Flat bar -> Bullhorn... how about brakes?

gabelearnstoride

Flat bar -> Bullhorn... how about brakes?

Postby gabelearnstoride » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am

Hey guys,

I just entered the bicycle scene as I bought myself a FUJI DECLARATION 2012 (link as shown)Image
http://www.urbanvelocity.com.au/brands/ ... ike-1.html

I planned to change to a bullhorn handlebar, so bought myself this:Image http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/b ... shape.html

However I am stuck with the brake levers. I read that u can use the normal brake lever like this: Image

But im looking more of a decent one. Not sure whether am i supposed to get a TT brake lever or a Reverse Brake lever.

and i read that i need to change the length of the cables etc.

Any help for a newbie??

CHEERS! :mrgreen:

eeksll

Re: Flat bar -> Bullhorn... how about brakes?

Postby eeksll » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm

something like this will work. The cable runs externally. Like this pic you can just see where the cable comes out of the lever and under the bar tape.

Not sure what the difference between that and tt brake levers are. Maybe the tt lever have internal cable routing. I don't know if those bars you have are internal cable capable.

The other option is similar to the pic you posted except turn it the other way around and have the cable sticking out the top, similar to this

One last thing to consider is those bullhorn bars will push your hand position out 100mm, so if it currently fits, it might not after. Maybe new stem will be needed too.

EDIT: curious to know if your hands will stay on the bars on a quick stop with bullhorn bars.

ray

Postby ray » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm

eeksll wrote:something like this will work. The cable runs externally. Like this pic you can just see where the cable comes out of the lever and under the bar tape.

Not sure what the difference between that and tt brake levers are. Maybe the tt lever have internal cable routing. I don't know if those bars you have are internal cable capable.

The other option is similar to the pic you posted except turn it the other way around and have the cable sticking out the top, similar to this

One last thing to consider is those bullhorn bars will push your hand position out 100mm, so if it currently fits, it might not after. Maybe new stem will be needed too.

EDIT: curious to know if your hands will stay on the bars on a quick stop with bullhorn bars.
This is what I did. As per the Cane Creek 200TT levers in my 2nd picture and external cable routing viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1707&start=1400#p860656.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:18 pm

ray wrote:This is what I did. As per the Cane Creek 200TT levers in my 2nd picture and external cable routing viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1707&start=1400#p860656.
So whats the go on braking hard, are there shaky moments with the hands wanting to come off the handlebars?

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 am

eeksll wrote:something like this will work. The cable runs externally. Like this pic you can just see where the cable comes out of the lever and under the bar tape.

Hey thanks for your reply!! i guess i have to see what is my desired position first. I will probably try to use my current brake levers and find out my sweet spot on the bullhorn. If it is nearer to the ends i will get the reverse brake lever!

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 am

This is what I did. As per the Cane Creek 200TT levers in my 2nd picture and external cable routing viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1707&start=1400#p860656
Thanks! i will look into the TT brake levers too. i guess TT brake levers and reverse brake levers and even my current brake levers are possible. i think i just have to worry about the diameter of the bullhorn and the inner bar end diameter and also the tip of the brake wires too!

Great bike btw! Loving the wheels! will probably get that too to lighten my bike!

ray

Postby ray » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm

eeksll wrote:
ray wrote:This is what I did. As per the Cane Creek 200TT levers in my 2nd picture and external cable routing viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1707&start=1400#p860656.
So whats the go on braking hard, are there shaky moments with the hands wanting to come off the handlebars?
No I don't find it shaky or scary as I have my thumbs around the curved bit - a bit like how you grip the hoods. In-fact I found it more scary braking from the tops as I felt more unstable and way too upright though I hadn't cut the steerer at the time. Even now with the steerer cut and no spacers I would still be more confident braking on the bar ends/tt levers.

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey guys i received my bullhorn and this is what i did.

I reused my brake levers and place it through the bullhorn. It took quite a while to fit it as its quite a tight fit. Had to use hammers and stuff to get it in. I went for a short ride and it feels really decent. But i think i might get the TT brake levers or the reverse brake levers and put the griptape over.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm

is it me or is your velogear bullhorn looks really wide....440mm???

anyway....I have similar set up like this...I found that when I need the brakes I am on the hood...when I am on the horn, I am usually sprinting or hill climb which don't need to touch the brakes...

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm

slidetaker wrote:is it me or is your velogear bullhorn looks really wide....440mm???

anyway....I have similar set up like this...I found that when I need the brakes I am on the hood...when I am on the horn, I am usually sprinting or hill climb which don't need to touch the brakes...

its 420mm. fits me perfectly. i wont be able to put the brakes at the hood as it has a flat profile.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 pm

gabelearnstoride wrote:I reused my brake levers and place it through the bullhorn. It took quite a while to fit it as its quite a tight fit. Had to use hammers and stuff to get it in.
Not surprising - the originals bars are MTB bars, and are a smaller diameter than the bullhorns which are road bars.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm

RonK wrote:
gabelearnstoride wrote:I reused my brake levers and place it through the bullhorn. It took quite a while to fit it as its quite a tight fit. Had to use hammers and stuff to get it in.
Not surprising - the originals bars are MTB bars, and are a smaller diameter than the bullhorns which are road bars.

yup. currently im planning to change to either the Tektro RX 5 or the Cane Creek 200TT. However i need to change the brake cables too and im trying to find any websites selling them both cheaply.. any links?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Try JensonUSA.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/brakes/brake_levers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/cables/brake_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/gri ... e/bar_tape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;