Munda Biddi - Albany to Denmark

Munda Biddi - Albany to Denmark

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had ridden this new section of the Munda Biddi and could give some idea of the trail condition. I am thinking of riding from Albany to Collie in July to tick off the trail and with time being a touch tight I am considering doing this leg in one day which is probably quite doable but just thought I would ask anyway.

Camping options seem pretty limited given the route. Pity more thought/money didn't go into the route planning and it was pushed closer to the coast much like the Bibbulumun Track does.

Anyway any thoughts?

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

BNA

Re: Munda Biddi - Albany to Denmark

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

I heard that the new section was being ridden later this year, members only event for the Friends of the Munda Biddi. However it looks like they started this event yesterday, from Albany back to Perth. http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/news/79-munda-biddi-chair-to-lead-epic-this-weekend.html . Maybe enquire with the trail foundation after 28 April when this event finishes, there'll be lots of opinions then. Otherwise ask Cavebear2, he's at least ridden to Nannup.

PS one of the questions I'd be asking: "is the new section suitable for a loaded bike and 1 day's ride?". I've ridden back to Perth a few times from Albany in a day offroad and on but having singletrail only would be bloody tough going.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Albany to Collie is around 700 km on the Munda Biddi ... not doing that in a day :)

I have ridden through to Nannup sans the Collie to Donnybrook section so have an idea. I was just curious about this section since it has been in use for awhile.

I will probably just do it as a one day ride as the camping options are pretty limited.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby John Lewis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 pm

I've not ridden it but friends have so I will ask them.
My understanding is that some of it is old rail line trail. Also heard there were some sandy sections. The bit from about Bornholm area or so has been ridden on a touring tandem with a blind chap on the back so can't be too bad. I know they had to walk in a couple of spots.

John
John Lewis

Postby jet-ski » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Andrew - the munda biddi trail foundation has a Facebook page so I'd say the ride that just4tehhalibut mentioned will be throwing up updates and perhaps blog entries
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm

jet-ski wrote:Andrew - the munda biddi trail foundation has a Facebook page so I'd say the ride that just4tehhalibut mentioned will be throwing up updates and perhaps blog entries

Thanks. I am aware of one blog related to the ride but it seems to have gone quiet.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby O'Doherty » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Just did the Albany to Denmark leg it was fantastic the only bit we didn't like was the detour North past Youngs Siding to Hay river by Road its about 7ks by the Munda Biddi its about 20ks on some uninteresting straight gravel roads. The road by the Hay River is quite scenic it was just a diversion we didn't want at the time would have rather domne the 7k's by road. The Denmark to Hay river is overlooking the WIlsons Inlet very scenic. We did it on ordinary road bikes which were fine.
O'Doherty

Return to Western Australia