Gloves Recommendations

kunalraiker

Gloves Recommendations

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 am

Hi All,

I'am looking to purchase some Road Bike Gloves which will keep my hands warm and snug through winter and also provide enough ventilation to avoid sweaty hands.

Would prefer Red ones and on budget!

silentbutdeadly

Re: Gloves Recommendations

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 am

Fox Polarpaw. No idea if they can be had in red but they retail in Oz motorbike shops for around $40. Excellent Oz winter gloves.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:Fox Polarpaw. No idea if they can be had in red but they retail in Oz motorbike shops for around $40. Excellent Oz winter gloves.
All my riding gloves are Fox (except for one pair of fingerless). The motorbike stores stock Fox and a decent range of colours (last time I went in). I have a pair of ladies motocross gloves in black and pink and white that I use for bicycle commuting including in winter but if I remember correctly there were assorted reds in the male range.

I went to the huge upstairs stock section of the Elizabeth Street (Melbourne) Peter Stevens Motorcycle store to find them. Hopefully you have a motorcycle store nearby to you.

I was also looking for a particular pink Fox bicycle glove I'd seen online at the time but the motorbike stores are apparently prohibited by the Australian Fox distributor from bringing in bicycle gloves to their stores - so I was referred to the authorised Fox bicycle apparel seller (99 Bikes - not sure if they are still on the list) and got the exact pair I wanted through them. The motorcycle store was very helpful in calling the distributor. $40 is about right for pricing.

Mine aren't thick gloves but I've found they work well for me over winter, although you will need more than one pair if they get soaked as they do need to dry out.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm

I got some Bontrager gloves that were good down to about 5 degrees. Below that, damn they hurt... but it was only 1-2 rides when it was that bad. I'm a much stronger rider this year, I might complain as my windchill from awesome power might be worse ;)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am

Summernight wrote:All my riding gloves are Fox (except for one pair of fingerless).
For Fox fingerless gloves...try the Fox Reflex http://www.pushys.com.au/fox-reflex-gel ... -2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Of course, they're not pink but they are damn fine roadie glove for both girls and boys.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
Summernight wrote:All my riding gloves are Fox (except for one pair of fingerless).
For Fox fingerless gloves...try the Fox Reflex http://www.pushys.com.au/fox-reflex-gel ... -2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Of course, they're not pink but they are damn fine roadie glove for both girls and boys.
That is really amusing you said that. Guess which type of full length gloves I have? Yes, you guessed it, the Fox Reflex in pink:

Those are the ones I went running around the motorbike and bicycle stores to find. Haven't found a better one yet in that colour. Still looking though.

EDIT: Just did some more looking and the fingerless Fox Reflex do come in pink:

Now, to find a stockist! :D

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone know of a store online or LBS that stocks these, I'am in Melbourne .
No online store seems to have the Fox Gloves in M size.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Anyone know of a store online or LBS that stocks these, I'am in Melbourne .
http://www.this link is broken/Fox-Reflex- ... gory=12722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Red colour but they look to have medium in the colours they do have....

Dave

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:Anyone know of a store online or LBS that stocks these, I'am in Melbourne .
http://www.this link is broken/Fox-Reflex- ... gory=12722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Red colour but they look to have medium in the colours they do have....

Dave

No they don't, try selecting the medium.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 am

Sorry, my apologies. I thought I'd checked it before posting but I must have left the colour on -select-.

Dave

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

DoogleDave wrote:Sorry, my apologies. I thought I'd checked it before posting but I must have left the colour on -select-.

Dave

Please, no reason to apologise, just looking to see if someone knows where I can buy it from.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 am

You know Google have a shopping search don't you? :)

Looks like a few red ones on eBay. Need to check sizing but and the price is a bit up there.

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am

99 Bikes in Port Melbourne sourced the red/pink for me when I got them last year. I'm size large. Price was similar to what is listed on eBay ($30-$40).

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I use a pair of Ninja Ice gloves in winter in Canberra. They are a work type glove and available from some tool shops (total tools) and work wear shops. They are warm grippy due to the rubberised palm - not even close to euro pro but for 8.50 a pair they are the best value cycling accessory I own. You can get them in flouro yellow if you want also.

These Ninja Ice Gloves have a cult following among ice fisherman, winter bicyclists, freezer workers, commercial fisherman, and other cold weather enthusiasts due to their ability to stay soft and flexible down to negative 58 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sold by the pair.

Ninja Ice Gloves:
Hydropellent Technology coated palm and fingertips repels liquids while still providing a firm wet or dry grip
Two layer liner / dual shell construction
07 gauge polyester brushed micro terry liner on the inside for warmth and comfort
15 gauge nylon liner with HPT coating on the outside repels liquids for a firm wet or dry grip
Encapsulated air molecules in outside shell provide a cushioning effect to minimize impact
Coating remains soft and flexible in temperatures as low as -50C/-58F
Treated with Actifresh to kill bacteria and promote freshness
Individually packed pairs with hang tag
Cold storage, commercial fishing, construction, utilities, agriculture, and outdoor winter use.

These are great ice fishing gloves!

From a website review - personally I have found them very versatile for cycling in winter and at the price point why would you not give them a go.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm

The Ninja gloves are outstanding things. I get them from the local safety shoppe. I've used them cycling but by Insert Preferred Deity Here they do get a bit juicy on the palms. So I don't recommend them for cycling unless you are talking blizzard conditions, even the lightweight version. Fantastic work gloves though.