Di2 firmware upgrade

grimbo

Di2 firmware upgrade

Postby grimbo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 pm

I am taking my bike in next week for a Di2 firmware upgrade. This allows multiple rear gear changes by keeping the lever (ok, it's a button) pressed.

With this upgrade, they can program it to move in 5 speeds: very slow, slow, normal, fast and very fast. The guy in the shop reckons, why wouldn't you just choose the very fast option. Usually if you want to dump (or add) a bunch of gears, you want to do it as quickly as possible.

You can also program in the maximum number of cogs to move on a single long key press, from just 1, to the max. Again, I can't think why I wouldn't just chose the max setting.

Has anyone else had experience with these settings, and any recommendations as to their pros and cons?

kunalraiker

Re: Di2 firmware upgrade

Postby kunalraiker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 pm

I'am keen to know too, as I soon will be having an Ultegra Di2 groupset.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Maybe the options are there to conserve the servo in the mech and prolong battery life?

alex

Postby alex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:05 am

how much are they charging to do it?

if you want to experiment with the shift speed and how many shifts you can make with one press of the button you might be better buying the interface box yourself so you can make changes whenever you want ... and for future firmware updates

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... 2-ec047044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hooman

Postby hooman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:01 pm

alex wrote:how much are they charging to do it?

if you want to experiment with the shift speed and how many shifts you can make with one press of the button you might be better buying the interface box yourself so you can make changes whenever you want ... and for future firmware updates

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... 2-ec047044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an Ultegra interface, is there a DA interface or are they compatible?

alex

Postby alex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 pm

that is for 'small cable' di2, ie ultegra and 9000 series dura ace

not sure what the part number is for the early 'large cable' di2

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 pm

alex wrote:how much are they charging to do it?

I'm not much of a fiddler, so I just can't see me getting much use out of having the interface box. Also, bike related purchases are a bit of a sore point in the Grimbo household, but servicing is tolerated ("it's for safety").
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

I got this upgrade in January and the setting I chose was to click right through - the longer I hold it down, the more gears it changes.
Conceivably from the top to the bottom in one go. It goes in single gears though. I think you can get it to do 2 at a time but not much value in that IMO.

I like it - mostly changing up to a bigger gear when I crest a hill and want to slam down the other side.

Didn't cost much, just got it done when I had it serviced before a big ride.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I have U-Di2 and don't really see the need for it. I like to keep a mental track of which cog i'm in, so changing one at a time helps with that. grabbing a fistful of cog changes (you can do it with existing cable-actuated systems) typically just leaves me wondering which gear i'm in.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm

grimbo wrote:You can also program in the maximum number of cogs to move on a single long key press, from just 1, to the max. Again, I can't think why I wouldn't just chose the max setting.
I'm curious to know why you would want to put it to the max setting??

For such a dramatic change in grade you'd be changing between your big/small chainring first wouldn't you? and there will always be a transition in the grade where your speed changes over time. Usually two gears at a time at the most - to maintain a consistent cadence I would have thought?

Wanting to change 10 gears in one go makes me think you're
1) riding exclusively in your small chainring,
2) crossing the chain
3) making guesswork of the ideal gear you should be in when you get a change in grade?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

vbplease wrote:
grimbo wrote:You can also program in the maximum number of cogs to move on a single long key press, from just 1, to the max. Again, I can't think why I wouldn't just chose the max setting.

For such a dramatic change in grade you'd be changing between your big/small chainring first wouldn't you? and there will always be a transition in the grade where your speed changes over time. Usually two gears at a time at the most - to maintain a consistent cadence I would have thought?

2) crossing the chain
3) making guesswork of the ideal gear you should be in when you get a change in grade?
The way mine is set up you can change up to 10 gears. Mostly I change 3 or 4 and I've made most use of it when there is a sudden change of conditions. Either cresting a hill in which case I do want to change quickly. I also use it when stopping from speed at the lights and changing down so I'm not starting in the biggest gear. And finally, when racing in a final sprint, good to go up quickly as I'm about to get out of the saddle. Depending on the course I'll go up maybe 4 gears at that point.

I keep no mental note of what gear I'm in - I'm more likely to ride to a cadence. I suppose that's "guessing" :-) I'm more focused on staying on getting on top of the gear rather than some sort of calculus of what I should be in.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 pm

vbplease wrote:

2) crossing the chain
I don't think I would ever go the whole 10 gears. But maybe sometimes I would want to go 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 5? So why set a limit - once I get used to the movement, I should be able to judge the ideal time to release the button. Which is kind of the crux of my question - if it's on "very fast", is that a hard judgement to make.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Eleri wrote:I keep no mental note of what gear I'm in - I'm more likely to ride to a cadence. I suppose that's "guessing" :-) I'm more focused on staying on getting on top of the gear rather than some sort of calculus of what I should be in.
Sounds good to me - riding to a particular cadence.
The guesswork I was reffering to (not in your case) was changing up to 10 gears in a go, not sure which one you need, but finding out when you get there?

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 pm

grimbo wrote: once I get used to the movement, I should be able to judge the ideal time to release the button.
From your earlier post I thought you were saying a long press would be programmed with a certain number of gear changes?
If it's just "time" pressing the lever then fast or very fast makes sense to me.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm

vbplease wrote:
grimbo wrote: once I get used to the movement, I should be able to judge the ideal time to release the button.
From your earlier post I thought you were saying a long press would be programmed with a certain number of gear changes?
If it's just "time" pressing the lever then fast or very fast makes sense to me.
Ah, yes - not very well phrased by me. I meant to say that you can program a maximum number of gears to change at one press.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 pm

i have mine on very fast and its a little too quick.. if your wanting to go 3-4 gears it will take off and go 5 or 6.. i think fast would be perfect