Mittagong to Dungog tour - mostly on dirt

ozipom

Mittagong to Dungog tour - mostly on dirt

Postby ozipom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I have just spent almost two weeks enjoying some excellent riding on mostly dirt roads around the Blue Mtns and Barrington Tops. The tour began in Mittagong and took me through to Wombeyan Caves. I followed dirt roads and fire trails through to Kangara Walls and onto Jenolan Caves. After exploring the caves I headed up to Newnes via the Glow Worm Tunnel. This included a bit of pushing the bike through the bush. Really enjoyed the history and scenery of Newnes, so much so I ended up spending a couple of nights there before following the BNT through the Baal Bone Gap to Glen Davis. Another old town seeped in history. Before heading across to the Barrington Tops where I had yet more climbing and as usual more spectacular scenery before finishing in Dungog yesterday. For more information on my short trip take a look at the blog I kept whilst touring. Mittagong to Dungog tour.

Now relaxing back at home :)

rifraf

Re: Mittagong to Dungog tour - mostly on dirt

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 am

Sounds a blast. I look forward to following your link in the morning for an in depth look
at your fortnight. WarrenH's tales and pics of the BNT have intrigued me for a while.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:24 am

Wow, that looks like a great trip. Some very beautiful country out there. Well done on the ride and the blog.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

I enjoyed reading that, looks like a great trip. I'm curious about the pump powered espresso gadget. What exactly is it?

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm

grantw wrote:I'm curious about the pump powered espresso gadget. What exactly is it?
The airspresso works like an espresso machine. Except that air pressure is used rather than steam or pumped water. To get the hot water through the coffee you use a bike pump. After a few practice runs at home trying to get the balance between coffee and water I was happy to take it on tour. Found that during the tour I was really enjoying my coffee fix, as before it was the dreaded instant stuff. So much more enjoyable having "real" coffee to start the day. And the weight of the device is only about 200g, so not much of a penalty for the fix it provided :D .
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Most impressive, think I'll be adding one to my kit. Now for a lightweight grinder :-)

Tourer

Postby Tourer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi Brian,
Was surprised to see we almost crossed paths on the Bylong Valley Way, whilst my wife & I were attempting to ride from Muswellbrook to Lithgow Via the BNT. We managed to get through the Widden Valley & over Nullo Mountain to Dunns Swamps. A snapped deraileur in the Widden Valley meant we had to put off the rest of the trip for a while.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 12139&v=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Regards
Peter & Vicki Webber

PS Like the surname

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 am

grantw wrote:Most impressive, think I'll be adding one to my kit. Now for a lightweight grinder :-)
$182! That is one hell of an expensive cuppa. I guess if you can get 61 cups of coffee out of it (I only pay $3.00 for my cuppa :) it might be worth the investment :wink:

Based on my average two weeks touring that would take me around four years ... think I might stick to

:)

Andrew

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:14 am

Aushiker wrote:
grantw wrote:Most impressive, think I'll be adding one to my kit. Now for a lightweight grinder :-)
$182! That is one hell of an expensive cuppa. I guess if you can get 61 cups of coffee out of it (I only pay $3.00 for my cuppa :) it might be worth the investment :wink:
Andrew
Hi Andrew

Thats what I thought as well before I bought it, but I found they had just the machine without all the extra bits for $140. Plus I'm actually using it a lot at home and work now, so the amount I save on buying a coffee from the cafe and the ease of use has made getting the airspresso worth while. :)

Brian
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:07 am

Good coffee is priceless!

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am

Tourer wrote:Was surprised to see we almost crossed paths on the Bylong Valley Way, whilst my wife & I were attempting to ride from Muswellbrook to Lithgow Via the BNT. We managed to get through the Widden Valley & over Nullo Mountain to Dunns Swamps. A snapped deraileur in the Widden Valley meant we had to put off the rest of the trip for a while.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 12139&v=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Peter & Vicki

I noticed your journal last week on CGOAB and also noticed the dates you were travelling were similar to mine. If I didn't need to divert to Rylstone to restock on provisions our paths would most likely had crossed. Hope you got the bike fixed okay, any idea when you might get back out there to complete your journey to Lithgow?
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm

grantw wrote:Good coffee is priceless!
100% agree. I use an Aeropress http://www.aeropress.com.au when camping, etc. It cost about $80 iirc.

Awesome looking trip. Looking forward to spending more time reading your blog.

Cheers
Dave

Tourer

Postby Tourer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Brian
The bike has been fixed,but now we have to wait for another time window to finiish the route we planned. After going through all your pic's Im keen to get going again.
Regards Peter