Sock height ???

il padrone

Sock height ???

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:15 am

One for the poseurs :roll: . The helmet position I'd agree with, it's a safety issue, and no mismatched kit is fair enough (I'd say minimal advertising, brands and logos too - pick up your game there girls), but sock height, colour (black is far more sensible really) and glasses outside straps...... now what a load of w*#ker tripe!!

BTW, I wear my glasses inside the helmet straps because I like to take my helmet off and still see clearly...... so you can just p'sorf!

The Walrus

Re: Sock height ???

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 am

Obviously that's a slightly tongue in cheek delivery, but its all stupid (maybe helmet but that's pretty obvious). And it's that kind of attitude that gives golf it's bad reputation!

I wear what colour socks I like and if they don't like it they can shove it! That's for cycling and golf!

Mod says: language removed

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 am

come on, it's tongue-in-cheek. but there's nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in your appearance, should you choose to.

the sunnies tip is good - putting them inside your helmet straps causes them to dig in every time the helmet moves - outside is better.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:34 am

Pride in appearance is all fine. 'Nose-in-the-air' nitpicking is entirely a different thing.

Sock height? :roll:

I realise it is TIC, yes, but there is more than a grain of truth in the attitudes behind it.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 am

il padrone wrote:BTW, I wear my glasses inside the helmet straps because I like to take my helmet off and still see clearly...... so you can just p'sorf!
Never understood this myself. I do as you do, if I don't I forget and take my helmet off and send my glasses flying

alex

Postby alex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 am

il padrone wrote:Pride in appearance is all fine. 'Nose-in-the-air' nitpicking is entirely a different thing.

Sock height? :roll:

I realise it is TIC, yes, but there is more than a grain of truth in the attitudes behind it.
nobody is required to do any of this stuff, you live in a (fairly) free and democratic country where you can do things like wear socks with sandals if you want

but remember the old saying 'perception is reality'

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:21 am

alex wrote:nobody is required to do any of this stuff, you live in a (fairly) free and democratic country where you can do things like wear socks with sandals if you want
As I do mate...... as I do.

But that's not the issue I'm pointing to. Poseur attitude, nose-in-the-air "I'm better than you" approach is what I do not appreciate, and certainly not an encouragement to people starting off in cycling. Ride down Beach Rd on a touring bike, a recumbent or god help us, a roadster in casual clothes, and you'll soon see it 'red in tooth and claw'.

I put it all down to the competitive focus of road cycling, so if you can't out-perfom that dude you can always tear him down for mismatched kit or too-long socks :P

Some of the fastest, fittest touring riders and climbers that I know have never worn roadie kit in their lives.
Last edited by il padrone on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex

Postby alex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 am

don't ride down beach road then (horrible place to ride a bike anyway)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 am

I don't often do that either.

Mind you Beach Rd is a rather nice ride a lot of the time - especially heading north. I've done it at 4am and it was really nice with the stars above the Bay, done it at sunset on a lovely evening.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 am

il padrone wrote:One for the poseurs :roll: . The helmet position I'd agree with, it's a safety issue, and no mismatched kit is fair enough (I'd say minimal advertising, brands and logos too - pick up your game there girls), but sock height, colour (black is far more sensible really) and glasses outside straps...... now what a load of w*#ker tripe!!

BTW, I wear my glasses inside the helmet straps because I like to take my helmet off and still see clearly...... so you can just p'sorf!
You need to get back on your bike Professore Grumpy. It's been too long - and your humour detector has stopped working. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 am

Matching kit :shock: WT? I buy whatever is cheap :)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 am

il padrone wrote:One for the poseurs :roll: . The helmet position I'd agree with, it's a safety issue, and no mismatched kit is fair enough (I'd say minimal advertising, brands and logos too - pick up your game there girls), but sock height, colour (black is far more sensible really) and glasses outside straps...... now what a load of w*#ker tripe!!

BTW regardless of the sensibility of black socks it wasn't all that long ago (80's) that all (amateur) racing cyclists were required to wear white socks (and black knicks). Really short socks became popular for a while as people tried to look like the pros, who frequently didn't wear socks. Some pros claimed that it was for better power transfer to the pedals (!) and it didn't hurt that it was also a means of differentiating themselves from amateurs. I even know one amateur rider who cut the feet off a pair of socks and sewed the tops to his shoes, although he was a teenager at the time and his shoes were also too small.

Lots of variation on the theme in theCool Track Photo thread.

I ride in short white socks for no better reason than I haven't worn them out yet.

Cheers,

Cameron

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am

I really hope you guys are joking and have as much fun watching it as much as they did making it. Its a piss take at themselves :mrgreen:

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 am

I wasn't really listening to what was said, more looking at the pretty pictures. I do agree with the general consensus about glasses though. I've accidentally repositioned them outside the helmet strap after wiping the sweat out of my eyes and sent them flying the next time I've taken the helmet off. I usually carry a spare pair in my jersey pocket though so it doesn't worry me terribly if they get damaged or lost.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 am

Socks need to be long enough to tuck your trouser hems into.

That's the only thing that matters.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 pm

socks need to be long enough to show your sponsor?

I don't own any long socks, but i wonder if long socks will stop crap getting into my sock when mtb'ing.

long socks are just wrong :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I wear footy socks. Keeps my thighs nice and warm too.

Purt

Postby Purt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Not sure if thread is srs or not.

Sock height and colour is important. srs.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm

il padrone wrote:Mind you Beach Rd is a rather nice ride a lot of the time - especially heading north. I've done it at 4am and it was really nice with the stars above the Bay, done it at sunset on a lovely evening.
So there you go, no need to be bitter. If you spend most of your time riding by yourself; well, no need to conform then... Do you still have that Ken Donne jersey?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm

ft_critical wrote:
il padrone wrote:Mind you Beach Rd is a rather nice ride a lot of the time - especially heading north. I've done it at 4am and it was really nice with the stars above the Bay, done it at sunset on a lovely evening.
So there you go, no need to be bitter. If you spend most of your time riding by yourself; well, no need to conform then...
:?: :?:

I spend most of my time (except for the commute) riding with fellow cyclists, happily most are people who are pretty down to earth and not pre-occupied with image. Just because a couple of times I've ridden Beach Rd through the night (Audax Rides, with 100 or so other riders) does not make me some rabid loner.

ft_critical wrote:Do you still have that Ken Donne jersey?
Wha??? Way too deep and meaningful for me :?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Seems that someone is pre-occupied with his image of not being pre-occupied with his image, :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Now you got the idea sumgy :P . One thing you will not catch me wearing is any trade team jerseys - I think I do possess one, the jersey Supersprint made us all buy in order to be able to ride their Great Otway and Ocean Road Classic - a rip-off ride all round. I hardly ever wear it and mostly beneath another top in winter if I do.

I like plain colours, quality clothing, and often casual or street dress depending on circumstances.

Oh yes there is also my one trade team retro jersey :wink:

More typical attire (ice creams at Monegeeta)

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Yep, well I am pre-occupied with not dressing like that while on my bike.
I also wont wear any team kit for teams that I am not on though.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Actually, glasses outside the straps does have a safety benefit. When you crash, your glasses will fly off if they are over the straps, but may stay on if they're captured under the strap. A month or so back a young guy nearly lost his eye in a fall during a track event due to broken glasses being held onto his face by the straps.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Nice try BFV, what is the safety benefit to the correct length white socks ? :D