How bright is to bright?

foo on patrol

Re: How bright is to bright?

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 am

Anyone have experience with this light?

http://www.this link is broken/BRC-NiteSta ... t-Light?sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I fixed it. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:02 am

Linky..... she no work!

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 am

il padrone wrote:Linky..... she no work!
I just removed all characters from the URL from the '?' onwards, and then it worked fine.

Couldn't help laughing at their "Mil-Spec" claim, though. I wonder which military specification document they claim their product conforms to? I'm more interested in how much the light + battery weigh, something they've omitted from the description (or at least Cell Bikes' description).

By the way, in response to the OP: here's a review of a similar light: http://reviews.this link is broken/product ... Light.html
Last edited by VRE on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 am

il padrone wrote:Linky..... she no work!
Bugger! :?

Foo

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am

I wish they would give pics of the beam spread and distance! :idea: :roll:

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TGLIHNNSP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

Top of this page: 1000 lumens is a magical pixieland number from a XML U2, and U2s have low colour rendering index. Last link: it will just be a round blob beam pattern.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

So would the next one I put up be better? :?

Foo

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

I just purchased this one:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/1 ... umen-led-b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

use code 'BLF' for $44.21

I'm banking on the range of settings covering my needs for the upcoming winter.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 am

foo on patrol wrote:So would the next one I put up be better? :?

Foo
Probably not

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Jonno wrote:I just purchased this one:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/1 ... umen-led-b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for this, I to am taking the gamble, order placed! :wink:

Foo

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm

MattyK wrote:
rdp_au wrote:.... Recently, the Philips Safety Light was on special and I was able to pick one up for $80 delivered. My initial impressions are that it will work very well as a proper road light. The optics are designed to comply with European regulations which require a cutoff to prevent dazzling oncoming road users. This works very well, as there is a broad and fairly even spread of light from close to the front wheel out to a long way down the road. The beam is also wide so it spreads out to light up the sides of the road as well. Comparing the two lights while standing about 20 metres in front of the bike parked in my driveway is interesting. The AYUPs are very bright and quite dazzling - as to be expected. The Philips looks just like a car headlight on dipped beam.
^ This guy gets it.

You just can't achieve the same effect by tilting a concentric beam pattern light downwards. All it does is blow out the foreground exposure and reduce the distance illumination, and it still doesn't eliminate the glare.
Agree your point about aiming concentric beam lights. PITA. My partial solution is to aim my helmet to the left when passing oncoming cyclists through narrow spaces like the SHB cycleway.

Very interested to try lights with a cutoff beam off-road to see the difference.

I suspect it would be excellent for groomed race courses like the Mont 24 where proper attention is given to keeping the high part of the trail corridor clear of head-height "coathanger" obstacles, but unfortunately our local trails don't seem to get that attention from land managers and I frequently smack my helmet on low branches as it is :(

An arrangement similar to car head lights where an additional bulb (LED) comes into play to change the beam pattern would be required, I suspect.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Off road is a different world and you can ignore my comments. A car high beam type pattern would be best I suspect: wider than taller but still with some upward spill, and upward spill in the corners to illuminate while turning

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Off-road if you want to run a dynamo-powered light the Supernova E3 Triple is probably a good one to use.
The E3 Triple was developed for 24h MTB-races and is used successfully by the Supernova Racing Team. Even Olympic gold medal winner Bart Brentjens and his 4-man team put their faith in the E3 Triple at the 24h-race of the Nuerburg- ring, Germany, winning the race with this dynamo light.
No cut-off beam however, it runs triple concentric-beam LEDs.

The Big Bang was a light designed to cope with both off-road high beam, and a cut-off, dazzle-free lens that meets the German road rules on bike lights. It was hugely expensive and HID rather than LED, but is no longer listed by Supernova on their range.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Jonno wrote:I just purchased this one:

Does that say it has a 30 minute run time? Seems a little on the short side.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Um no! :?

Foo

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 pm

il padrone wrote:Off-road if you want to run a dynamo-powered light the Supernova E3 Triple is probably a good one to use.
The E3 Triple was developed for 24h MTB-races and is used successfully by the Supernova Racing Team. Even Olympic gold medal winner Bart Brentjens and his 4-man team put their faith in the E3 Triple at the 24h-race of the Nuerburg- ring, Germany, winning the race with this dynamo light.
No cut-off beam however, it runs triple concentric-beam LEDs.

The Big Bang was a light designed to cope with both off-road high beam, and a cut-off, dazzle-free lens that meets the German road rules on bike lights. It was hugely expensive and HID rather than LED, but is no longer listed by Supernova on their range.
Supernova E3 triple against busch & mueller Luxos 179U guess what is a better light....
Luxos 179U beats it extremely!!!
Can't compare the 2

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Um no! :?

Foo
Well what is it then? I couldn't find it.

P.S. 'um no' isn't the most useful post ever...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Well look furture than the first page for more discussion! :roll:

http://www.fasttech.com/forums/1285800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Supernova E3 triple against busch & mueller Luxos 179U guess what is a better light....
Luxos 179U beats it extremely!!!
Can't compare the 2
Could if only I could get hold of one to compare :(

As TG hinted at, I really think the Luxos would miss out on the trail foliage judgement stakes. It is designed as an excellent on-road commuter/touring light really.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:Do you think I am the only one around Sydney having AyUps on my commuter bike? So long as I avoid looking directly at the oncoming lights I have no problem with being dazzled. Yes it is a little bit uncomfortable, but so what? You just just deal with it. It really isn't that hard.

In that respect it is no different to dealing with oncoming car headlights on country roads. You just look down and to the left of the opposing lights. They need to have enough light to be able to see where they are going too. I don't see how bikes should not be afforded the same allowance. :?
Aah, so this is the more recent reasoning. I must have misunderstood your earlier post from which I thought the problem was with the "victim"not having flash enough lighting.
trailgumby wrote:The only whingers are those with idiotically inadequate or no lights. Complaining about my lights when you are a dark indeterminate barely detectable object heading in my direction on a possible collision course, well, i make no apology for reflexively giving you my headlight spot beam to work out what sort of threat you might be. Harden up and get some better lights you can see by you goose. :x
As I do not stare directly at bright lights coming at me any more than I do when driving, I still can't work out why my more than adequate headlight is still inadequate during the dark mornings half a dozen times a day to allow me to see well enough not to have to rely on trust that I am still staying on path and prior knowledge of what is underfoot. Perhaps you have another explanation? Other than the obvious one of course - that some people just have unreasonably bright lights. :?

Back in the real world I do suffer some unplanned dismounts directly caused by an inability to see a depression or a tree-root damaged path. Perhaps one day it will be a brick or rock that does not belong. Not something for which I thank twats indulging in an "arms race" to the best and biggest set of spotties.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Back in the real world I do suffer some unplanned dismounts directly caused by an inability to see a depression or a tree-root damaged path. Perhaps one day it will be a brick or rock that does not belong. Not something for which I thank twats indulging in an "arms race" to the best and biggest set of spotties.
But isn't this the cause of the misunderstanding? Your acceptance that a brick or rock will knock you off cause you didnt see it is someone elses (mine included) version of not bright enough.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Aah, so this is the more recent reasoning. I must have misunderstood your earlier post from which I thought the problem was with the "victim"not having flash enough lighting.
Am I only allowed one reason? :wink: Interesting. :D

Those riders that are visible, I am conscientious to avoid dazzling by pointing my helmet lights away. Sometimes I forget, but not often.

Of the half-dozen or so who've complained to (or at) me in the last 18 months or so, the strike rate is 100%: they've either been ninjas without any lights at all, or their lights were so close to dead they might as well have been unlit ninjas. Do they really believe a single LED powered by an almost-dead watch battery does anything to help others see them? :roll: :lol:

I mean this seriously, what do they realistically expect people to do? They're as good as invisible, a collision waiting to happen, how is it they can be surprised people feel the need to use their lights to identify what they are and confirm they're not going to collide?

Maybe they're just a bit dim (pun intended).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am

eeksll wrote:But isn't this the cause of the misunderstanding? Your acceptance that a brick or rock will knock you off cause you didnt see it is someone elses (mine included) version of not bright enough.
And the lighting arms-race goes on....... :roll:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:21 am

All I will say is that at 35-50kph in darkness (no street/ambient lighting) a 300lumen light simply does not cut it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 am

Lukeyboy wrote:All I will say is that at 35-50kph in darkness (no street/ambient lighting) a 300lumen light simply does not cut it.
A lady I know commutes and she just wanted to be lit up like a football stadium for personal safety. :shock: