Cyclist hit by Truck North Fremantle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Cyclist hit by Truck North Fremantle

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Roinik wrote:Both of you can get back in your box. Obviously I don't wish this on anyone, driver or rider, however the law is the law. In this case the truck is deemed to be at fault and the driver is likely to lose his licence. Unfortunately for him it will probably lead to him losing his livelihood given that the charge is likely to be culpable driving, attack with a deadly weapon or even attempted murder (depending on the prosecutor's determination to see a conviction or this is a repeat offence). Maybe next time he and others will think twice about saving a minute or so off their travel time by pushing past a cyclist (if this was the case - as is often in truck-bicycle incidents). I deal with trucks and truck drivers all the time (I also hold a heavy truck licence) so I'm well aware of the driver attitudes and the perceived time pressures. Nonetheless, all vehicles are required to give sufficient space to other road users so that they do not place the other road users into danger (bicycles included!). Yes, I am taking the liberty of assuming that Craig was in the right and riding appropriately to the conditions as most cyclists do. I think that there are sufficient comments to highlight that this road is dangerous and requires an appropriate alternative route to be implemented (once again, based on comments here). So, before you have a go at me you self righteous pair, give a little thought to the people involved here. My comments are applicable anywhere, in any city, in all states. My main wishes are to the injured party to have a speedy recovery.
Should I also get in my box? From your explanation above my immediate question as to whether you had any info is answered. In case it has escaped your attention, and regardless of any deeming by the law, sometimes it is not the fault of the driver.

You got two things right - you are assuming and you are taking liberties. Getting uppity on the response you got was NOT right, Eldavo's was fair comment. You also seem to assumed that MartyMoose was also criticising you. Big on assumptions.

I had a mate who ran out behind a bus once onto a main road - got a broken leg for his troubles. He and everyone else knew there was nothing the driver could have done other than to drive at 8kph the whoel way on an arterial road at peak hour. No charges shoudl have been made and none were..

Until there is something otherwise known, then my thoughts are with both the rider and the driver.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Roinik wrote:... I think that there are sufficient comments to highlight that this road is dangerous and requires an appropriate alternative route to be implemented (once again, based on comments here)....
As MartyMoose stated, you obviously have no idea of the situation. :roll:

It turns out to have happened at the main gate into our busy main ports container terminal and almost certainly the only entry/exit capable of servicing the considerable freight that moves there. Of all the users of the road there, the trucks would be the ones with the least alternatives. (And for other users not very good alternatives.)

A crappy situation that also exists elsewhere after some smart politician decided to can the Roe Highway stage 8 and route trucks through suburbia instead.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Does anyone knw anything about the extent of injuries? I have done a bit of trawling and other than attendence by emergency services and having been taken to hospital for treatment, there is scant advice. Troy gave us some initial indicators. Anything further know Troy?

Is the rider known to us on this forum?

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Does anyone knw anything about the extent of injuries? I have done a bit of trawling and other than attendence by emergency services and having been taken to hospital for treatment, there is scant advice. Troy gave us some initial indicators. Anything further know Troy?

This was posted on the SPR site: "reports are that he has a broken leg (protruding) and other as yet undefined injuries to his hip."
http://www.southperthrouleurs.com.au/in ... s-morning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Pravda wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Does anyone knw anything about the extent of injuries? I have done a bit of trawling and other than attendence by emergency services and having been taken to hospital for treatment, there is scant advice. Troy gave us some initial indicators. Anything further know Troy?

This was posted on the SPR site: "reports are that he has a broken leg (protruding) and other as yet undefined injuries to his hip."
http://www.southperthrouleurs.com.au/in ... s-morning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ta. I had a quick look in the hope that some later comments came to it but not at this stage. No comments to it since either. Hips can be the sort of thing that leave a bad lagacy.

CraigGi

Postby CraigGi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi All - first time poster. A friend of mine pointed me to the thread. Im the owner of that felt b12 and was the cyclist involved, i have been doing triathlon for about four years now and was training for my first half ironman in busso in may. I suffered a compound fracture of Tib & fib plus a fair bit of muscle damage.

I've had three surgeries thus far, on the day of the accident was just a clean up and removal of dead flesh and foreign debris. The second was on the Sunday and involved further debridement, removal of a 3cm piece of bone a clean up of the remaining bone and stabilising of the leg with an external fixing. The third was 11hr surgery on Tuesday my 32nd birthday - involved insertion of a nail down the fib or tib or maybe both plus a muscle graft from my abductor and skin graft from my thigh. According to the docs the most critical thing is getting coverage to the area to prevent infection etc, so the graft components of the surgery are far more important than the ortho components.

I'm now on day four of my recovery in a heated room and the grafts seem to be taking well. There was a risk of losing my foot if the grafts were unsuccessful but this seems unlikely at this stage - but I'm not outta the woods yet.
The medical staff here at Fremantle hospital have been first class and the support I've had from my gorgeous wife,family and friends has been really overwhelming.

It looks like they're going to wait for the leg to heal before adding the 3cm down the track no-one has really provided time frames but I figure standard compound fracture is about 12 months for full recovery, extension can't be any longer than 3-4 months and presumably some of that is in parallel. At this stage I'm just hoping for a complete recovery that is not too burdensome on my loved ones.

I'm not going to comment on the accident itself as I haven't yet spoken to the police.

I appreciate the concern shown by complete strangers who share a passion for cycling and whilst I'm incredibly frustrated by the road to recovery I'm thanking my lucky stars that it was only one leg that went under the truck, and fairly low at that. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to still be here.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 am

That's some first post Craig! All the best for your road to recovery, sounds like you have great support :D

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi CraigGi,
We don't all comment on every accident posted but we all sympathise with any one involved in these horrific crashes. Thanks for responding and welcome to the forum.Wishing you well in the get well dept and hope the trauma is easy to handle as well. It's hard to recover when you get older and to a younger person , very frustrating. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Get well Craig and heal up better than ever.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Cheers for posting Craig sounds like all is going pretty well for you considering what happened.I shattered my left Tib and broke my left Fib in 2009 had a nail and screws inserted. It took 12 months to heal but is fine now. Keep us updated.

Marty

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Craig and thanks for the update, hope all goes well over the next few months and you recover quickly.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Best wishes Craig. That is one hell of a mangled bike there, i'm glad your still with us mate!

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey Craig, hope you heal up in good time we appreciate you giving us an update :)
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry

Huff&Puff

Postby Huff&Puff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

All the best for a fast recovery Craig, makes me realize how lucky I was.
More people cycling.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:17 pm

CraigGi wrote:Hi All - first time poster.
Nice that you are still with us. I doubt you will be buffing some of those scratches out of the frame though.

And go check out Alex Simmons's (cycling coach) website some time. Just something for your spare time.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 am

Hey Craig - I drove along Tydeman yesterday and got to thinking. If you are still on this site, how is it going?

CraigGi

Postby CraigGi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 am

Hi Colin - I'm going ok, i have my moments. It's been just over six weeks since my accident - the muscle flap and skin grafts have come along quite well and I'm starting to accept that my leg will never look quite right. I had my first orthopaedic outpatient visit on Friday and unfortunately the bone hasn't healed much at all. I was told to expect 6-9 months for the bone to heal given the open high energy fracture and that nonunion was a real risk 10-15%. I'm not weightbearing yet so getting around the house can tedious to say the least, I'm still off work for at least another 4 weeks.

I'm doing the stretches and exercises the physio has showed me but at this stage I'd say I have about 5% function of my ankle - I'm hopeful this will improve once I can weightbear.

In hospital I was amazed by the number of stories I heard of cyclists vs cars/trucks. In light of this neither I or my father (also a keen cyclist) have vowed to never ride on the road again.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 am

CraigGi wrote: In hospital I was amazed by the number of stories I heard of cyclists vs cars/trucks. In light of this neither I or my father (also a keen cyclist) have vowed to never ride on the road again.
?

Sent from my iThingy...

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 am

CraigGi wrote:Hi Colin - I'm going ok, i have my moments. It's been just over six weeks since my accident - the muscle flap and skin grafts have come along quite well and I'm starting to accept that my leg will never look quite right. I had my first orthopaedic outpatient visit on Friday and unfortunately the bone hasn't healed much at all. I was told to expect 6-9 months for the bone to heal given the open high energy fracture and that nonunion was a real risk 10-15%. I'm not weightbearing yet so getting around the house can tedious to say the least, I'm still off work for at least another 4 weeks.

I'm doing the stretches and exercises the physio has showed me but at this stage I'd say I have about 5% function of my ankle - I'm hopeful this will improve once I can weightbear.

In hospital I was amazed by the number of stories I heard of cyclists vs cars/trucks. In light of this neither I or my father (also a keen cyclist) have vowed to never ride on the road again.
Glad to hear you're on the mend, physically, albeit slowly. Sadly the mental scars may take a little longer. In time I hope they mend too, so that you can enjoy our preferred pasttime to its fullest. Keep working on both.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am

CraigGi wrote:I had my first orthopaedic outpatient visit on Friday and unfortunately the bone hasn't healed much at all. I was told to expect 6-9 months for the bone to heal given the open high energy fracture and that nonunion was a real risk 10-15%.
I assume then that they have moved some bone from elsewhere and inserted it into the missing 3". Or a steel section?

An accident like that is shocking and leaves a lot to be played out in the mind as well as the surgery. But despite what hospital types say, they can be understandably hyper-sensitized to what they see that may not give a fair view of the world.

I am not decrying the real risks that are out there. But it would be adding tragedy to tragedy to give up something that you presumably like. Hopefully you will either get back to doing it all again or find an alternative.

An ankle - indeed the whole foot - is a complex bit of mechanics that makes it all the more difficult to get right. Good l luck with that.

My wife seriously buggered her ankle at 17yo and my own feet were catastrophically damaged at 28. I can suggest an alternative to walking if it comes down to that. Hint - It starts with "uni". :mrgreen:

88mph

Postby 88mph » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm

How has this story not been covered by the Herald?

Thought Brad and Co would be all over this one.

CraigGi

Postby CraigGi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:41 am

Colin, they have shortened my leg by 3cm and I have an IM nail holding it all together. There is still a considerable crescent shaped bone deficit due to the shape of the fracture. I'll hoping to go through limb lengthening with an ilizarov frame once it's all healed up, fingers crossed that's before summer.

Twizzle - yep sent from the ipad. Just to clarify my earlier post - I won't ever ride on the road. Will stick to the cycle ways. I can't wait to get back on a bike, even a stationary bike at the gym to get into the rehab.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 am

I'm very glad to hear you are going to get back into it. Best wishes for your recovery.

Sent from my iThingy...

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Craig thanks for the update glad to hear your graft has taken. My wife is a nurse who works for a surgeon one day a week who does dermatology and plastics, I hear all the horror stories :). Don't be down about the callous on the bone it will take 12 months not like a normal 8 week healing time. Mine was not as bad as yours but the surgeon was worried about it, the healing process did take close to 12 months and from memory 16 Weeks before any callous formed. Then I broke it again long story;) Keep us updated, Have you been able to work yet and your ankle do you have foot drop?

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by Marty Moose on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

CraigGi wrote:Colin, they have shortened my leg by 3cm and I have an IM nail holding it all together. There is still a considerable crescent shaped bone deficit due to the shape of the fracture. I'll hoping to go through limb lengthening with an ilizarov frame once it's all healed up, fingers crossed that's before summer.
As we often say here though, if there ain't no pictures then it didn't happen. :wink:

I had a unicycling mate who was biooked to do wo gig with me yesterday. He contacted me on Saturday evening to bow out as his younger brother, riding a motobike, got hit by a car earlier. Two brakes in a leg, a broken shoulder, broken hip, dislocated hip and dislocated shoulder. He is looking to a long period of live-in rehab. But I'd still say that that missing three inches of actual bone length is gonna make yours a much tougher recovery. It serves as a reminder to ALL road users, and expecially to anyone not in a car or better, that the road is a scary place. Take care out there everyone.

I had some substantial and life-term injuries in a serious crash many decades ago - not a touch on yours though. I can appreciate the dificulty and frustrations. And that physio, oh the pain the pain. But overall it has not stopped me from doing the sorts of things that I want.

As little as we can glean from this forum, I am guessing you are not going to be giving up. We all need inspiration - and that is one of those things that we get not from ourselves from others. Hang in there and give us a hero. And maybe even give us back a rider in due course.