Suggested route from Cheltenham to Macquarie Park

AndrewBurns

Suggested route from Cheltenham to Macquarie Park

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey guys as the title says, could you suggest a route from the corner of Cheltenham and Beecroft roads to Waterloo rd in Macquarie park?

I'm a strong rider so I don't mind traffic but I'd be commuting so I'd rather a nice ride even if it were a little circuitous (currently commuting 24km each way by bike so it's not going to be a big ride for me no matter what the route).

Suggestions for pleasant detours around the area when it's a nice day and I want a few more km would be appreciated too :D

queequeg

Re: Suggested route from Cheltenham to Macquarie Park

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:10 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Hey guys as the title says, could you suggest a route from the corner of Cheltenham and Beecroft roads to Waterloo rd in Macquarie park?

I'm a strong rider so I don't mind traffic but I'd be commuting so I'd rather a nice ride even if it were a little circuitous (currently commuting 24km each way by bike so it's not going to be a big ride for me no matter what the route).

Suggestions for pleasant detours around the area when it's a nice day and I want a few more km would be appreciated too :D
Well, Option 1:-
Ride down Beecroft Rd in the left lane, and after you cross the M2 and the Off-ramp, exit left into the old bus tunnel and ride under the railway. After you come off the path, take the first left up Chester St, at the Roundabout take the exit that veers slightly to the right (Essex St), left into Pembroke St and continue to Epping Rd, cross over at lights and follow Pembroke St all the way to Vimiera Rd in Marsfield. You can then either head down Vimiera Rd towards Waterloo Rd (wrong end for you I suspect), then ride down Waterloo/Culloden/Talavera Rd to get to the other side of Waterloo Rd.

Alternatively, follow the official M2 detour route, and when you get half way down Kent Rd, exit left onto the Shrimptons Creek SUP. This will take you directly to Waterloo Rd opposite the express ramp entrance to Macquarie Centre.

Option 2:
Starting at Beecroft Rd/Cheltenham Rd, ride down Cheltenham Rd and turn right into Sutherland Rd. Follow Sutherland to the end, go under the M2, ride up Derby St, right into Oxford and left into Essex, then follow the same route as before.

Here is one of my commutes using the Sutherland Rd route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/16250549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Word of warning, when it rains, the tunnel under the M2 floods:

There are other routes to make it longer. You could easily add in a loop of lane cove national park or a climb up to Turramurra (via Browns Waterhole). In wet weather you'll need to come via the M2 detour to get over the flooded creek. I went that way for the first time on Thursday, and Boognoss goes this way too. Basically, from the bus tunnel under the railway, cross over to Kandy Ave, up to Ray Rd, right into Kent St and to the end and over the M2. Follow Castle Howard Rd to the end, right into Boronia St, left into Cheltenham Rd and back to the start. You could of course also go this way in reverse to commute in.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks a lot Queequeg, gave me a bit to think about there. I think I'll take my bike up there one afternoon and go for a bit of a ride around to learn the various routes when I don't have any time pressure.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Ok it's been a while but I'm settled and the weather has been kind enough that I'm going to attempt option number 2 tomorrow. I've google street-viewed the whole route and to be frank it looks downright pleasant compared to my previous commute in terms of traffic and roads, a few nice long downhills I should be able to maintain some speed on too. Wish me luck, if I get lost at least I have a GPS enabled smart-phone now.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Ok it's been a while but I'm settled and the weather has been kind enough that I'm going to attempt option number 2 tomorrow. I've google street-viewed the whole route and to be frank it looks downright pleasant compared to my previous commute in terms of traffic and roads, a few nice long downhills I should be able to maintain some speed on too. Wish me luck, if I get lost at least I have a GPS enabled smart-phone now.
The tunnel is still pretty clean despite the recent rain, but it is a nice and quiet ride. Since you are starting at Cheltenham Rd, you avoid most of the hills.
What time do you do your commute? I usually go through Cheltenham around 5:45am.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Well I was thinking of leaving around 6:30, that would get me to work by around 7am and I could do the whole ride in sunlight which would be nice. Maybe when I've done it a few times and I'm feeling game I'll wake up a bit earlier :P

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am

Rode in without getting lost today, ride was good but too short and I can definitely see the tunnel under the M2 flooding with even minor rain. Forgot my glasses so my eyes were streaming with water down the descents :P

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Rode in without getting lost today, ride was good but too short and I can definitely see the tunnel under the M2 flooding with even minor rain. Forgot my glasses so my eyes were streaming with water down the descents :P
Did you ride in via Shrimptons Creek SUP?
The M2 tunnel floods very easily, and you'll learn very quickly when to not even bother trying.
The alternate route is not too bad though, which is via Kent St M2 overpass to Castle Howard Rd. I think you can access the end of Cheltenham Rd directly when you come off the bridge, via some stairs. You can also do the loop up to Boronia Rd and back along to Cheltenham Rd.
If you want to extend your ride I can definitely recommend a loop of LCNP to add around 9 to 10km. No traffic and very quiet roads. Access via the path under De Burghs bridge (Lane Cove Rd). A couple of options to exit the park. I sometimes do a full loop, and on the second loop I exit out via the Caravan Park onto Plassey Rd and turn right onto Delhi Rd and the Epping Rd SUP.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah I rode the SUP from Kent road through to Epping road and then along Lyons park road to Waterloo which is how my old route finished up. Got a little confused on the way home but quickly sorted myself out. Even though the distance is shorter there's a lot more climbing on this route compared to my old one. The old 24 km each way commute had the same amount of climbing as this one (about 200m) but this one is only 9km, there are basically no long flat sections, just up and down all the time.

Is it hard to cross Beecroft road in the morning to get to the bus tunnel if you go the Kent st method? I was thinking I could get onto Kent st from the M2 overpass, ride it down to Epping shops, cross Beecroft road at the station overpass and then get onto Pembroke and continue as normal.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Yeah I rode the SUP from Kent road through to Epping road and then along Lyons park road to Waterloo which is how my old route finished up. Got a little confused on the way home but quickly sorted myself out. Even though the distance is shorter there's a lot more climbing on this route compared to my old one. The old 24 km each way commute had the same amount of climbing as this one (about 200m) but this one is only 9km, there are basically no long flat sections, just up and down all the time.

Is it hard to cross Beecroft road in the morning to get to the bus tunnel if you go the Kent st method? I was thinking I could get onto Kent st from the M2 overpass, ride it down to Epping shops, cross Beecroft road at the station overpass and then get onto Pembroke and continue as normal.
It depends on the time of day you trying to cross over. Worst case is you ride up to the crossing near the M2 exit lights and ride back down the other side. Beecroft Rd itself is fine heading into the city too. I manage around 45 to 55km/h on my commuter bike heading down from Beecroft all the way to the bus tunnel.
Another alternative for you is that when you come off Kent St, don't go down Kandy Ave, but continue along Ray Rd. This will cross over Carlingford Rd and take you up Rawson St. If you wanted to make your commute longer you could actually ride to Eastwood station via the back streets and then down Vimiera Rd, then follow the usual detour up Pembroke Rd.

As for the climbing, you'll get used to it. Try going all the way to Dural from Nth Sydney :-)

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Here's an alternative for you that adds a few kms, basically expanding on queenqueg's suggestion. Basically go through Eastwood via Midson Rd. From Cheltenham Rd. cross over Beecroft Rd and keep going down the hill towards the motorway, there's a pedestrian/cycle bridge over the motorway that joins up with Kent St on the other side, climb up Kent St to Ray Rd. Here you can turn left and go down to meet up with the other route via Kandy Ave or turn right and join up with Midson Rd.

Follow Midson Rd. towards Eastwood, I usually turn left on to Eastwood Ave down into Eastwood. Cross the railway in Eastwood and you have a few options.

Turn left after the railway bridge and go over to Vimera Rd., around the back of Macquarie Uni. or turn right on East Parade, then Second Avenue, left on Rydale, right on Denistone up past the Hospital. At the top where the road turns to the left, cross over and take the bike path to join up with Terry Rd. From here you can follow Kings Rd and then Lovell Rd to join up with the Shrimptons Creek track (there's another way that's a bit quieter via Pennant Ave but it's a bit hard to describe).

I've been riding variations on this for a few years from Eastwood, Epping and these days Telopea. It's a nice commute, fairly quiet and just enough climbing to make it interesting.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 pm

if a bit of trail riding is an option, how about Sutherland rd, days road, along the fire trails to browns waterhole and up out of the park not far from Macquarie uni?

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Oh and btw I tried the Boronia to Castle Howard route this morning, Google maps cycling seemed to indicate there was a path I could get through but it turned out to be a walking path through the bush, MTB singletrack at best. I still attempted to ride through it on the road bike but I'd probably have a better chance on the CX commuter. I'll just go the other way around next time though, it's longer but I need the km's anyway.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Oh and btw I tried the Boronia to Castle Howard route this morning, Google maps cycling seemed to indicate there was a path I could get through but it turned out to be a walking path through the bush, MTB singletrack at best.
Is this the one at the SE end of Castle Howard? I've never tried it --- use the 10m of path and half a dozen steps up to Cheltenham Rd directly opposite the M2 flyover.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 am

Yeah it's the path on the SE part of Castle howard. If you're going north across the M2 overpass instead of going straight up the ramp and stairs ahead you turn right and ride down castle howard. I Thought I could join onto Boronia that way and avoid the stairs but turns out I can't on my road bike. Alternatively I can turn left and go the long way around if I want to avoid the stairs (that concrete ramp is fine for my SPD shoes but I think I'd struggle to stay upright in my SPD-SL shoes, even in the dry).

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 pm

I am in Beecroft and tempted to do the same ride (I'm at Macquarie Uni). I actually shot a video of the journey from Beecroft through Cheltenham, which also shows the M2 tour and it's condition after a heavy storm! If you're on a road bike, go slow - soil, slick mud and tonnes of gravel and rocks everywhere.

Start: The Crescent (next to Beecroft Road Tennis Courts)
cycle to Cheltenham Railway Station, cross over the rail way bridge and go right on to Surtherland Rd (Cheltenham)
follow the road to the end and you reach Epping.

From here I would be going down Pembroke, cross over at Epping and there is a cycle track at the end which takes you through to Vimera Rd. From there it's easy to pick which route needed

[shareyoutube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLObZCwN ... ata_player[/shareyoutube]

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:I am in Beecroft and tempted to do the same ride (I'm at Macquarie Uni). I actually shot a video of the journey from Beecroft through Cheltenham, which also shows the M2 tour and it's condition after a heavy storm! If you're on a road bike, go slow - soil, slick mud and tonnes of gravel and rocks everywhere.

Start: The Crescent (next to Beecroft Road Tennis Courts)
cycle to Cheltenham Railway Station, cross over the rail way bridge and go right on to Surtherland Rd (Cheltenham)
follow the road to the end and you reach Epping.

From here I would be going down Pembroke, cross over at Epping and there is a cycle track at the end which takes you through to Vimera Rd. From there it's easy to pick which route needed

[shareyoutube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLObZCwN ... ata_player[/shareyoutube]
Ride up on the path in
the tunnel instead of the road/drain. All the rocks get swept into the ditch. They do come along and dredge/pressure wash the tunnel every few months, but it is not predictable, Usually it rains the day after they clean it!

Here is what it looked like after some heavy rain:-

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

I've given up going under the M2 from Sutherland rd. Instead I go over the overpass from castle howard road, down Ray road, Kandy ave and then under the train line near Epping.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:I've given up going under the M2 from Sutherland rd. Instead I go over the overpass from castle howard road, down Ray road, Kandy ave and then under the train line near Epping.
I have only had to detour twice this year due to rain. It is the most direct route for me (excluding Beecroft rd itself), and there is almost zero traffic in both directions.
Getting to Castle Howard Rd city bound for me involves coming up Hannah St, going up past the station and through the park to the tennis courts, then crossing over Beecroft Rd into Kirkham Rd.
Waiting to make the RH turn off Beecroft Rd at 5:45am is just asking for someone to rear end you!

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 am

Here is the video properly embedded.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Inbound, I don't bother with either side route.. Its 40-50km/h down Beecroft Rd all the way.

Outbound, I still use the underpass and Sutherland unless wet, then its Ray/Kandy/footbridge.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:12 pm

duncanm wrote:Inbound, I don't bother with either side route.. Its 40-50km/h down Beecroft Rd all the way.

Outbound, I still use the underpass and Sutherland unless wet, then its Ray/Kandy/footbridge.
I still use Beecroft Rd now and then if I feel like a sprint session. I have done 60km/h along there (with panniers!), but I am a sicko and prefer the hills on Sutherland Rd :-)