Ultegra Di2 vs old Dura-ace Di2

george-bob

Ultegra Di2 vs old Dura-ace Di2

Postby george-bob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am

I am planning on building myself a TT/Tri bike in the latter half of this year, I am set on using Di2 so I can shift from both the base bar and extensions (and also because I REALLY like toys). Looking around you can grab the outgoing Dura-ace 7971 (the TT version) for about $1400 with everything. Whereas setting up Ultegra Di2 for a TT bike will cost about $1600 (groupset + extension shifters + basebar shifters).

I understand the old dura ace Di2 has the now obsolete wiring harness set up, other than this, is there any reason not to buy old dura ace compared to current ultegra?

Thanks!

Dr_Mutley

Re: Ultegra Di2 vs old Dura-ace Di2

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 pm

I've run both... Old DA Di2 more however, and if multishift doesn't sway u then go DA Di2.

Pros from my POV are... Lighter, looks better, much better battery life, and very easily modified (ie cheaper, lighter and longer lasting internal battery options)

Shift and ride quality is identical however, which is the most important thing...

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 am

I've got the early DA Di2 on my TT bike and the Ult Di2 on my road bike and as Dr_Mutley says the shifting is the same. I don't think you can get brake lever shift buttons on Ult Di2 but I believe the later DA 9000 ones can be used.

$1400 sounds like a great deal if you can get EVERTHING you need for TT bike. I orginally wanted to convert my TT bike from mechanical to Di2 but it was going to cost nearly $3K and I ended up buying a complete new bike for just over $3K that had Di2 on it from the factory. Just swapped my saddle and carbon wheels on from my previous bike and sold old bike.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am

Alternatively, if you would like to make some (cheap) custom shifting buttons then with the old di2 u can make your own, as this chap has here:

http://benmanson.com/review/di2/di2buttons.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;