Hello from a new member, MTB recommendations

Slow6

Re: Hello from a new member, MTB recommendations

Postby Slow6 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

mr626 wrote:Thanks for the reply Slow6. I've been keeping an eye on gumtree and I'm pretty sure I saw that bike previously.

I guess I'm slightly hesitant to purchase something like a dual suspension bike second hand, as I really don't feel that I know enough about fixing/maintaining them (yet!). Agreed, it seems to be in good condition and at a good price though. I'm about 2 hours away from where that particular bike is located unfortunately, but I might contact the seller anyway and see what he says.

Probably still leaning towards buying new though
Fair enough.. I'm still going to drop anything cool I see around Sydney in this thread to taunt you.. You'll eventually have to buy something just to shut me up :P

This Kona is dripping in xtr and again would be a lot of fun. The terrible photography might help keep the price low too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kona-ManoMan ... 2a2b8d881b

Bicycle mechanics is as easy as pie and between this forum and the thousands of step by step videos from random guys on youtube you'll never be stuck for long. A new bike in the lower range is also going to require maintenance very quickly anyway.. either way you'll be getting greasy soon enough.

mr626

Postby mr626 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks Slow6, I do appreciate it. I may yet work something out with the Marin (just to shut you up of course).

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm

mr626

Postby mr626 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 am

Once again, thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

In the end, a deal presented itself that was too good to pass up. By this time next week I'll be riding:

a 2009 gt peace 9r. Maybe not the 'safest' newbie choice, but there was a few things that convinced me:

-The simplicity of a rigid single speed. I really like that aspect of it, reminds me a little of my BMX days.
-The price was right. Worst case and I absolutely hate it I should be able to sell it without losing out too much
-The condition of the bike. Has basically done mainly road kms on slicks, the original Kendas are as-new
-The chance to try a 29er cheaply. Too many of you were praising it for me to ignore.

There were other factors too- pretty much universal praise of the bike in reviews, the colour/style, the fact that its a 2009 model so has disk brakes.

Wish me luck as I have fun and kill my knees. You may now commence telling me that I'm crazy :lol:

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm

LOVE IT!! You'll have a lot of fun with that beast and you wont miss the gears at all. Think 10 years old on your bmx again - Pure Joy!

Well done.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 pm

You're crazy :lol: but why the hell not? :D

If you wanna take it for a spin, I'm hosting a newbies' mtb ride for a mate and a few hangers on at Terrey Hills tomorrow morning at 8:30am. Details here: http://nobmob.com/node/41490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great singlespeed trail.

Edit: just noticed you don't have it yet :oops: That's OK, will do another of these in a few weeks.

mr626

Postby mr626 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the offer trailgumby. I think I'd like to spend some time getting used to the bike on trails that I'm already familiar with before I travel further afield though.

mr626

Postby mr626 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 am

Well, Slow6 was right. I don't miss gears at all :lol:

Picked this up yesterday:

Had a great ride on one of my local trails. Some thoughts:

-The medium size is perfect for me. I was a little unsure if it would be too big, but its fine.
-This thing is so quiet! None of the normal noises I associate with riding a bike. Pretty much the only thing you hear is road-noise from the tyres
-For an all steel frame it feels pretty light. I haven't weighed it, but it feel lighter than my geared 26er
-I can see what people mean about 29ers being great for rolling over rough ground- really noticed the different in this area riding this bike compared to my 26er
-Disk brakes are heaps better than V brakes
-Attacking hills is very different on a SS. Seems to be mostly about maintaining momentum. I was fine on all the hills on my track except one- there's a section where I have to carry the bike over a railway line and immediately after that is a fairly steep hill. Not carrying any momentum meant I had to walk it. Probably doesn't help that the bike is running a 16 tooth rear cog at present...

No regrets here- very happy with the bike. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:16 pm

I found the same with the Spot Rocker 29er belt drive when I reviewed it. Momentum is king.

Had lots of fun passing all the guys on the track (Manly Dam) that day with 26er duallies, standing up out of the saddle with the fork locked and gunning it, doing whatever I had to to keep the momentum up going up hills.

The looks on their faces as I went past going up were priceless... "WTH?! No gears! :shock:" I remember thinking "blow me down with a feather, that was unexpected!" :lol:

Of course it caught up with me at the infamous 20%+ Heartbreak Hill. A third of the way up I blew up and had to walk. And instead of my usual three laps, by the time I got to the Wakehurst Golf Club entrance on the second lap I'd burnt all my matches and had to abandon :oops: :x :P :lol:

But it gave me an insight into why so many find the 29er rigid singlespeed thing so addictive.

Steel bikes are so nice to ride! Next time we've got a Terrey Hills ride coming up I'll let you know.

mr626

Postby mr626 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:31 pm

tailgumby, I just read your review of the Spot Rocker 29er. A good read.

The price though :shock: I had no idea SS 29ers could be worth so much. I hope that this GT last me a while, because I'm not sure I could afford to buy another SS 29er new!

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 pm

She's a beast! I'm not usually taken by modern bikes but that looks the business.

+1 to what trailgumby said.. single speeds will make you look like a superhero one minute and a complete twit a second later :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

mr626 wrote:tailgumby, I just read your review of the Spot Rocker 29er. A good read.

The price though :shock: I had no idea SS 29ers could be worth so much. I hope that this GT last me a while, because I'm not sure I could afford to buy another SS 29er new!
Boutique builder, small production runs... and aimed at early adopters.

There are a lot more good 29ers in the market now, so I'd expect competition would have made bikes of this quality a lot more affordable in 2013.

Looking to get a 29er this year. Short listed is the Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2 ... at $5.5k. :shock: Ouch! Will need to last me for awhile at that price!