How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

trailgumby

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Got soaked this morning, but had a ripper ride home. That rice dish I had for lunch sure turned the wick up :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm

marinmomma wrote:Only if they lowered the gradient of deadman's as well as resurface the road.
what's a little pinch between friends?

commute home had a couple of events
promo girls giving away red bull cans along the bicentennial bikeway - they were on bikes and all. would have liked to have seen them in lycra if you know what i mean..

then corner of land st and sylvan rd there was a bloke with his bike turned over on the dog and bone. i yell out "need a hand?" "Yes please was the response"
I go over and he said his pump was cactus. pull out mine and give it a shot. after 30 seconds, no air in the tube. valve of the tube is cactus. offer a tube but he declines and says he'll walk from there to red hill :shock:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Dry afternoon, not like the soaky morning commute. And here is my horse getting ready for the 22kph ride, lol!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Perth:

Another warm morning so I could travel light and easy.

I was expecting however that the afternoon trip home would be rather hot like yesterday. However it was fine. Indeed well into the journey I stopped of at Rock's coffee van in Mt Pleasant and had a coffee. :)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

Another warm morning so I could travel light and easy.

I was expecting however that the afternoon trip home would be rather hot like yesterday. However it was fine. Indeed well into the journey I stopped of at Rock's coffee van in Mt Pleasant and had a coffee. :)
Nice! Hoping to get into coffee again. I am on diet for 4 weeks now(2 more)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Rode past a punch up on the verge outside the local shops on the way home tonight - evidently over a rear ending of another car in the car park exit (looked like a real dumb crash).
Fistycuffs, screaming wives/girlfriends - the whole shooting match.
Got a smidgen of it on my fore/aft cameras, but didn't wanna slow down toooo much at the risk of becoming part of the festivities.

Ah the things ya see...weather was beautiful BTW.

Cheers

Time

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 am

Was the proverbial drowned rat yesterday arvo....the BOM showed a corridor of supposedly rain free area which also happened to be my general direction..thought I might get lucky. Well as I started out of my building it came down. I was then rained on for the next 40 odd k's. Only upside was I was going home.

Woke up to a clear but again very foggy morning. Was a good uneventful morning ride and I was again surprised by seeing other riders going my way...this time 5. Never saw this many in summer.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 am

coot-tha with my mates this morning with the heaviest backpack I've ever carried to work. that hurt.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am

North Ryde - Lane Cove West:
Great morning, clear sky, but it was a bit of a chill to me. Manage to get 2 kph above my 22 kph to heat up a bit on my 12 minutes commute. Guys, this distance is big thing for me, lol!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 am

Great afternoon for the commute back in Melbourne yesterday. MYT, Banyule Trail etc for the ride home.
Cool again this morning, but clear and dry and uneventful.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 am

Lazy 30km this morning. Bumped into Colin and had a chat about unicycling. Good to meet you Colin.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am

Tornado wrote:Lazy 30km this morning. Bumped into Colin and had a chat about unicycling. Good to meet you Colin.
For the record Tornada wasn't so much after conversation as he was to catch my draft. You guys on two wheels don't fool me one little bit. :twisted: You just need me to bring down your strava times.

Still almost perfect conditions in Perth for riding if you don't mind a touch of stickiness late in the ride. I'm still not even bothering with the hot water tap at the end of the ride.

Another two weeks and we should be able to kiss the Leach Highway Crossover Handicap goodbye. 8)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am

2nd ride since op, really not feeling it still, just plodded away, have also cut suger out of my diet, which wouldn't be helpping the energy levels! 32 degrees on the way to work at 9am :(

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am

Hope the crossover is only 2 weeks and thanks for the Draft! :lol:

The deviations north of Cockburn are a reason my morning ride doesn't normally go north. I usually park at Cockburn and go south for 20k and turn around and go back to the car to continue to work. But seeing the city lights this morning has prompted me to head that way a bit more and mix it up.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

Well Jasonc should be pleased - on my morning run I saw the blonde lady cyclist doing a lap up and down the Kew part of the Yarra Boulevard (the hill section near Walmer Street)... Blue with white stripe transparent knicks were in pride of place on her rear. So she either didn't hear me on Monday or she chooses to ride with transparent knicks. :P Jasonc you may ogle to your heart's content it seems.

I wasn't able to call out to her when she came back down the hill as I didn't realise it was her until she went past (I was expecting her to do the same as Monday and head to the Walmer St bridge but she changed her routine).

I then had the pleasure of seeing a male cyclist's crackspace in his bright red knicks. I could see it from 10 metres away. I obviously wasn't running hard enough if I'm getting distracted by knicks. :P

Anyway, lovely morning to ride into work - the GoPro froze again this morning (although at a different viewscreen to the previous times). I managed to do an 'on the fly' battery reset while waiting at the Hoddle Street lights (man, are they long!). Worked fine after that. For the riding time before the reset I felt almost naked without the camera running. :|

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 am

I've been having a great week without being rained on so far and the rest is looking sweet for Sydney.

I'm making in a single-speed week so it's getting tough on the uphill homeward commute with a couple of painful pinches that 48-18 isn't brilliant on.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

Summernight wrote:Well Jasonc should be pleased - on my morning run I saw the blonde lady cyclist doing a lap up and down the Kew part of the Yarra Boulevard (the hill section near Walmer Street)... Blue with white stripe transparent knicks were in pride of place on her rear. So she either didn't hear me on Monday or she chooses to ride with transparent knicks. :P Jasonc you may ogle to your heart's content it seems.

This is worth nothing without pics or video footage :(

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 am

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:Well Jasonc should be pleased - on my morning run I saw the blonde lady cyclist doing a lap up and down the Kew part of the Yarra Boulevard (the hill section near Walmer Street)... Blue with white stripe transparent knicks were in pride of place on her rear. So she either didn't hear me on Monday or she chooses to ride with transparent knicks. :P Jasonc you may ogle to your heart's content it seems.

:mrgreen:

Now I have to wear the GoPro whilst running? Sheesh, I already look dorky enough and like I'm about to die. Who wants their death throes on camera? :lol:
(I don't carry a camera or phone-with-camera while running. Probably should, but oh well)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

Summernight wrote:
gretaboy wrote:

:mrgreen:

Now I have to wear the GoPro whilst running? Sheesh, I already look dorky enough and like I'm about to die. Who wants their death throes on camera? :lol:
(I don't carry a camera or phone-with-camera while running. Probably should, but oh well)
yup. camera required. we need to judge for ourselves if they are seethrough (and if they are seethrough, if they need to be told to change knicks)

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Tornado wrote: The deviations north of Cockburn are a reason my morning ride doesn't normally go north. I usually park at Cockburn and go south for 20k and turn around and go back to the car to continue to work. But seeing the city lights this morning has prompted me to head that way a bit more and mix it up.
If you ride early enough (to avoid traffic) a good route is to go from the freeway straight along Beeliar Ave to the Coast then either right towards Freo or left to Henderson then choose any number of routes to get back there.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I've had something stuck in my eye for three hours now so evening commute is by bus. #fail

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Re transparency, are we talking only of old knicks that have become see-thru with age?

'cos I spotted a fair bit of crack on a male butt-crack last week thru a panel that was obviously designed for my viewing DISpleasure. The guys rear looked like something you would see on the back end of a silverback gorilla. Certainly not something that I need not see again.

The nicks looked to be in good nick (sorry, couldn't resist :lol: ) so I may be exposed (sorry again) to it for some time.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Rex wrote:If you ride early enough (to avoid traffic) a good route is to go from the freeway straight along Beeliar Ave to the Coast then either right towards Freo or left to Henderson then choose any number of routes to get back there.
Thanks I might check that out soon.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Re transparency, are we talking only of old knicks that have become see-thru with age?

'cos I spotted a fair bit of crack on a male butt-crack last week thru a panel that was obviously designed for my viewing DISpleasure. The guys rear looked like something you would see on the back end of a silverback gorilla. Certainly not something that I need not see again.

The nicks looked to be in good nick (sorry, couldn't resist :lol: ) so I may be exposed (sorry again) to it for some time.
I don't think it would matter - if they're see-through they're see-through. Old or new. I think the lady's weren't that old - just the wrong fabric. And the red man's knicks didn't look that old either, once again just the wrong fabric choice.

I forgot to mention a cyclist on my commute last night that I had to pass 3 times. He kept pushing ahead of me at the lights. The first time I passed him I had just caught up with him at a set of lights so that one was fine. The next time I was waiting in the right hand turn lane for the lights to go green and he came up behind me 25 seconds after I'd stopped in the right hand turn lane, magically turned into a pedestrian without hopping off his bicycle, crossed the ped path and then crossed against the light to get into the copenhagen bicycle lane for a 45 second head start to my legitimate right hand turn.

So I pass him again three blocks down and then three/four blocks later I stop at the Hoddle Street lights behind two other cyclists already waiting in the bicycle lane for the lights to change. 20 seconds after I get there this same cyclist comes up on my left (where I didn't think there was that much room) and pushes in front of me in the bicycle line... So once the lights turn green and we head off, precisely 20 metres down the road I have to pass him again as I'm going faster than him. This time I said "Passing... again". At least I amused myself.

I mean, it's not as if I blend in to all the other cyclists when I'm wearing a bright orange and rainbow skirt... Maybe he was of the opinion that because I was female he was automatically faster than me and should move further up the queue. But you would have thought that the previous two passings would have clued him in. Nope.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm looking forward to some cold and wet weather. Speed the day when the fair-weather cyclists put their Strava KOM attempts on hold for another Winter, because it's making some of them behave like complete idiots. The worst ones are those who refuse to slow down on shared paths, because they resent being slowed down even for a second. So they cut corners, overtake with insufficient clearance, and generally behave like they're trying to alienate everyone else, and probably don't even realise they're behaving exactly like the motorists who treat cyclists in the same manner on roads.