Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

takai

Re: Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

Postby takai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

In the end i have ordered a pair of SKS chromoplastixs and a pair of Crudracers. So then I can compare them directly.

In the end my wife will use the Crudracers as her roadie/commuter doesn't have lugs or clearance.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 pm

I have the SKS Chromoplastics P35s on a road bike with long-reach calipers and 23mm tyres are fine but 25mm tyres with short-reach brakes might be a problem.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 pm

I have ordered a set of SKS Chromoplastic Raceblade LONGs to replace my defunct Crud Roadracers.

I noticed the mounting of the Raceblade Longs is quite different from the "standard" Raceblades and hopefully this makes a big difference to their fit and functioning. The design of the standard Raceblades did not work for me on the Kinesis.

Raceblade Long

Raceblade

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 pm

biker jk wrote:I have the SKS Chromoplastics P35s on a road bike with long-reach calipers and 23mm tyres are fine but 25mm tyres with short-reach brakes might be a problem.
Shouldn't be but it may depend on your frame clearances. I run the 35mm SKS mudguards on a classic road bike with the old SunTour Superbe brakes and 19mm tyres but I have also run 25mm tyres with them and clearance was fine.

These are the brakes and mudguards

takai

Postby takai » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Just got my SKS Chromoplastics, and on first impression: what a fiddly annoying pain in the arse. The whole integrated end cap thing just doesnt work well, and because of the nature of the guard each of the adjustments affects the others.

Plus the brake mounting holes dont fit recessed bolts, and then the front mount fouled on the headset, requiring a bunch of modifying.

I hope they work better than they fit.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 pm

takai wrote:Just got my SKS Chromoplastics, and on first impression: what a fiddly annoying pain in the arse. The whole integrated end cap thing just doesnt work well, and because of the nature of the guard each of the adjustments affects the others.

Plus the brake mounting holes dont fit recessed bolts, and then the front mount fouled on the headset, requiring a bunch of modifying.

I hope they work better than they fit.
They are much easier to fit if you ignore the instructions. Don't fit the end caps until the stays have been cut to size. Much easier if you do it in this order. I had the same problem with the front brake mount hitting the headset so had to bend it back. Moreover by fitting the brake mount to the front of the fork this means the mudguard ends up too high and so water/mud splashes on the lower half of the downtube.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:44 am

Twas real steel for me and shiny as a new pin.
I decided to try the Gilles Berthound polished stainless steel for my Ogre build.
Received the TNT tracking number yesterday.

"Description:

Gilles Berthoud stainless fenders 60 SHORT for 700C tires - Complet predrilled with fixation kit
Strong and excellent mud and rain covering of the tires, it is THE fenders for touring bike.
The front fender is 150mm long ahead of the silent blos hole.
Fits for tire from 700C x 2,00 to 2,35 inches
Delivered with complete fixing set"

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSSFS-70 ... set___700c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope they work :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

takai

Postby takai » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

These seem to be a new design of end cap, integrated in with the clip. Image

I think if I have to adjust them at all ill cut off the holder and just put the end cap bit on the stay directly.

Also, painful for bikes without a lower chain stay bridge. Image

Although I dare say a couple of holes and a zip tie will fix that.

Will see how the Roadracers go on my wife's bike on the weekend.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:06 pm

takai wrote:These seem to be a new design of end cap, integrated in with the clip. Image

I think if I have to adjust them at all ill cut off the holder and just put the end cap bit on the stay directly.

Also, painful for bikes without a lower chain stay bridge. Image

Although I dare say a couple of holes and a zip tie will fix that.

Will see how the Roadracers go on my wife's bike on the weekend.
My P45s from 2008 have the same design, as does my 2011 set currently on my bike. You can of course slice the top off if you like, or just get the stays cut to the correct length before fitting the caps.
At a cost of $35 the Chromoplastics are great value. They work best on bikes designed to have guards, otherwise tyre clearances can be an issue.
Your rear guard appears to be too high.

Here is how mine fits:

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

takai

Postby takai » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm

My rear is about the same height as yours, just looks weird from that angle.

Perhaps this is a better angle:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 pm

takai wrote:My rear is about the same height as yours, just looks weird from that angle.

Perhaps this is a better angle:
On my bike, the rear guard screws into a mounting eyelet right behind the bottom bracket.
On your bike it looks like your guard is attached to the seat tube, and the guard does not reach the bottom bracket.
On my previous bike there was a little bridge behind the bottom bracket that the guard clipped onto.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

takai

Postby takai » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Yeah, thats the chainstay bridge, which this bike doesnt have. To have a bridge you need longer chainstays, which this bike lacks. Makes it nice and snappy for around town, but it it limited for the guards.

I have ended up leaving the guard rotated slightly rearward for more rearward coverage as well as making it easier to ziptie on.... :)

takai

Postby takai » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok, to update this. Have the mud guards on both bikes. Overall the Crudracers are TONS easier to setup, and took about 1/4 of the time that the SKS did.

SKS work pretty well, but rattle a fair amount as the front guard flexes enough left and right that the bolt clips the braking surface :S Sweet pain in the arse.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

takai wrote:Ok, to update this. Have the mud guards on both bikes. Overall the Crudracers are TONS easier to setup, and took about 1/4 of the time that the SKS did.

SKS work pretty well, but rattle a fair amount as the front guard flexes enough left and right that the bolt clips the braking surface :S Sweet pain in the arse.
Can you get the rear wheel off 'Larry' with the guards on? Looks awfully close, although I suppose the tyre would mainly be flat when you're getting it off, however you'd want to be sure it could in case you try to install a wheel with the tyre pumped up.

Cheers,

Cameron

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Can you get the rear wheel off 'Larry' with the guards on? Looks awfully close, although I suppose the tyre would mainly be flat when you're getting it off, however you'd want to be sure it could in case you try to install a wheel with the tyre pumped up.

Cheers,

Cameron
If you're asking about the Crudracers I can say from personal experience that the rear wheel can be taken off and on flat as well as fully pumped up with the mudguards in place.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 pm

takai wrote:SKS work pretty well, but rattle a fair amount as the front guard flexes enough left and right that the bolt clips the braking surface
Had this same problem on my flat bar roadie. I solved it by wedging a couple of small pieces of pipe insulation foam between the mudguard and the fork. They don't rattle no more!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

takai

Postby takai » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
takai wrote:Ok, to update this. Have the mud guards on both bikes. Overall the Crudracers are TONS easier to setup, and took about 1/4 of the time that the SKS did.

Can you get the rear wheel off 'Larry' with the guards on? Looks awfully close, although I suppose the tyre would mainly be flat when you're getting it off, however you'd want to be sure it could in case you try to install a wheel with the tyre pumped up.

Cheers,

Cameron
Hadnt thought about that. Probably not. Guess i just hope for no punctures.... :S

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 am

Summernight wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Can you get the rear wheel off 'Larry' with the guards on? Looks awfully close, although I suppose the tyre would mainly be flat when you're getting it off, however you'd want to be sure it could in case you try to install a wheel with the tyre pumped up.

Cheers,

Cameron
If you're asking about the Crudracers I can say from personal experience that the rear wheel can be taken off and on flat as well as fully pumped up with the mudguards in place.
Hi Summernight,
I'd noticed that takai has a single speed with rearward pointing fork ends (dropouts point forward or down), to remove the wheel means that it has to go backwards and there is not a lot of space to do that.

If he has to remove the wheel he might be able to get away with it if the tyre is flat. If he can he'd also need to reinstall the wheel with the tyre flat and then inflate it. If he can't then a puncture will be a more complex issue for him than for most others since it would involve having to release the guard.

Cheers,

Cameron

takai

Postby takai » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 am

ironhanglider wrote:
Summernight wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
Hi Summernight,
I'd noticed that takai has a single speed with rearward pointing fork ends (dropouts point forward or down), to remove the wheel means that it has to go backwards and there is not a lot of space to do that.

If he has to remove the wheel he might be able to get away with it if the tyre is flat. If he can he'd also need to reinstall the wheel with the tyre flat and then inflate it. If he can't then a puncture will be a more complex issue for him than for most others since it would involve having to release the guard.

Cheers,

Cameron
I think im going to section the guard at the top, and put one of these cam latches to join it together:

Plus getting another pair of the SKS Secu Clips to put on the rear mounts. That way the rear of the guard will be removable without tools.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

Any one recommend which brands to go for on a DISC equipped bike?
CX bike with 35mm tyres and bb7's.

Thinking SKS45's.
The clearance not an issue, just initial fitment..ie. making up some stainless steel bracketry to get around calipers.

How is the NDS side mounted on the Lynskey(?) in Queereg's post? Any tips? Any brands better than SKS.
I've only ever fitted recycled old steel gaurds so not sure what is out there.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

This is probably all you need to know about mounting SKS mudguards with a BB7.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Cool. so there's plenty of length in the mountings? I had a feeling they might be a set (ie. short) length.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Nobody wrote:This is probably all you need to know about mounting SKS mudguards with a BB7.
What size guards and tyre are they, just to give an idea of clearance?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:I have ordered a set of SKS Chromoplastic Raceblade LONGs to replace my defunct Crud Roadracers.
Any feedback on those raceblade longs?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 pm

boyracer wrote:Cool. so there's plenty of length in the mountings? I had a feeling they might be a set (ie. short) length.
BYO longer bolt and spacer to suit. Stays are usually easily long enough.

If you want a complete kit, then Planet Bike Cascadia do a set which has the longer bolts and spacers included.