New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

HappyHumber

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm sure just4thehallibut has one of these in his stable for him to report back.... It's either that or waiting for decent rain again in Perth.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:42 pm

I was actually offered the purchase by bike24, however it had been with the CC that has been stolen. New card required a new order. Now their price is up to 149 Euro rather than the 104 Euro when I first ordered and the web-site still says 'no stock' :? :|

Currently about to head off overseas so there's no rush. Maybe by July they'll have stock and I'll know whether it is rain-proof :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 pm

HappyHumber wrote: waiting for decent rain again in Perth.
Sounds like Perth's wet season is a bit like Ballarat's seasons.

Ballarat has two seasons - winter and February :lol:

Perth's wet season is three days in July ??

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I'm sure just4thehallibut has one of these in his stable for him to report back.... It's either that or waiting for decent rain again in Perth.

He does have one, and I've seen it in action and I want one :)
but ofc it's from his mouth we shall here indeed if his does die from water ingress. But of course it could just be the simple fact the end users may have not done the USB port cover correctly allowing water ingress into what is essentially a power socket.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Good point Baalzamon. I believe that B&M instruct that the power/control lead must be attached sweeping up to the light for just this reason (?)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 pm

il padrone wrote:Good point Baalzamon. I believe that B&M instruct that the power/control lead must be attached sweeping up to the light for just this reason (?)
If you look at how electric cables are run along our power poles. You will notice that they have a U shaped loop. That is by design so that water will follow that low point. If there is enough cable leading to the light I would be doing the same and having a half loop U shaped so that water will drip off that lower U point

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:23 pm

il padrone wrote:
HappyHumber wrote: waiting for decent rain again in Perth.
Perth's wet season is three days in July ??
"My" impressions of Perth is its Summer is just too hot to do much.
Winter is bloomin wet and windy and surprisingly cold, though more cold in the evenings.
This is the opinion of someone who spent 7 of the last 8 years in NZ :shock:
I am comparing it to the Central Tablelands NSW.
Now that Autumn is finally here I can go outside again.
Or so I thought as I lost most of the layers of skin off my nose to sunburn on the weekend after forgetting my hat. :o

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Got a surprise today, received my shipment notice from Bike24 with the Luxos U/IQ2 on it's way from Das Vaterland... that and some 29er Schwalbe Super Motos big baloon fatties :) . Now, hopefully all will be received safe & correctly well within a full lunar cycle.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 am

Good on ya Kym.
Cant wait to hear your opinion on them after a few weeks of use.
They look very promising with good reports from the owners.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Only downside is that if you are charging you can't have the lights on
This comment was made at the YACF thread on this light. I guess to be expected ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Just had this comment posted on my blog re the Luxos U ...

I also have a Luxos U and loved it until it failed, incidentally after the first rain (downpour). I live in California and had several month to use the light before it rained and failed. It easily charges my iphone and lets me use its gps without worrying of running out of power.

The light has a battery that keeps the LEDs powered when standing still. The handlebar button indicates full battery with a red light. If the battery is only partly charged, the red light is off. It looks like USB devices are only start charging once the red light comes on.

Anyway - great light except that not so encouraging failure ... Hope it's an exception and I'm just unlucky.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Ah.. you're such doomsayer, Andrew. :P Californians wouldn't know how mount mudguards - let alone wire a light to well protect from water ingress. But suffice to say I will be keeping my box for some time after my unit arrives should I have any issues!

oh, and I double checked againts my shipping note, I was charged the 125.90 EUR (ex-VAT) for mine. I expect the price will plateau eventually lower but otherwise fairly happy with my price as an early adoptor.
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Just for HappyHumber :)

This is the latest comment I have received on this light ..
Hi

I’m in Melbourne and received a Luxos U a week or so ago from Germany: bad news, it’s already going back. The main problem is that it would randomly switch itself off when I was riding: not good at 7.00pm in the dark. It’s also nowhere near as bright as claimed, in fact compared to my Philips LED or Trelock LS950 it’s pretty much invisible. And the red charging light never came on at all and the “flashing” lights aren’t, that’s a mis-translation – they can be flashed if you hold the button down but don’t blink continuously.

What’s worse is that when I contacted the shop they said that they’d had lots of problems with the lights, so didn’t seem surprised that I was returning it. From prior experience with B&M the light will now spend the next year or so being shuttled between Melbourne and Germany, will finally be returned to me whereupon it will fall off my bike, break irretrievably and then get thrown out. SWHS mentions on his blog that B&M had lots of problems with the U: unfortunately I didn’t see his post before I ordered it.

I should’ve gone with my other option which was to buy a second LS950, which is an excellent light.
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Now my try

xxcycle just got them in stock and I just ordered it via paypal.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, mine arrived just now. Just a smidge under 2 weeks from the shipping notice.

Now I'm nervous.
--

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:58 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Well, mine arrived just now. Just a smidge under 2 weeks from the shipping notice.

Now I'm nervous.
Photos or it hasn't happened
Mine has already hit Australian shores after purchasing Thursday, so I'm expecting it tomorrow. xxcycle is already out of stock of it again so I'm glad in one way I purchased when I did.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm

It didn't occur to me to try and get the twitchy young Asian guy in his white van to stand still long enough to pose for a photo - but rest assured in it's original B&M packaging it looks NOTHING like 125 Euro worth :D

A few other bike related mechanical things in the "to do" queue before I sit down and mount this puppy.
--

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:31 pm

HappyHumber wrote: before I sit down and mount this puppy.
RSPCA are on their way :!: :wink:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 pm

very droll, Aidan :P

Short of actually playing with it on the bike & dyno, one thing concerns me slightly is the inclusion of what seems to be an instructional errata or addendum. It seems to be only in German. This is supplemental to the standard, EN, FR, DE & NL dark blue printed instructions.

Maybe it's superfluous, maybe not. The diagram in the middle seems to correct that in the regular instructions in that shows the USB symbol being correctly mounted on the downside of the plug.

Anyway.. thumbnail here clicks through to a higher res scan of the note.

--

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

HappyHumber wrote:very droll, Aidan :P

Short of actually playing with it on the bike & dyno, one thing concerns me slightly is the inclusion of what seems to be an instructional errata or addendum. It seems to be only in German. This is supplemental to the standard, EN, FR, DE & NL dark blue printed instructions.

Maybe it's superfluous, maybe not. The diagram in the middle seems to correct that in the regular instructions in that shows the USB symbol being correctly mounted on the downside of the plug.

Anyway.. thumbnail here clicks through to a higher res scan of the note.

Ok since bored at work translate from google, and also I might have the same issue

1st picture showing light
handlebar pushbutton connector plug for use must always be stuck in the headlights, otherwise function are defectivity and water could penetrate! Solution: connection cable lead for protection against accidental unscrewing of headlight bracket
USB connection picture
Insert the USB connector correctly in handlebar switch

USB symbol on the plug facing down
Warning image
When connecting a light jerk with no ground connection to the frame proper functioning of LUXOS U is possible

Solution: Connect Taillight with double cable to the headlight and disconnect electrical connection to the frame in the reverse light
Underneath above
Panoramic low beam switches on for usually between 15 and 20 km / h until approximately 6 km / h infinitely brighter, the slower you go for dynamo running wheels with exceptionally small diameter (eg when recumbent), it may be that the Panaroma low beam only significantly km.h under 10 begins to shine

The speed range for the panoramic jedzerzeit low beam can be redefined and themselves. To the headlights - keep printed when driving for at least 10 Secunder or link button. The spotlight turns to his 5x On / Off De average speed was gefaren in these 10 Secunder, is the center of the new speed range, low beam lights in the panoramic

The back light monitoring only works properly if the connection with the correct polarity reverse light was observed.
The monitor LED may light up, even if in the light jerk off as light-capacitor is charged

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 pm

I have the Luxos U user manual in English, if this can help?
Also lots of spare cable connectors, double wires, heat shrink and wire strippers if HH needs assist.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:13 pm

HH done any riding with it yet?
Mine was attempted delivery yesterday, so I picked it up this morning. Taken a few photos as box was squished but was packed OK inside so nothing damaged. Opened it up quickly and reflector fell out so I installed it on the light :)
Packing of the light itself quite ordinary compared with say Supernova who put it in a nice tin with foam all round it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 pm

HappyHumber wrote:very droll, Aidan :P

[/url]
Come on Kym,
wheres the pics?
Which of your many bikes have you chosen?
Is this your first dynamo light?
I can remember first firing up my Edelux and being blown away, having replaced an old sturmey archer bulb setup.
For the first time I could actually see, as opposed to just being seen.
Great feeling. :D

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Sorry lads. no progress.

It's all still in the pack, after the little bit of excitement yesterday with that "Achtung! Halt! USB-katzenjammer" extra piece of paper. I will say though, the new light has got as far as being taken down the shed. I spent yesterday afternoon working through a backlog of inner tube patchings after it came to a head after a particularly bad Audax run puncture wise on Saturday left me in debt to some fellow club riders tube AND tyre wise.

I'm not really doubting the light's beam, having ridden a number of times at night with just4thehallibut, since he's had his, on some quieter more isolated roads. And I am already sold on the dynamo technology, albeit with a cheapie SP-Dynamo hub ebay special in a wheel I built up. It's just that worry-wart, Aushiker and his relaying of doom & gloom from other corners of the interwebs that has got me a little concerned with regards to the product build quality. ;)

I dare say my main feedback will come after at least one or two wet night rides. What with my amazing powers of procastination and our diminishing rainfall hereabouts in this corner of Aus..... my advice is.... don't hold yer breath!

[edit] or J4tH could boot me up the ar5e and ask for his loaner light back. That might bring things forward.
--

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Well I've got my light now, it's on my bike but still working on it.
The plug from the handlebar with a heavy rain might get into the light, I'm going to close it up to stop that.