What to wear Mountain Biking?

mattwilkinson

What to wear Mountain Biking?

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

Hey guys,

So i've been mountain biking for the last few months, Catching trains to woodend and whatnot.
But i was wondering, what do you wear riding?

Now, I hate sitting on the train wearing lycra...
But then again I don't want DH kit + full face helmet...

I mainly ride XC, what do you wear?

Ross

Re: What to wear Mountain Biking?

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 am

You can get "shy shorts" that have the lycra inner and look like normal shorts on the outside

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... OU-SHO.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 pm

My preference is bibknicks for comfort reasons, regardless of outerwear.

Ground Effect and NZO make overshorts you can put on over the top, which have a high crutch so your shorts don't snag on the saddle (which can lead to results more embarassing than being caught on a train in lycra :lol: ).

I tend to wear overshorts more in winter. Too hot in summer, unless you're hunting extra points for Commuter Cup Racing.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 pm

I rode in t-shirt and shorts for many years. Only recently discovered the benefits of 'sportswear' I don't have any tight fitting jerseys, only t shirt style and always have shorts on. For commuting I've got a pair of shorts with an inbuilt liner and chamois, for recreational riding I just go with normal grundies and board shorts. Longer rides I'll don the knicks, but still with shorts over. Snagged a pair of MTB shorts from Aldi, ditched the inners (uncomfortable) and just use the outer layer now.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Matt, I like the lack of bagginess and the wicking of lycra and close-cut Jerseys, so usually for me, MTB dress = road dress plus shorts over the top. :smile:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Now, I hate sitting on the train wearing lycra...
Why??? :?

I and my cycle club-mates do it all the time. Clothes is clothes.... don't be so hung up on image and "what others might think" :|

Gawd, there's people on those trains wearing moccasins, wearing jeans with the a### hanging out of them, carrying a huge amount of extra blubber - they're all probably jealous of you deep down.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:12 pm

I ride in these shorts:
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/RAS ... indy-short

And a semi fitted cycling top.

Don't bother with knicks underneath, maybe it is from years of riding a road bike and triathlons with bugger all padding but for < 2hr ride doesn't bother me.

They are stretch fabric so quite snug fitting and not baggy but you have things like pockets and cargo pockets on the side (zippered so great for keys/phone).

Add to that spd recessed cleats on the shoes and I can ride to the shops and pick up a few things and not really draw any 2nd looks but comfortable and functional on the bike and on trails.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:I mainly ride XC, what do you wear?
I've got a few pairs of the 'shy' shorts mentioned above, my favourites being TLD Skylines, my least favourite being Fox Rangers.

Up top I have a number of loose MTB jerserys from various brands in various sleeve lengths. Nothing really fitted.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 pm

In summer I wear my most expendable Lycra due to the heat. In the cooler months I have some ground effect shorts and a jersey that I wear.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm

il padrone wrote:

I and my cycle club-mates do it all the time. Clothes is clothes.... don't be so hung up on image and "what others might think" :|

Gawd, there's people on those trains wearing moccasins, wearing jeans with the a### hanging out of them, carrying a huge amount of extra blubber - they're all probably jealous of you deep down.
+1

It's like wearing hi-viz if you're a tradie, or suit and tie if a *anker (just assume that began with a 'b'). Lycra/Spandex is just what you wear if you want a properly comfortable bicycle ride. No reason to be embarrassed about it.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I wear a polo shirt. Cargo shorts and cross trainers.
Comfort is key ! Drag and efficiency isn't the most important, fun is ! :)
Wheelies, skids, jumps,messing about.
:)

ab1981

Postby ab1981 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

T-shirt, boardies and Vans Old Skool flats. Can't beat that kit for comfort!

Wear whatever you're comfortable in, particularly if you're riding for fun and not setting out to beat land/speed records in the bush.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 pm

ab1981 wrote:Wear whatever you're comfortable in, particularly if you're riding for fun and not setting out to beat land/speed records in the bush.
... which is precicely why I've landed on wearing what is, for all intents and purposes, roadie kit. T-shirts hold too much water (sweat), and as a result get uncomfortable and chafe, and I miss the rear-facing pockets of my jersey. Objects like phones and keys in shy shorts pockets flap around and the slapping of the loose weight on my legs is a distraction I can do without when negotiating tricky technical sections. As for having to undo zips and fish about in tight pockets for gels without slackening pace... forget it! :lol:

There was one girl in our ride group who fancied herself as a bit of a maven. She used to whinge about blokes wearing shy shorts on "her" rides being too revealing. Interestingly, as soon as the ride was finished, she'd (in the blink of an eye, it seems) have changed out of her riding kit into a dress, and touched up the perfume, eyeshadow, replaced the big hoop earrings and fixed her hair. The dress inevitably had a plunging neckine that showcased her... assets.

Ummm ... yeah.. OK... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I gave that ride group the flick when I saw her chasing off other girls who came along occasionally.
Last edited by trailgumby on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, I'm only 14, so you tend to cop some flack wearing lycra!

I ALWAYS wear it on the road bike, Just like to see what people wear mountain biking.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am

Baggy shorts will give you urban cred. At least make your T shirt of a 'technical' material rather than cotton. :smile:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am

wurtulla wabbit wrote:I wear a polo shirt. Cargo shorts and cross trainers.
Comfort is key ! Drag and efficiency isn't the most important, fun is ! :)
Exactly why most riders with a lot of experience wear lycra shorts.
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Wheelies, skids, jumps,messing about.
:)
Lycra never stopped me from doing any of that :idea: (though mostly I value the bike a bit more than to do it willfully - except maybe on the MTB)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 am

mattwilkinson wrote:Well, I'm only 14, so you tend to cop some flack wearing lycra!
Stuff 'em! Be your own man :)

The only real advantage of some MTB shy/liner shorts is they give you a bit more abrasion resistance for trail rides when you take an 'off'. But they are hotter wear in summer, and can bunch up and get less-than-comfortable. So pros and cons.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 am

Either lycra bib shorts or under shorts and sport shorts.

The latter combo of Ground Effect or DHB undershorts and the Fast Eddie shorts from Macpac has proven extremely comfortable even during the hottest summer days that the semi-arid interior of Oz can throw at you. Most of the ride specific MTB shorts are too heavily built to remain cool in over the summer but on the upside they are a bit more durable in an off!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am

il padrone wrote:Clothes is clothes.... don't be so hung up on image and "what others might think" :|
il padrone wrote:Be your own man

An admirable sentiment, one which applies no matter what type of riding you do or how new or old to cycling you are :wink:

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 pm

London Boy wrote:
il padrone wrote:

+1

It's like wearing hi-viz if you're a tradie, or suit and tie if a *anker (just assume that began with a 'b'). Lycra/Spandex is just what you wear if you want a properly comfortable bicycle ride. No reason to be embarrassed about it.
^^^ This x 11ty billion. Not like your riding around nude. Your clothed and the padding hides any male definition of your giblets so there is no need to be concerned. :wink:

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm

ab1981 wrote:T-shirt, boardies and Vans Old Skool flats. Can't beat that kit for comfort!
...says nobody who has ever ridden in purpose-designed cycling kit.

Maybe socially more comfortable, but cycling kit has evolved purely for the purpose of being comfortable on a bike. Street clothes just can't compare.

I never understood the move in MTB from lycra knicks to "shy" and baggy pants, which happened in the late '90s. However snug fitting they are in the crotch, no baggy pants will ever be as close fitting as knicks, and will always have more chance of snagging on the saddle. That's something I really don't like, so I only ever had a couple of pairs of shy shorts... which I rarely wore, preferring to stick with lycra. I think they eventually went in a Salvos bin.

So, I rode in lycra knicks and a T-shirt for many years. Preferably a wicking synthetic kind of "tech" t-shirt.

Recently, I picked up a couple of jerseys, mainly for riding on the road, but I come to love them, so they're now my default MTB kit as well.

If you're a bit self conscious about riding the train in lycra, wear a pair of lightweight shorts over the top, then stash them in your camelback when you get to the trails. You'll probably get over it eventually, when you're old and shameless like il Padrone and me :oops: :lol: , but until then, a pair of footy shorts in your pack won't weigh you down any.

tim

ab1981

Postby ab1981 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 pm

barefoot wrote:
ab1981 wrote:T-shirt, boardies and Vans Old Skool flats. Can't beat that kit for comfort!
...says nobody who has ever ridden in purpose-designed cycling kit.

I must be in the minority - Riding anywhere up to 500km a week on the road in lyrca, it's nice to get out in the boardies and t-shirt on the MTB. Each to their own I guess. :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 am

I don't go mountain biking, but I do own a lot of gear from Ground Effect. It's really well designed, comfortable and looks good too. Can't beat that!

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 am

Reason I also wear cargo shorts etc is pockets.
Phone, keys sweets etc.
Sometimes wear a small camelback if I am going out for a while but mostly just stuff what I need in the pockets.
To be totally honest , I'll wear pretty much whatever I have on at the time when I take the urge to grab the mountain bike out.
Same with my pink haro bmx !
After all, I am only 41 on the outside ! :)

I will ride casually, just in case I pass the tavern on a hot sunny day.......
Oh dear, a cyclist that doesn't like helmets and look ! He's now talking about having beer too !!!

Hahahahaha.......

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Pretty much what I wear on most rides.

Endura Hummvee shorts or GE Ranchsliders longs and a sports T or jersey depending on what's on top of the drawer full of tops.