in the cabins at the Lorne caravan park. 500m from the start, about 300m from the bottom of the hill after the finish. Cheap, but clean and functional, and they don't mind us storing bikes in the cabins.
I like clean. most places ask for 2 nights stay, so it looks like I would have to come on Friday evening.

find_bruce wrote:For some reason whenever people say goal, I think gaol.
Maybe it's why I will never amount to much :D
Looks like the QVB to me in Sydney :D

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

Apple wrote:
kb wrote:Did that last year. Loved the closed roads. It was well organised and the riding seemed pretty sensible to me. Don't know about the accomodation - I slept in the tray of a ute :-)
Don't worry, I will be in the 5 star hotel. :lol: . How did you ride the next day after sleeping in a ute :shock:
Sleeping went pretty well. Cueing up for a toilet in the morning was painful though.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Apple wrote:
twizzle"]We stay in the cabins at the Lorne caravan park. 500m from the start, about 300m from the bottom of the hill after the finish. Cheap, but clean and functional, and they don't mind us storing bikes in the cabins.
I like clean. most places ask for 2 nights stay, so it looks like I would have to come on Friday evening.
Stay the Friday and Sunday, that way you avoid all of the people arriving and leaving. :)

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

twizzle wrote:Stay the Friday and Sunday, that way you avoid all of the people arriving and leaving. :)
I can't stay for that long, but what I will do, is book saturday night and Sunday night but I will leave on Sunday evening, that way I can still use the room after the ride. :D
even though I pay for both nights, it will work out just fine.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Your registration has now been completed. You will receive an email confirmation of the registration shortly.
I am in, now I need to train up for this. :D

I Just had a look at that strava for the ride :shock: how hard is the hill which is over 10km :oops:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm

The hill is easy. The hard part is pacing yourself on GOR, the temptation is to try and stay with your group up every hill, but it's too many matches too early. Lots of people blow up before the top of the climb, and from there it's a loooong way to the finish.

Sent from my iThingy...

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

twizzle wrote:The hill is easy. The hard part is pacing yourself on GOR, the temptation is to try and stay with your group up every hill, but it's too many matches too early. Lots of people blow up before the top of the climb, and from there it's a loooong way to the finish.

Sent from my iThingy...
Yes I will pace, I am not going in a team, just solo. :D

I am very happy that I have something to train for

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Practise long distances and fuelling. First year I went for gels and ran out. Last year was sports drinks, but it was too cool and I kept on stopping to pee. And I still bonked & cramped both times after hammering in the first 35 k's.

I've ridden 1,700k's in the last four weeks, last Sat was 150km on two bidons, a small OJ and some dried figs, backed up with 120km on Sunday but with lunch at the 90km mark. This year I will be fit enough!!!! And smarter with the pacing.

Sent from my iThingy...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I have just the thing right here. Going cheap ;)

ermatucker

Postby ermatucker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm

17000k twizzle!!!! :O I would mark that as my goal now...yeah i wanna achieve that!!