Have you seen some great cycling infrastructure innovation?

Aushiker

Have you seen some great cycling infrastructure innovation?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 am

If you have come across some innovative urban or rural bicycle infrastructure in AUSTRALIA please consider completing a two-minute survey providing feedback to the Australian Bicycle Council (ABC).

The Australian Bicycle Council are developing a series of case studies of innovative urban and regional bicycle infrastructure to showcase projects which pilot bicycle infrastructure treatments at mid-block and intersections—treatments which are not part of the Cycling Aspects of Austroads. I would suggest if you are not sure if your example is in the guide or not, just submit it anyway as I am sure the Australian Bicycle Council can sort out what is not part of the guide or not.

More details and a link to the survey can be found here.

Regards
Andrew

george-bob

Re: Have you seen some great cycling infrastructure innovati

Postby george-bob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:27 am

Nope, i live in Sydney!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 am

Aushiker wrote:Image
I ride down there every day to and from work. Will be great when finished

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am

jasonc wrote:
I ride down there every day to and from work. Will be great when finished
I dont see any markings/lane works for canoes/kayaks...but I guess when the Brissie river floods yet again you wont be able to see any markings

Edit: But that does look good...would be great if NSW could do things similar

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 am

Loos nice and well-organised....... but oh brother I'd be awfully wary of that surface traction for such a tight turn!! :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 am

il padrone wrote:
Loos nice and well-organised....... but oh brother I'd be awfully wary of that surface traction for such a tight turn!! :shock:
yep. have slipped on the blue and white checks before making a turn.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 am

Hmm, so we already have pedestrian crossings, is the blue and white section a police crossing?? :lol:

Looks good, great visual way to define areas for different users.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 am

All the pretty colours.... :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 am

Summernight wrote:All the pretty colours.... :shock:
MOST of the time it works pretty well. As expected, I still have occasional issues. But the AirZound normally fixes that

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 pm

While I think that the intersection is a great idea in principle, I think cyclists should be separated from pedestrians and chess players.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, the police chess board in the middle of the bicycle path probably isn't the best idea. What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned zebra crossing???

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 pm

george-bob wrote:Nope, i live in Sydney!
Never ridden the M7? Never crossed James Ruse Drive on the dedicated (expensive) flyover? Never ridden the Guildford Canal out to Prospect and then joined on to another myriad of shared paths and cycleways leading you all over the place?

You should get out more.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Summernight wrote:Yes, the police chess board in the middle of the bicycle path probably isn't the best idea.

As evidenced by all the skid marks in the foreground.

Is the bike path to pedestrian path ratio the same the whole distance? There's no way Sydney pedestrians would confine themselves to that relatively small strip. All that lurid colour just does not command respect.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Hergest wrote:
Never ridden the M7? Never crossed James Ruse Drive on the dedicated (expensive) flyover? Never ridden the Guildford Canal out to Prospect and then joined on to another myriad of shared paths and cycleways leading you all over the place?

You should get out more.

Hi Hergy,

I've noted before you're from the posh West Guildford. We from the more egalitarian Guildford proper, east of the rail line (the side where all the shootings occur), take a more cynical view of things.

The M7's as good as a path tethered to a motorway can be, but it's still just an adjunct to the road. The Prospect canal path is a very pleasant recreational route, but not really integrated into the neighbourhoods it passes through and I've ridden over James Ruse Drive several times in recent months and I can't say I've even noticed that there's a "dedicated" flyover. In short, there is no "great cycling infrastructure innovation" in Sydney. george-bob has a point.

More notable is just how poor cycling infrastructure is around here. You'll know what a nightmare the Rail Trail at Guildford Station is. And have you seen the recent paint job on Guildford Rd? That's supposed to be an improvement? Then there's the rat-run after the rail trail peters out past Merrylands. Apart from a couple of unsighted narrow turns there's that dangerous and exceptionally ugly Woodville Rd section under the railway bridges. Very narrow, buttress clipping one shoulder, fully laden B-Doubles the other, broken glass your constant companion, all beautifully enhanced by the awe inspiring descents from either direction. I always smile to myself when I survive a northern trip along that section, party because I'm still alive, but mostly at the little bicycle symbol on the traffic lights. Yeah, good one, like this is supposed to a bike path!? Ha, ha.

Sorry to bring the tone down and post the exact opposite of what the OP called for, but that photo seemed to be mocking me.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:20 pm

TTar wrote:
Hergest wrote:

You should get out more.

Hi Hergy,

I've noted before you're from the posh West Guildford. We from the more egalitarian Guildford proper, east of the rail line (the side where all the shootings occur), take a more cynical view of things.

The M7's as good as a path tethered to a motorway can be, but it's still just an adjunct to the road. The Prospect canal path is a very pleasant recreational route, but not really integrated into the neighbourhoods it passes through and I've ridden over James Ruse Drive several times in recent months and I can't say I've even noticed that there's a "dedicated" flyover. In short, there is no "great cycling infrastructure innovation" in Sydney. george-bob has a point.

More notable is just how poor cycling infrastructure is around here. You'll know what a nightmare the Rail Trail at Guildford Station is. And have you seen the recent paint job on Guildford Rd? That's supposed to be an improvement? Then there's the rat-run after the rail trail peters out past Merrylands. Apart from a couple of unsighted narrow turns there's that dangerous and exceptionally ugly Woodville Rd section under the railway bridges. Very narrow, buttress clipping one shoulder, fully laden B-Doubles the other, broken glass your constant companion, all beautifully enhanced by the awe inspiring descents from either direction. I always smile to myself when I survive a northern trip along that section, party because I'm still alive, but mostly at the little bicycle symbol on the traffic lights. Yeah, good one, like this is supposed to a bike path!? Ha, ha.

Sorry to bring the tone down and post the exact opposite of what the OP called for, but that photo seemed to be mocking me.
Fair enough and i would agree with the Guildford Station comments as i go through there ever weekday on my commute but i still believe the M7 is a superb piece of cycling infrastructure whether it's an ajunct to the motorway build or not. I don't know how you miss the James Ruse flyover, it's the big sloped piece of road with no steps that goes over the James Ruse Drive and was built with cyclists in mind as was the approach along Duck River. I wish the same thing had been done with Silverwater Road.

They cut the plants back this arvo on that piece of road just before the railway bridges on the Woodville Road so there's no getting whipped by stray bits of plant hanging down which is better than a poke in the eye.

I won't disagree that there are a million things that need doing but i think we shouldn't ignore what has been done even if it's not enough.

No shooting in Guildford West, the crims are afraid of all the trees we have out here.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 pm

And not 10km from this point is the biggest cycling infrastructure debacle that you could ever want to see.
A bike path that comes out on one of Brisbane's busiest roads where you have to make your way through at least 2 sets of pedestrian crossings to then try and rejoin a further piece of bicycle infrastructure a km or so further along.

Outbound you either need to mount the footpath and follow it for a km or so to then go through 3(?) pedestrian crossings or try to get across 3 lanes of busy traffic to miss 1 of these crossings.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Hergest wrote: I don't know how you miss the James Ruse flyover, .
I missed it because like everyone on this side of the tracks, I'm uneducated and just plain dumb. For some reason I thought you were talking about the James Ruse Drive road bridge going over the river :roll:

Yes, that flyover is pretty neat. And if there were a similar passage over Silverwater Rd and that Woodville Rd House of Horrors could be bypassed it would make for a quite admirable path from Liverpool to Olympic Park. Then if the fabled path from there to the CBD ever happened we'd have an uber-path all the way from Liverpool to the city. And I think they might be extending the Rail Trail beyond Liverpool -- I've seen what looks like construction from the train -- a Campbelltown to Sydney bike path! With dolphins in the adjoining waterways and unicorns grazing on the verdant fields...

There you go, that's my great cycling infrastructure contribution. No matter that it's a little imaginary.