Noosa Strade Bianche

Wakatuki

Re: Noosa Eroica 2013

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 am

Me too on the erotica thing, I went straight to website photos :lol:
Didn't know if I would find something like the Queen, Bicycle race video.
Picture of Raleigh,

Link to my Bike snaps public folder,Bike pictures new photos coming in May, when I finally get my new camera given to me! It is purchased, but not my B'day yet..... :(

spinner

Re: Noosa Eroica 2013

Postby spinner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I keep reading the title as Noosa Erotica :lol: :lol:

That's why the name change!
Noosa Strade Bianche :D

Hey munga are you able to change the title of this thread??

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Noosa Strade Bianche

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 am

[mod]Subject changed as requested[/mod]

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 am

thank you, mike.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 am

thank you, mike.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm keen again. Can't wait.

For some reason I can't get the route link to download. How different is it from the last couple of years? Am I going to need gears?

By the way I loved the writeup in the last issue of RIDE magazine. Especially all the piccies of me (my back) and my bike. :)

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
By the way I loved the writeup in the last issue of RIDE magazine. Especially all the piccies of me (my back) and my bike. :)
which issue, scott?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 pm

munga wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
which issue, scott?
The last one. Issue #58

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: For some reason I can't get the route link to download. How different is it from the last couple of years? Am I going to need gears?

The route is the same until Kin Kin, then instead of going east on the dirt to Boreen Point, it just goes along the main road through Pomona to Cooroy (which means over the Kin Kin range, fairly enjoyable stretch), then back past the bottom of Cooroy mountain the same way we go out. It's a pity to miss the gravel of Dr Pages Rd but that's a fair price to pay to avoid the horrible bitumen and headwind through Cootharaba.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 am

Sounds good.

spinner

Postby spinner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am

Not quite right Lachy....

We go to Cooroy using the same route, then thru town & up Black Mountain; left at the top & out to Cooran via Middle Creek & Federal. Very scenic.
There are a couple more sectors of gravelly goodness to compensate for the loss of Dr Pages Road.....
a ripper heart-in-the-mouth-descent off the back of Black Mountain and a lung buster up to Jampot Creek Road.
This one more makes up for the loss of the Jampot climb out of Pomona :twisted:

A few folk commented on the slightly boring homeward leg thru Boreen Point;
The new return leg over Kin Kin Range & on to Pinbarren & Pomona is a ripper.

We go back into Tewantin reversing the Cooroy Mountain gravel sectors too.. a couple of tight pinches in there 8)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 am

Excellent. That last bit home was mind numbing. If I lived around there I would avoid that road like the plague.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:48 pm

spinner wrote:Not quite right Lachy....
OOps, my bad :oops: , don't know how I missed that on the map there. Sankeys Rd will be an absolute killer :shock: . You're right, that's more than a match for the wall on Jampot!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:46 am

* Wraps bike in cotton wool* :)

cotterpin531

Postby cotterpin531 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm

In response to Munga’s assumption on this forum re: equipment. Suggesting the use of aluminium/carbon bikes. The Noosa Strade Bianche website clearly states under participation rules the following. Pre 1990 steel framed with down tube shifters & clipless pedals are allowed. This surely does not constitute carbon / aluminium / STI lever fitted bikes .As Idrycycles rightly stated there has been the very odd bike which in past years has not conformed to these rules. I believe this instance was more a lack of appreciation / misunderstanding of the initial guidelines. The original Noosa L’eroica 2011 was the brain child of Spinner and myself. It was designed to roughly replicate the famous Italian L’Eroica which now attracts some 5000 confirming enthusiasts. Individuals celebrating Vintage Cycling from a golden era , Lugged steel frames, leather seats, antiquated gearing, woolen jerseys and outlandish moustaches. I firmly believe that all Noosa Strade Bianche riders should conform to the PARTICIPANT RULES in adhering to tradition. There are events on every weekend for bikes that fit modern designs. But there is only one Noosa Strade Bianche for dedicated enthusiasts of classic vintage cycling. Let’s keep it that way. Cotterpin 531

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Cotterpin from the L'Erocia rules PDF

Article 6 – Criteria for admission
Only cyclists with vintage bicycles will be permitted to participate.
Your vintage bicycle must have all the following characteristics:
• road racing bicycle, built before 1987 (not cyclo cross or time trial bike);
• steel frame (the only aluminum frame bikes permitted are ALAN or VITUS with either screwed or glued joints); • gear shift levers on the down tube of the frame (exceptionally, only pre-1980 bar-end gear shifts are allowed); • pedals with toe clips and fitted straps (quick release pedals are not allowed, except Cinelli M71 pedals);
• the passage of brake cable outside the handlebars.
New bicycles with steel frames can be used but they must be assembled with vintage components (gear levers, handlebars, pedals, etc..).
The adjustment of the rear wheel gears to suit the difficulty of the route is permitted.
Exemptions regarding the type of bicycle will be granted to participants with disabilities, as long as they make a specific request to the organization.
For the 38 km route, other types of bicycles will be admitted, such as postman’s bikes, general working bicycles, leisure bicycles, municipal bicycles etc., as long as they are vintage. Mountain bikes are excluded because they did not exist before 1985.
Any registered cyclist who arrives at the start line or is found on the course with a bicycle that does not conform to the rules and regulations of the event, will be disqualified immediately.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't know where they got the idea that MTB's didn't exist before 1985. Don't tell Joe Breeze, Steve Potts, Tom Ritchey, Charlie Cunningham and Gary Fisher.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

cotterpin531 wrote:... In response to Munga’s assumption on this forum re: equipment. Suggesting the use of aluminium/carbon bikes. The Noosa Strade Bianche website clearly states under participation rules the following. Pre 1990 steel framed with down tube shifters & clipless pedals are allowed. This surely does not constitute carbon / aluminium / STI lever fitted bikes ...
so is that a clear no to alan/vitus/tvt/look alloy and/or carbon retrobikes? i know plenty of guys with these kind of bikes, and it sounds like you're either excluding anything other than steel frames, or you've simply not thought it through. there were plenty of non-steel frames built before 1990 (or even 1987)..

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 pm

While I respect that the event is your and Spinner's creation and I will go with what you decide, I would like to say I feel getting too specific could be overly restrictive.
Vitus for example were around in the late 70s, and if they were good enough for Sean Kelly...
As for where the shifters are located I would put that more to personal preference, I actually found myself reaching for the downtube while riding a new carbon bike today :oops: .

The other side of it is that one of my favourite steel bikes, my Tarini, ticks all the boxes but sports a group made in 1991, so would it then be ineligible?

While I understand the original Italian L'Eroica has strict restrictions I would personally adopt a more laidback approach.

Just my two bob's worth, like I said, this is your event, and whatever you decide I am cool with.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

I'd also like clarification. For example, does the DT shifting gear, wheelset, etc. also need to be pre 1990? On that, can I ask what the relevance of 1990 is? I can understand 1987 if you're trying to copy L'Erioca, but 1990 seems a bit arbitrary - unless of course one of you guys has a steel frame from 1988-1990...

Agree that its probably not been thought through enough, or perhaps not communicated correctly.

Oh, while I'm at it - since you've gone to the trouble of building a website, would it be possible to build an online registration form?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Err ok.
So in the case of my bike which I am almost certain is 501 and is a steel frame. The components are however early 90's and original. I think the frame was built either late 80's or 1980. I have tried to get it dated but failed.
It has shifters on the down tube, the pedals and cages are original, unfortunately the leather has been replaced with nylon as they perished.
But everything is original including the bar tape! It has a Selle Royal Shark saddle again whichI believe is original, not leather...
Frame number WP8001623 and a number 5 rotated clockwise above the WP A quick look on Velo base dates the Exage 300ex from 1989. Best guesses are a late 80's factory build steel.
If Idrcycles wants to run this bike will it be acceptable?

spinner

Postby spinner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 pm

I think that the Strade Bianche requisites, as a 'celebration of the heroic age of cycling' , would be pretty clear....

STEEL FRAMED BIKE PRE 1990.
I'd have no way of knowing the actual date of your frame etc & don't really care... what's important is that we all buy into the SPIRIT of the ride, right?
Alum framed & lugged Alans or whatever would be fine (even if they may ride like an overcooked noodle on some of the roads).
The earlier discussion seemed to relate to carbon tubed & lugged frames.... NOT in keeping, I would have thought.
So.....NO CARBON FIBRE.

Second 'rule';
DOWNTUBE SHIFTERS.
This probably informed the notion of a 1990 cut off; no STI SHIFTERS.
Again, relates to the above.

All pretty simple & straight forward.

The L'EROICA RULES were posted earlier...... NOOSA STRADE BIANCHE is nowhere near as onerous;
Clipless pedals.....OK
Also, no worries about cabling concealed under bar-tape.
Garmins etc are ok.
Run whatever wheels, but look at the above & figure it out....

Again, I'm not really stressed if anyone turns up on a 2012 Cervelo... they'd just better be prepared to be mercilously slagged off at, by all and sundry for 128km :roll:

I could setup online registration, but how difficult is it to lick a stamp & post a letter?

Was the internet around for most of us in 1990???? :D

That's the only cost.

Donations to the 2013 Million Metres for MND Cycle Challenge would be nice though.
http://www.millionmetresformndcycle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

munga

Postby munga » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 pm

cotterpin
cotterpin531 wrote:In response to Munga’s assumption on this forum re: equipment. Suggesting the use of aluminium/carbon bikes. The Noosa Strade Bianche website clearly states under participation rules the following. Pre 1990 steel framed with down tube shifters & clipless pedals are allowed. This surely does not constitute carbon / aluminium / STI lever fitted bikes ... I firmly believe that all Noosa Strade Bianche riders should conform to the PARTICIPANT RULES in adhering to tradition. There are events on every weekend for bikes that fit modern designs. But there is only one Noosa Strade Bianche for dedicated enthusiasts of classic vintage cycling. Let’s keep it that way. Cotterpin 531
cotterpin531, the point i was trying to make (and one which i think has been taken out of context) is that by saying "steel framed bikes, pre-1990" you're excluding all of those old bonded and/or glued frames, as well as a lot of nice new 'classic-style' steel..

i completely agree that excluding modern ergo-sti shifters and hydroformed or monocoque frames (or others of that ilk) is a good idea, but maybe a rewording or loosening of the interpretation of what classifies a classic bike wouldn't go astray.

however, as spinner goes on to say if it's all about the spirit of the good old days, then i'm sure you will have no trouble accepting bikes such as my 1974 alan (alloy lugs and tubes, 6sp campag/dura-ace bitsa), or my 1989 sr sakae litage (alloy lugs and tubes again, this time all 7sp dura-ace) or even my 1985 vitus carbone (alloy lugs and carbon tubes, if it wasn't running 10sp record).
NOTE: moot point, coz i'll probably be riding an old reynolds 531 frame of some description. steel is real and all that.. 8)

munga

Postby munga » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 pm

http://www.noosa-stradebianche.com.au/participate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website updated today:

BICYCLES ARE TO BE PRE 1990, STEEL FRAMED, WITH DOWNTUBE SHIFTERS
NO STI OR ERGO LEVERS.
CLIPLESS PEDALS ARE ALLOWED.
ALLOY TUBED & LUGGED FRAMES SUCH AS ‘VITUS’ OF THIS ERA ARE PERMITTED.
NO CARBON FIBRE.

so keep your 80's carbon at home - they're not ready for it, marty!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm cool with that, I can just imagine a 25+yr old crabon frame asploding all over the downhill side of Shadbolt Rd :lol: .

First coat of clear on my first resto for the year tomorrow, sandblasted some of the parts for the BSA today too.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia