Most disliked athletes...

RonK

Most disliked athletes...

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am

In a news report last night the comment was made that Tiger Woods is the second most disliked athlete after Lance Armstrong. Kinda a surprised me that it would rate a mention on the news.

But it seems Forbes magazine recently published the 2013 list of America's Most Disliked Athletes, based on the latest public surveys from Nielsen Sports and market research firm E-Poll.

I'd always thought that Woods and Armstrong in particular would have had a rusted-on fan base.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

high_tea

Re: Most disliked athletes...

Postby high_tea » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am

I expect they do. The way I look at it, their public disgrace brought them to the attention of a whole new demographic, as someone who Done Wrong. I think it gained them haters, rather than lost them fans...

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

I'm sure Anthony Mundine would trump both Armstrong and Woods if he was more widely known outside Australia....

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Mundine would trump anyone in any list starting with the words "most disliked" :-)
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Meaningless surveys are dime a dozen. Great for a media stir and that's all. Waste of time to even think about them. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

What else would they be for?
Media sensationalism is there to sell something or create a stir..

michaelkn

Postby michaelkn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Interesting... A polite and generally quite guy cheated on his wife and gets almost the same hate as a loud mouthed (ok abit harsh but this was later in his denial years) guy that cheated on his competitors and fans. I don't get it? What I don't get is why people felt 'betrayed' by Tiger's infidelity?

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Tiger is certainly not disliked on tour by the other players. If it weren't for the attention he brings to the game they'd be earning a fraction of what they do now. Pre-96/pre-Tiger the prize money for winning a Major wasn't as much as a top ten finish these days. And he's certainly not disliked by true golf fans. What he can do on a course is just unbelievable. Arguably the best ever, if not one of 2.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

sogood wrote:Meaningless surveys are dime a dozen. Great for a media stir and that's all. Waste of time to even think about them. ;)
But are they meaningless? These polls are done but reputable pollsters - do they influence the advertising/media value of these athletes?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm

RonK wrote:But are they meaningless? These polls are done but reputable pollsters - do they influence the advertising/media value of these athletes?
Reputable pollsters still need to earn an income from some sideline activities, who can blame them when there's a receptive audience out there feeding on these? ;)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm

MarkG wrote:Mundine would trump anyone in any list starting with the words "most disliked" :-)
In real life he would be near the top of my most liked list :lol: .

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 pm

I have cracked the code/

Sogood= Rupert Guinness.

Toolonglegs are you saying you have met Anthony Mundine and you think he is a top bloke? Oh sorry in real life he is a top bloke.

It all makes sense now.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah I have spent a few days with him over the years... at various gym's and out at as his family area ( somewhere out in the bush near Grafton IIRC ), he was very friendly and open, welcomed us into his family home, very relaxed when it should have been a stressful time for him in the lead up to his first Green fight. He was quiet an reserved ... nothing like his media image. But his media bad boy image works for him... hate him or love, at least you know him.
Now Green on the other hand ... his media image is pretty much the same as in real life :lol: ... still a top bloke too ... I played in both camps :mrgreen: .

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 pm

If you knew what I knew about DG tll...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:21 pm

:lol: I have no doubt there is some ghosts in that closet!.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh yeah.. More than Graham Kennedy!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Cmon mate don't treat me like an idiot. Everyone knows most of Anthonys public persona is fake and that is the point. That is why I and others who follow boxing don't like him, its not all the rubbish he comes up with[usually laden with racism] its the fact its all mostly an act.

That makes it worse in my opinion. Its pathetic, I guess he feels safe playing the bad guy.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Baldy wrote:That makes it worse in my opinion. Its pathetic, I guess he feels safe playing the bad guy.
But isn't that exactly what they ALL do? All that macho posturing at the weigh-in - it's great theatre if you like that sort of stuff (I don't). Makes me laugh :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Baldy wrote:Cmon mate don't treat me like an idiot. Everyone knows most of Anthonys public persona is fake and that is the point. That is why I and others who follow boxing don't like him, its not all the rubbish he comes up with[usually laden with racism] its the fact its all mostly an act.

That makes it worse in my opinion. Its pathetic, I guess he feels safe playing the bad guy.
I am not treating you like anything... I don't even know you nor will I ever I expect.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Baldy wrote:That makes it worse in my opinion. Its pathetic, I guess he feels safe playing the bad guy.
But isn't that exactly what they ALL do? All that macho posturing at the weigh-in - it's great theatre if you like that sort of stuff (I don't). Makes me laugh :lol:
Sports people, actors, politicians ... it's all theatrics when it comes to the media. People like people until they don't... doesn't usually go the other way though, but sometimes it does.

Baldy, is how people perceive you here and how you are in real life the same :mrgreen: ... it's not a question because you cant answer it :P .

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm

It's a sick sport when a man enjoys getting punched around the ring :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Tiger is certainly not disliked on tour by the other players. If it weren't for the attention he brings to the game they'd be earning a fraction of what they do now. Pre-96/pre-Tiger the prize money for winning a Major wasn't as much as a top ten finish these days. And he's certainly not disliked by true golf fans. What he can do on a course is just unbelievable. Arguably the best ever, if not one of 2.
I'm a true golf fan and I dislike him. :D

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 pm

You are right of course, I can't know what people think about me so I don't spend any time worrying about it. But its not really a fair comparison, well you would have to ask the people who know me in person I guess. But you are saying Mundine has two persona's. I have one, I'm not smart enough to have two :wink:

Gumby, yep the ones you might see on the ten news. The real champs of the sport? No not at all.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:19 pm

Baldy wrote:I have cracked the code/
You have? :mrgreen:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Hmmmm, I was thinking that this would be only a mildly contentious thread, given Armstrong's apparent loss of support. Does this Mundine ride a bike? Was he on US Postal? Is he any good, or does he use peds too? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: