Crash on Anzac HWY

Dazzman

Crash on Anzac HWY

Postby Dazzman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi everyone, I just want to warn you all to be careful on Anzac Hwy when heading towards the city. I was riding on the long weekend, had just passed Marion road heading towards city when I hit something on the road which took the handlebars out from under me. Turned out a tree root had lifted up a section of the road surface right in the middle of the bike lane. I didn't see it coming and as I was just changing my hand position on the bars the hit threw me sideways at approx 40km/h. I went over the bars and ended up coming to a rest next to the median strip. The bike is not too bad but I now have a separated shoulder due to a grade 3 AC ligament injury which may require surgery. So be careful in the bike lane between Marion and South Rd (address approx 245 Anzac Hwy - thats where the ambulance picked me up)

Dan's Avanti

Re: Crash on Anzac HWY

Postby Dan's Avanti » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes, i have noticed the surface there is quite poor. Hope you recover well.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 am

Bugger, get well soon.

Thanks for letting us know, I use Anzac Hwy heaps ,and often in dark too

puddy69

Postby puddy69 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the warning sorry to read about your crash.
I rode Anzac Highway on Saturday and the same thing nearly happened to me with a bad bump in the bike lane hope you are recovering well.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Has anyone reported it to the local council?

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm

anzac highway is an absolute disaster and unless you are on it at 7am on the weekend when there are no cars, something bad will probably happen to you

the mike turtur bikeway runs all the way from the city to glenelg, no reason to ride on the death trap that is anzac highway

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 pm

alex wrote:anzac highway is an absolute disaster and unless you are on it at 7am on the weekend when there are no cars, something bad will probably happen to you

the mike turtur bikeway runs all the way from the city to glenelg, no reason to ride on the death trap that is anzac highway
wish i knew this before riding anzac hwy on saturday...
should research more before riding, just get worried about taking the road bike off the roads incase of gravel paths or getting lost :lol:

Dazzman

Postby Dazzman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Just an update - I rang the West Torrens council about the road surface where I crashed as it is within their boundaries but they weren't interested because apparently Anzac Highway comes under state government responsibility. Have contacted the road transport dept and they said that they would be sending someone out to have a look at the road surface

puddy69

Postby puddy69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Looks like they have been out already ,rode ANZAC today the the areas have been marked out with spray paint so hopefully they will be repaired soon.

AusAce

Postby AusAce » Wed May 01, 2013 11:19 pm

If you can't afford to inspect/maintain something, then you can't afford it. It's unbelievable the talk of new roads and paths with the condition of most routes.
Shouldn't take an ambulance and a responsibility merry go round not to have dangerous bike lanes. The arterial roads they've dug up half the bike lane for water/gas? lines are worse off than before with a fair seam to open up they'll soon get worse.
Lowracer Evangelist\Test Pilot