Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Mike Ayling

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am

Mary is now a lot better and we rode to Williamstown on Sunday with the KBTC ride then along the Maribyrnong yesterday with our tandem riding friends from Canberra, Judy and Bob and their son, Stephan.
Bob is vision impaired and Judy is the captain. The path on the west bank is now closed at the Chinese Temple due to the construction of a rail bridge for the Regional Rail Link. We rode the hill at Essendon West with the hairpin bends and had the Rohloff down to Number one at one stage. What a girl! Our friends are staying at Parkville so after dropping them off we returned to Flinders Street Station via Swanston Street. The bike lane isn't bad until you encounter a parked vehicle as there is very little space between the vehicle and the tram tracks so if a tram is coming up the best thing is to stop until the tram passes. At St Paul's Cathedral Mary said she wanted a Macdonald's soft ice cream so I found a convenient bench while she went over the road. She subsequently returned with six cones which we managed to force down! Mind you they were melting fast as it was a warm day. Amazing what a day's cycling will do for a girl's appetite! Still at 30 cents each the six cost less than $2.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 am

I saw this on Feebay. I hope I haven't dashed anyones hopes of it slipping under the radar. A good price and open to offers...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1060834200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 am

For those interested in Thorns or looking for one, another one has popped up on eBay. This one has a Rohloff fitted.

The listing can be found here. Seller is asking $1,600 for it.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 pm

For those in northern NSW who want a Nomad perhaps its worth checking out:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolanga ... 1012927354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not mine, just one I saw whilst looking at gumtree.

"Thorn nomad touring bike.rohloff hub 14gears.black frame.
Sondelux dyno hub,lights. Rigida rim. Thud buster seat post
2years old approx 1000k Exxon .good tyres.cromemolly frame
Front and rear racks mudguards. Good tyres"

$2,250.00 Negotiable
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 pm

rifraf wrote:For those in northern NSW who want a Nomad perhaps its worth checking out:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolanga ... 1012927354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not mine, just one I saw whilst looking at gumtree.

"Thorn nomad touring bike.rohloff hub 14gears.black frame.
Sondelux dyno hub,lights. Rigida rim. Thud buster seat post
2years old approx 1000k Exxon .good tyres.cromemolly frame
Front and rear racks mudguards. Good tyres"

$2,250.00 Negotiable
Still sitting there quietly on Gumtree :shock:
Has anyone been to look at it :?:
Its not like theres a Thorn Nomad up for grabs every week and you would be pushed to build much for the money (IMHO).
If I wasnt over in WA this would definitely been on my consideration list to go for a squiz
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

paulmoir

Postby paulmoir » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Just to let you guys know, Australian Rohloff prices have dropped nearly $300 retail for their Speedhubs (and parts have dropped as well). Pricing is now comparable with international pricing and there is now no longer any advantage to buy online. Cheers Paul.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 am

There is a Thorn Nomad apparently for sale in the Market Place.

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm

lets bump this up a little with some questions :P

just returned from another tour, the bike has covered about 22.000kms and towards the end i noticed the cranks dont turn as smoothly as they would normally so just took the ebb/cranks apart and it seems that:
overtime i changed a few chains/adjusted each a few times etc reusing the same holes in the ebb to tighten it
seems that the holes become deeper and deeper every time i re-use them and now at one point the holes actually push the ebb to the inside a bit causing small drag on the bb itself
tried taking the bb out of the ebb but because the ebb is slightly pushed to the inside the bb (phill wood) doesnt want to come out, may need to force it with a pipe or something!

question, thinking once i get the bb out i could then swap the position of the ebb so right side would now be on the left side of the bike, that way i would have new fresh points to use on the ebb for the screws to tighten it?

One more thing, i want to lower the gearing a bit, been using 42x16 but after last trip i want to go lower, considering either 36 or 34 with a 16T sprocket but dont want to go too low.

Suggestions?
hope it makes sense :)

Pawel

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 pm

paulmoir wrote:Just to let you guys know, Australian Rohloff prices have dropped nearly $300 retail for their Speedhubs (and parts have dropped as well). Pricing is now comparable with international pricing and there is now no longer any advantage to buy online. Cheers Paul.
About bloody time too! Their local distributor has been gouging all Australian buyers, and has copped the result of this. I have little pity for them.

Looking at the St Kilda Cycles website the local price is still higher, but it has come down a lot. About $100 difference in it, plus you have to get to St Kilda Cycles, whereas the OS price includes shipping to my door.
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 pm

polishbiker wrote:overtime i changed a few chains/adjusted each a few times etc reusing the same holes in the ebb to tighten it
seems that the holes become deeper and deeper every time i re-use them and now at one point the holes actually push the ebb to the inside a bit causing small drag on the bb itself
tried taking the bb out of the ebb but because the ebb is slightly pushed to the inside the bb (phill wood) doesnt want to come out, may need to force it with a pipe or something!
Have you had the EBB insert the right way ie. with the BB above the centre, not below? If it's below centre the locking bolts can cause damage to the EBB insert, due to the thinner metal.

Correct way
polishbiker wrote:question, thinking once i get the bb out i could then swap the position of the ebb so right side would now be on the left side of the bike, that way i would have new fresh points to use on the ebb for the screws to tighten it?
Switching the EBB around may be a fix, giving different bolt divots positons.
polishbiker wrote:One more thing, i want to lower the gearing a bit, been using 42x16 but after last trip i want to go lower, considering either 36 or 34 with a 16T sprocket but dont want to go too low.
I bought a 17t sprocket. Apparently this gives reduced chain wear and 42-17 is almost exactly the same gear as 40-16.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:34 am

ah, never really thought about it but seems i got used to using the EBB wrong way from the very start as the spot where the chain is adjusted for the last time makes the thinner part of the EBB to be on the bottom rather than the top so now i need to spin it the other way around instead, thanks il padrone! such a small thing but made a big difference now.
will try tomorrow and see what the deal is :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:18 pm

riiight, so i been doing it wrong since day 1 for 2 years now ha ha, thanks fore pointing it out il padrone! just twisted the ebb the other way around and DOH, works like new ha ha

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:15 pm

also, thinking of getting Surly Stainless Steel Chainring 5-Arm 110mm instead of thorn, just to give it a go, comes in 36T also:
http://www.bike24.com/p262201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone tried it?