Moron Motorists #3

leighthebee

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Percrime wrote: Seriously? Prove a video has been unaltered? Easy peasy. Hell North Korea cant do it. Penthouse magazine cant do it on a still image.
Is it? Please enlighten me. :D

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Or were they changing lanes? I'm not familiar with Vic road rules, however does an offence need to be committed for this "who was driving" offence to be a lawful requirement or just if police are investigating a reasonable suspicion.

As for the video, it's clearly visible for an Internet forum to be judge and jury, but not much else.

Like I said, I'm not condoning this drivers behaviour, but it's not quite so cut and dried....

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Percrime wrote:Seriously? Prove a video has been unaltered? Easy peasy. Hell North Korea cant do it. Penthouse magazine cant do it on a still image.
tell me more about these still images... :lol:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Over on cycle chic? :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm

leighthebee wrote:Or were they changing lanes? I'm not familiar with Vic road rules, however does an offence need to be committed for this "who was driving" offence to be a lawful requirement or just if police are investigating a reasonable suspicion.
Standard motorist behaviour - 'change lanes' but neglect to actually get into the lane being changed into ie. they do not change lanes but rather drive along the lane line.

Rule 146 - note overtaking a cyclist does not constitute avoiding an 'obstruction' , we are traffic.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:Division 4—Driving in marked lanes or lines of traffic
146 Driving within a single marked lane or line of traffic
(1) A driver on a multi-lane road must drive so the driver's vehicle is completely in a marked lane, unless the driver is—
(a) entering a part of the road of one kind from a part of the road of another kind (for example, moving to or from a service road or a shoulder of the road); or
(b) entering or leaving the road; or
(c) moving from one marked lane to another marked lane; or
(d) avoiding an obstruction; or
(e) obeying a traffic control device applying to the marked lane; or
(f) permitted to drive in more than one marked lane under another provision of these Rules.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

il padrone wrote:
leighthebee wrote:Or were they changing lanes? I'm not familiar with Vic road rules, however does an offence need to be committed for this "who was driving" offence to be a lawful requirement or just if police are investigating a reasonable suspicion.
Standard motorist behaviour - 'change lanes' but neglect to actually get into the lane being changed into ie. they do not change lanes but rather drive along the lane line.

Rule 146 - note overtaking a cyclist does not constitute avoiding an 'obstruction' , we are traffic.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:Division 4—Driving in marked lanes or lines of traffic
146 Driving within a single marked lane or line of traffic
(1) A driver on a multi-lane road must drive so the driver's vehicle is completely in a marked lane, unless the driver is—
(a) entering a part of the road of one kind from a part of the road of another kind (for example, moving to or from a service road or a shoulder of the road); or
(b) entering or leaving the road; or
(c) moving from one marked lane to another marked lane; or
(d) avoiding an obstruction; or
(e) obeying a traffic control device applying to the marked lane; or
(f) permitted to drive in more than one marked lane under another provision of these Rules.
I've fought this one up here in queensland and lost :(

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I see the loophole!!!
(c) moving from one marked lane to another marked lane
They just changed their mind half way. :roll:

Not everybody fully comprehends the size of their car and fewer consider the mirrors.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 pm

An update on my close shave last week. The officer I spoke to left a note in my letter box while I was out this morning. I just got back from the station and things are looking up. He has looked at the video and agreed with me that it was a dangerous and stupid pass. He is going to speak to the owner but reiterated that he may not end up being charged with anything.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm

AKO wrote:An update on my close shave last week. The officer I spoke to left a note in my letter box while I was out this morning. I just got back from the station and things are looking up. He has looked at the video and agreed with me that it was a dangerous and stupid pass. He is going to speak to the owner but reiterated that he may not end up being charged with anything.

Sometimes that's enough to make them pull their head in.
2010 BMC SLC01

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

hannos wrote:
AKO wrote:An update on my close shave last week. The officer I spoke to left a note in my letter box while I was out this morning. I just got back from the station and things are looking up. He has looked at the video and agreed with me that it was a dangerous and stupid pass. He is going to speak to the owner but reiterated that he may not end up being charged with anything.

Sometimes that's enough to make them pull their head in.
And that would sit comfortably with me. This idiot will shortly be aware that some cyclists are videoing their rides and that stupid and dangerous acts are being reported.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 pm

AKO wrote:And that would sit comfortably with me. This idiot will shortly be aware that some cyclists are videoing their rides and that stupid and dangerous acts are being reported.
Exactly!

From the 2nd of April (pass at 0.11):

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Percrime wrote:
Seriously? Prove a video has been unaltered? Easy peasy. Hell North Korea cant do it. Penthouse magazine cant do it on a still image.
I only read it for the gardening tips.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 pm

I do swear on this video but it's <inaudible>

2012 Oppy A4

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Summernight wrote:

Jiminy cricket! The noise, not the close pass.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Summernight wrote:

Jiminy cricket! The noise, not the close pass.
The rattle? I think it is the lanyard connector (which is metal). I've put a rubber bit around it now so hopefully it will not make that noise (I'll see tomorrow). Also the GoPro chest mount apparently may have rattling noises inherent in it. I could overlay a cute song if that'd be better? :P Looking forward to getting the k-Edge handlebar mount to reattach it to the bar. Not a fan of the chest view - at the critical point in a video where I'd get a plate on video my arm always gets in the way. :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

1-2 layers of electricians tape on the base under the bayonet clip will cure that rattle. Just make sure you cut it neatly around the centre rib.

Scooter riders are pretty ignorant, They really have no idea. :roll:

Unfortunately it seems motorbike riders are learning from their bad example. :(
Last edited by trailgumby on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redned

Postby redned » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm

birdbrain wrote:Penthouse magazine cant do it on a still image.
I only read it for the gardening tips.[/quote]

Yeh, me to.
Oh, tips. Those to.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm

redned wrote:Yeh, me to.
Oh, tips. Those to.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

[quote="outnabike"][quote="outnabike"]A bit close this morning on a shopping trip, and for no reason as there was a free lane on the right. I may look a bit close to the edge but I heard the car on my wheel and moved over a bit more than normal. I will have to learn to say the number plate of these types of drivers. Have to get U tube fixed too.

Thanks to all who expressed concern over this incident and in particular Percrime, for the analysis of the number.

With the slightly more clear pics at home I actually thought the front number was an N, as the sun just makes a bit of shadow across it.

I will now re submit the facts and see if I can get this driver talked to. I don't expect more than that but it would be a reminder to them that they cant get away with every thing. I will submit my version of the plate with out any extraneous information such as engine numbers or anything else, and see how I go.
What I will do is face the Springvale HQ of the Highway Patrol personally and try again. Harder for them to fob me off if they ascertain that the rego as on the ball I would say.
I have seen this car around or similar so will have to check it out. At least I have a starting point now.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Well you can run that version of the 4 numbers through the DB yourself see what you get
http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/TermsAndConditions.aspx

THere you go.

If you want to email me the best original pic of the plate. In original res.. but you can crop it to be maybe 3 times the plate in every direction.. I have some software that MIGHT do a better job of pulling the number back

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I do swear on this video but it's <inaudible>

I liked the bit at the end and the Kona Glove protection factor :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I do swear on this video but it's <inaudible>

That was yesterday. Today I rode wider to discourage similar behaviour and the video below shows what happened. Fair warning - there's an awesome song that I like playing over my video :lol:

2012 Oppy A4

zero

Postby zero » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Without sound its harder for me to tell, but I suspect that driver has floored it to get past you, and has offered a lot of clearance - ie his plan was to not drive close to you, and to finish the move before the corner, which is seriously preferable to the other vids treatment.

In a real sense he has also transferred the risk of the move away from you and onto him, because he is now on the wrong side of the road, which means he may improve his driving in the future - ie only perform overtaking moves when there is more distance to the corner. Drivers that are able to cut off cyclists completely never learn from it, because there is no negative feedback to them unless you drag them out of the car at the next set of lights and beat the living daylights out of them.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Unlike zero i wouldn't necessarily advocate pulling someone out of a car and beating them :lol: but it was a clearly marked company vehicle Kona - ring them and speak with someone high up in the food chain and hit them up with the notion that the occupational health & safety in the workplace apply on the road too when they are driving around in company vehicles. You have the time, numberplates & place of the dumb overtake so pinning it on a particular driver shouldn't be hard for the company to find out. Any decent company should take these matters very seriously these days and it shouldn't take much prompting to achieve some results... Like you mention in the clip, the driver saved no time whatsoever in doing what they did.

BTW, Faith No More rocks, slip any song of theirs in your vids anytime. I prefer the live version of Epic though....

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Percrime wrote:Well you can run that version of the 4 numbers through the DB yourself see what you get
http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/TermsAndConditions.aspx

THere you go.

If you want to email me the best original pic of the plate. In original res.. but you can crop it to be maybe 3 times the plate in every direction.. I have some software that MIGHT do a better job of pulling the number back
Thanks mate , It seems as though blowing it up just disperses the pixels and makes it even harder to read. The view in the post actually is the best pic to get a reading from.I am pretty well convinced that you nailed it.
I hope the police will confirm that the said vehicle will be local to me.The camera is a Sony and pretty low res. Pretty lucky to get what I did with all the whit overexposing the shot.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers