FTP improvement affecting TSS?

Xplora

FTP improvement affecting TSS?

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Read a chunk of Friel's PM book and some of the Training Bible, and I've got this nagging, horrible thought in my head about it all. Here is my thought process.

FTP is the basis for everything.
TSS is a function of effort as compared to FTP.
You are aiming to improve yourself, and as a result, your numbers change.
This means FTP will change.
Therefore, TSS is going to change by reducing the value of a certain effort (5 minutes at 200W gets easier and easier over your career)

Does this mean that the primary focus of TSS is mainly to ensure you aren't blowing the hell out of yourself every week/month - the intention that you don't exceed your maximum TSS with the assumption that your actual training will get progressively harder and harder? ie Xplora can expect to ride 100kms and require 2 days of recovery before returning to his 2x20 FTP training for the rest of his life, with the caveat that the 100kms will be faster and faster, and the 2x20 interval will be progressively harder?

This is what I don't quite understand about the TSS equation. Joe talks about advanced athletes doing more and more and more, but the TSS seems to imply that it will make your novice workload similar to your advanced workload but your actual performance can be expected to be higher and higher? The actual time spent on the bike doesn't change, but you push a higher gear to hit the same HR/watts?

It was bugging the hell out of me a week ago, and now I've got a neck strain from overdoing it so I've got too much time to think :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: FTP improvement affecting TSS?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Suggest reading this item, and look through the section on Applying the Performance Manager concept:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... nager.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thus, to obtain good results using the Performance Manager approach, it is important that these TSS values be based upon valid, up-to-date estimates of an athlete’s functional threshold power.

Xplora

Re: FTP improvement affecting TSS?

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Very useful article... even better that it gives some useful data to work from (such as increasing TSS by 5-7/day for a month is going to mess you up) as well as it seeming that you've got about 100-125 TSS up your sleeve every day... which makes for a fearsome wall to come up against. Sounds like I definitely went too far over the weekend (84kms on Good Friday with some tough efforts in the last 30 and then 101kms on Tuesday with a number of breakaway efforts from the FPR boys through the night) and this would explain why. If I just rode at 100kmh, then I could maintain those efforts better LOL