Braze on v bands

familyguy

Braze on v bands

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 pm

OK, lets talk FD's.

On frames without brazed on tabs, is there a 'better' option?

I've got a frame sans tab, and a choice of FD's. One has the integrated clamp, the other, not. Is there any stiffness advantage in the clamp setup vs. putting a braze-on FD in an adapter clamp?

Jim

ZepinAtor

Re: Braze on v bands

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Nope ! Same, same.

On the band front though there are some very sexy ones about.

I have one of these on my roadie & it's the jizzzz.

http://www.stealthcycling.com/product/P ... -SALE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 pm

There are some nice ones. I've got adapter clamps for 28.6, 31.9 and 34.9 in the parts boxes, but if there was an advantage (at least to us mere mortals not pounding out a thousand watts and lightning quick changes under load), I'd have been swayed.

Braze-on adapters at ten paces it is!

Jim

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm

The only advantage I can possibly think of is when the FD is mounted at the correct angle (parallel to the chain rings) you then have the opportunity to slide the FD up & down on the clamp/adaptor.

As for the hideously overpriced very thin carbon band the best advantage is that you can mount your bottle cage straight over the top as is required on some frames instead having to pack the bottle cage over the clamp.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

familyguy wrote:OK, lets talk FD's.

On frames without brazed on tabs, is there a 'better' option?

I've got a frame sans tab, and a choice of FD's. One has the integrated clamp, the other, not. Is there any stiffness advantage in the clamp setup vs. putting a braze-on FD in an adapter clamp?

Jim
Probably not - I'm using an adaptor with a triple derailleur on my touring bike. There is no perceptible flex or movement.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Using a band is going to be heavier. So unless your chasing grams get a cool band like the carbon Parlee above or a K-Edge with chain catcher.

- David.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Weight not an issue. Not on a commuter with guards, and possibly a rack. Until something shows a defined, quantified advantage then I'm happy with the two-part setup on this bike.

Jim

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Jim,

The only advantage I could muster on using the band is that if you wanted to move to a different frame one day, you would only have to replace the clamp if the seat tube was different.

However you will find that a FD+Band will cost more than just a clamp-on FD.

Just get the clamp-on mech and move on. Functionally there is no difference.

- David.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

there's heaps of after market ones on ebay for under $30, including carbon.
search for braze on adaptor

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 am

DavidL wrote:Using a band is going to be heavier. So unless your chasing grams get a cool band like the carbon Parlee above or a K-Edge with chain catcher.

- David.
Not always. On carbon or composite frames if the front der. tab is manufactered in place then the frame will have to be reinforced or beefed up in that area or suffer some kludge like a riveted mount/reinforcement all of which goes to ensure that it doesn't become a stress riser or an area that will break or fail. A band clamp could in fact be a lighter solution which is why some very high end weight weenie frames opt for a band clamp set up. On a steel frame a brazed on front derailleur tab is welded in place just above or on the transition of the butted section of the seat tube. In theory and practice this also makes for another possible stress area and adding heat to the thinnest section of tubing isn't a good idea.

Band clamps are more than fine in practice, distribute loads/forces more evenly and facilitate being able to tailor the derailleur height to exactly the right position in relation to your outer chainring regardless of size.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.