Pro Lite Wheels - Feedback Please???

Bandelero

Pro Lite Wheels - Feedback Please???

Postby Bandelero » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Peoples

I'm looking at getting some lighter wheels than the tractor wheels with millions of spokes that came with my Specialized Tarmac Elite.

I came across Pro Lite's and pricing is good. Now I am 93kg and durability is an issue for me so I want somehting that will last. So I have two Pro Lite options Bracciano 1478gms - $480.00 and Stelvio 1640 grams - $420.00. I am worried that I will pop spokes every ride on the lighter set.

Anyone with experiance with Pro Lite?

Cheers

S.

Chaderotti

Re: Pro Lite Wheels - Feedback Please???

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Deon, the main distributor in Aus is a member here, he'll chime in soon.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Bandelero wrote:Hi Peoples

I'm looking at getting some lighter wheels than the tractor wheels with millions of spokes that came with my Specialized Tarmac Elite.

I came across Pro Lite's and pricing is good. Now I am 93kg and durability is an issue for me so I want somehting that will last. So I have two Pro Lite options Bracciano 1478gms - $480.00 and Stelvio 1640 grams - $420.00. I am worried that I will pop spokes every ride on the lighter set.

Anyone with experiance with Pro Lite?

Cheers

S.
Both wheelsets are very durable. For 93kg rider though the Stelvio is going to be a more durable and stiffer wheelset, the spokes are thicker and the rim is deeper than Bracciano which make it both slightly stiffer, stronger and heavier. The hubs are the same and I've seen zero hub warranty failures on this model hub. The Bracciano is OK for "race use" for a heavier guy or a lighter rider could use them all year round without problem.

Please order through our Australian site or through one of our dealers, don't bring them in from Wiggle or c r c as you'll have no warranty or support over here and we'll do our best to price match if necessary. If you PM me where you live I will tell you if we have a dealer nearby.

We can sell you a spares kit with the wheels if you want to have spokes & nipples on hand in the unfortunate event that you break one.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:39 pm

BNA recently did a review on two Pro Lite bikes which will be up soon.

Speaking generally, both wheelsets were good with their own respective pros/cons.

The whole range represents value for money. You should watch their video on the wheelbuilding process.

Although the Bracciano wasn't tested, the Stelvio looks superior. Deeper rims, heavier duty as Deon pointed out and cheaper.

And buy locally, it's worth it.
Please pardon my ignorableness

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:06 am

I have a set of Luciano's (approx $400AUD) and have been very pleased with them, i'm not sure if they make this model anymore, but I've had them 6mths or so, so they're not that old.
I have given them quite a pounding when commuting both on and off road (80kg) and they are still straight as the day I purchased them and I would recommend them.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=29088

As already mentioned look for their wheel building vid on youtube.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

colafreak wrote:BNA recently did a review on two Pro Lite bikes which will be up soon.

Speaking generally, both wheelsets were good with their own respective pros/cons.

The whole range represents value for money. You should watch their video on the wheelbuilding process.

Although the Bracciano wasn't tested, the Stelvio looks superior. Deeper rims, heavier duty as Deon pointed out and cheaper.

And buy locally, it's worth it.
For anyone that is interested the Pro-Lite Bracciano just won "best buy" in Cycling Plus (UK) wheel shoot-out.

You can download the entire article at this address:

http://www.pro-lite.net/images/stories/ ... wheels.pdf
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread but a couple of people have messaged me looking for this review.

Updated link to the Cycling Plus wheel shoot-out:

http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories ... wheels.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 pm

I got some Comos the other day, so far so good they seem to roll really well and I have not seen any detriment to my average speed even though they weigh 2klg, for the price I paid these are unbeatable rims.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

I've got 2 x sets of Comos - one for each bike and have found them to be fantastic, albeit a tad heavy (compared to sub-2kg wheelsets) when climbing. And no, it isn't perceived, I have felt the difference. I am more than happy with them though, as they are straight and true after around 2000Km / 1300Km respectively now and they are still spinning forever and ever, with smooth-silky hubs. I am, however, looking forward to getting my hot little hands on a (lighter) Merano wheelset very soon and I reckon they'll suit me to a tee!

Any ETA yet Deon - or is it a case of 'when the ship docks' - lol.

cheers

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm

I have 2 sets oF Bracciano's 1 al clincher set and 1 50mm carbon tubular set. Both sets are the best bang for buck wheel I could find. The clincher set have copped a pounding. Approx 5000km of training and very armature racing. The tubular are very new but after trying 4 different brands I could not go past the prolites. Both spin true and fast, are light and strong. I will say the visual finish is not amazing, nothing terrible just a bit average, but I hate paying for looks but no performance. Nothing worse than a gold plated turd.

Bill

maicoboy

Postby maicoboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm

I bought a pair of Braccianos last year. I'm 68kg and haven't hit any 'major' potholes on them (don't plan to either) and they still spin perfectly true after about 3000km. These were a noticable improvement in acceleration and stiffness compared to my old Aksiums.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I have a set of Bracciano's that are about 4 months old and have done just over 2000km's.

The other week at the bottom of a VERY steep descent I turned a corner with too much speed and went off the edge of the road coming out of the apex at 50+ km/h, into gravel and rutts and then up and over about a 3 metre section of fist-sized rocks half stuck into the ground.

I was lucky enough to stay upright on the bike and the only damage done was a pinch flat on both the front and rear from the impact on the rocks.
Thankfully no damage whatsoever to the wheels....so I am one happy camper.

For the price I think they're very hard to go past.
I know several people who have these wheels and every one of them love them.

Dave

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:20 pm

so the braccianos would suit a rider of my size and weight ( 190cm, 99kg's ) ?
all i ever hear is how effing good these wheels are, and a new wheelset is in the works.....decisions!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm

zakka101 wrote:so the braccianos would suit a rider of my size and weight ( 190cm, 99kg's ) ?
all i ever hear is how effing good these wheels are, and a new wheelset is in the works.....decisions!

I believe you may be up at the upper end of the Bracciano limit (I'm well over!), so perhaps the Meranos may be more suited for you. I'm sure Deon will have a more precise recommendation.

cheers

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 pm

If you are "easy" on your gear the Bracciano would be fine, if you tend to break wheels then the Merano would be a better choice.

Merano's will be in stock in May. PM me if you'd like to reserve a set or if you have any questions.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

macca33 wrote:I've got 2 x sets of Comos - one for each bike and have found them to be fantastic, albeit a tad heavy (compared to sub-2kg wheelsets) when climbing. And no, it isn't perceived, I have felt the difference. I am more than happy with them though, as they are straight and true after around 2000Km / 1300Km respectively now and they are still spinning forever and ever, with smooth-silky hubs. I am, however, looking forward to getting my hot little hands on a (lighter) Merano wheelset very soon and I reckon they'll suit me to a tee!

Any ETA yet Deon - or is it a case of 'when the ship docks' - lol.

cheers
The ship sails on I think 8th of April. I should have a fresh container of goodies, including Merano's somewhere around 10th of May.

Do you have a back order in with us? If not, if you send me your details I'll actually reserve a set so they will dispatch within 1-2 days of the freight arriving.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

Yes mate, back order already in - delivery to Moorabbin!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Excellent, thank-you.

As soon as the container arrives we'll be un-packing and shipping gear fast as we can.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 pm

What are the Bracciano's like in the way of aero jacks1071? I currently have a set of DT-Swiss R1850 (sub 1850g total) which came with my Focus Cayo 2 I bought a year ago, and while they have been a smooth, reliable and solid performer and reasonably aero, I am looking for something lighter for the hill climbs but also a bit more aerodynamic as I like to TT some segments in my area. The DT's are just too heavy for my liking on climbs and while they will continue to be a great training wheel set, I'd like to be able to feel like I am moving on climbs rather than grinding the pedals to get the bike to move. On the flats they perform well.

Can you assist?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 am

rpmspinman wrote:What are the Bracciano's like in the way of aero jacks1071? I currently have a set of DT-Swiss R1850 (sub 1850g total) which came with my Focus Cayo 2 I bought a year ago, and while they have been a smooth, reliable and solid performer and reasonably aero, I am looking for something lighter for the hill climbs but also a bit more aerodynamic as I like to TT some segments in my area. The DT's are just too heavy for my liking on climbs and while they will continue to be a great training wheel set, I'd like to be able to feel like I am moving on climbs rather than grinding the pedals to get the bike to move. On the flats they perform well.

Can you assist?
Take a look at this link, click on RIM and you can view the rim profile:

http://www.pro-lite.info/road-wheels/bracciano-a27#page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bracciano's do everything really well which I think is part of the reason why they are so popular.

A set of 50mm full carbon clinchers would be more aero but also many times more expensive and not nearly as good as a daily use wheel.

The Gavia Volante I'm out of stock on but will have them in May. They are a fantastic wheel to climb on, the aero isn't anything special though being a shallow box section rim. Check them out here:

http://www.pro-lite.info/road-wheels/gavia-volante#page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bracciano is a better all-rounder. If you can get two sets the Gavia Volante's are your climbing wheels.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 am

jacks1071 wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:What are the Bracciano's like in the way of aero jacks1071? I currently have a set of DT-Swiss R1850 (sub 1850g total) which came with my Focus Cayo 2 I bought a year ago, and while they have been a smooth, reliable and solid performer and reasonably aero, I am looking for something lighter for the hill climbs but also a bit more aerodynamic as I like to TT some segments in my area. The DT's are just too heavy for my liking on climbs and while they will continue to be a great training wheel set, I'd like to be able to feel like I am moving on climbs rather than grinding the pedals to get the bike to move. On the flats they perform well.

Can you assist?
Take a look at this link, click on RIM and you can view the rim profile:

http://www.pro-lite.info/road-wheels/bracciano-a27#page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bracciano's do everything really well which I think is part of the reason why they are so popular.

A set of 50mm full carbon clinchers would be more aero but also many times more expensive and not nearly as good as a daily use wheel.

The Gavia Volante I'm out of stock on but will have them in May. They are a fantastic wheel to climb on, the aero isn't anything special though being a shallow box section rim. Check them out here:

http://www.pro-lite.info/road-wheels/gavia-volante#page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bracciano is a better all-rounder. If you can get two sets the Gavia Volante's are your climbing wheels.
Thanks for your reply. Thats pretty impressive. A 27mm profile while still able to maintain a 1400g weight sans skewer is amazing. Im not sure what profile my current rims are but they look similar in size. So the aero factor should be about the same as I currently have, but will be 432g lighter. That's gotta make some difference to my speed surely.

The Gavia Volante's looks impressive also. What makes them better at climbing over the Bracciano's?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

rpmspinman wrote: Thanks for your reply. Thats pretty impressive. A 27mm profile while still able to maintain a 1400g weight sans skewer is amazing. Im not sure what profile my current rims are but they look similar in size. So the aero factor should be about the same as I currently have, but will be 432g lighter. That's gotta make some difference to my speed surely.

The Gavia Volante's looks impressive also. What makes them better at climbing over the Bracciano's?
I'm not too familar with what you have currently, you said R1850 but all I could find was RR1850 which I think is a different wheelset? The RR1850 looks similar to maybe the Pro-Lite Merano profile but they didn't give a depth or profile details on their website that I cound find.

Two things make the Gavia Volante especially nice for climbing. 1. The rim is as light as air, most of the weight is in the hubs meaning they spin up very quick. 2. They transfer power really nice due to the hub/spoke design.

Take a look here to understand, the effects are felt most when you are at high levels of load. Ie. Climbing at high power, sprinting and out of the saddle climbing. The easiest way to understand is to try them :-)

http://2011.pro-lite.net/pdfs/bolzanoinfo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks heaps for this info Jack. Helps a lot for me to learn this stuff. Appreciate it. I too dont know the profile of my current rims. I'll have to check it out when I get home. But I reckon they will be similar. I'd say they are awfully similar to the RR1850 as per the wheel shootout link you won in 2011. Im assuming 24mm without checking? Would an extra 3mm on the A27s make a difference in terms of aero over the 24mm DT Swiss? i.e. would you notice it or see it make a difference in over all average speed?

I think when the time comes, I will be looking at the Bracciano's as they are as you say, the better all rounder. Should I come across more funds, I may look at the Bracciano A42s for times I want to PR on flatter segments.
Last edited by rpmspinman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Would you use the Gavia Volante's as an every day wheel?
weight limit?

and why does it say
Freehub Shimano 10sp compatible (Sram riders, please use Shimano cassette)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Thanks heaps for this info Jack. Helps a lot for me to learn this stuff. Appreciate it. I too dont know the profile of my current rims. I'll have to check it out when I get home. But I reckon they will be similar. I'd say they are awfully similar to the RR1850 as per the wheel shootout link you won in 2011. Im assuming 24mm without checking? Would an extra 3mm on the A27s make a difference in terms of aero over the 24mm DT Swiss? i.e. would you notice it or see it make a difference in over all average speed?

I think when the time comes, I will be looking at the Bracciano's as they are as you say, the better all rounder. Should I come across more funds, I may look at the Bracciano A42s for times I want to PR on flatter segments.
3mm doesn't seem like much but it changes the profile completely.

A42's are a 2014 product - we'll hopefully get a shipment late this year though.