Caution - Kwinana Freeway PSP Sunday 14th

ColinOldnCranky

Caution - Kwinana Freeway PSP Sunday 14th

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 pm

A heads up to anyone wanting a fast ride along the South Perth section of the Kwinana Freeway PSP next Sunday - Take extra care around the South end of the Narrows and the area around the dunnies in Como for kiddies.

And also be aware that there will be a lot of very VERY tired riders later in the day completing the Three dams and Five dams challenges along the PSP.

Arising out of the Great River Ride there will be a number of riders - largely family groups - mums, dads, kiddies etc.

Some will be will be riding from Coode Street to under the Narrows and then south to around the Como dunnies near the Pagoda and then then turning back around and heading back to the Narrows and Coode Street.

Other riders will only go as far as the South end of the Narrows and be using the area around the jet-ski car parking area for turning back to Coode Street.

The rides commences around Coode Street from 8:30. It would be smart to factor in a lot of kids and confused parents on the PSP starting at, say, 8:45.

And also factor in a lot of confusion around the Pagoda and around the car park at the south end of the Narrows.

Ride safe, ride with consideration.

Map - those turning at the Narrows
http://www.bwa.org.au/file/file/Great%2 ... rse(1).pdf

Map - those riding to Como -
http://www.bwa.org.au/file/file/Great%2 ... rse(2).pdf
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

nickobec

Re: Caution - Kwinana Freeway PSP Sunday 14th

Postby nickobec » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 am

The two kids rides aka Great River Rides run from 8:30am to 11am. I understand the first turnaround point has been changed to just before going under the narrows, so no road crossings for the 1st group. The 2nd group cross the road, where I believe I am marshalling and head south to Como and then return.

Personally, unless I had a very good reason to be on the PSP in Como or South Perth on Sunday between 8 and 11, I would avoid it.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And also be aware that there will be a lot of very VERY tired riders later in the day completing the Three dams and Five dams challenges along the PSP.
1600 or so riders get on the PSP at Armadale Road (I believe) and ride through to the South Perth foreshore, aiming to finish before 4pm.

From my experience last year, testing a new bike on the PSP, you will run into plenty of bunches of 10 to 20 riders, not all will ride in single file and some will be tired and sloppy.

Again I would try to avoid the PSP from Armadale road to South Perth, unless absolutely necessary. Seriously contemplating how to get home from my marshalling duties. I would normally take the PSP south to Kwinana
Last edited by nickobec on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

just4tehhalibut

Re: Caution - Kwinana Freeway PSP Sunday 14th

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:51 am

Already warned the Audax club of this and the Foothills Cruise is now starting a little earlier at 7:30am to avoid the family groups in South Perth. Already experienced riding amongst the groups coming back along the Kwinana PSP last year, you'll find that the groups really slow down on those little rises to the freeway underpasses in order to keep their members together, hence they aren't good to sit behind and you might find yourself sandwiched between groups.