Recumbent Trike Purchase for Training and Bupa 2013

adrian_d

Recumbent Trike Purchase for Training and Bupa 2013

Postby adrian_d » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 am

Hey all,
Its a new year and I have new plans. I got off to a good start last year cycling but some financial issues I ended up selling my road bike.

I want to save up for a Recumbent Trike, but i'm rather particular with the design. I like the functionality of the Greenspeeds, but I really like a larger rear wheel on the back.

What would my chances be like to find a Recumbent Trike for around $800-$1000?

I'm planning to attend the Bupa Around the Bay 2013 this year on a recumbent trike :)
Thanks again.
Adrian
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

TrikeTragic

Re: Recumbent Trike Purchase for Training and Bupa 2013

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:41 am

Hi Adrian:

If your budget tops out at $1000, you're in the second hand market. e-bay, Gumtree or Trading Post - go for it.

New trikes start around the $1,500 - 1,600 mark - see Flying Furniture website for example.

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am

Hey Mate,
Thanks for that. I had a look on flying furniture and i've found my dream ride :)

I've moved my budget upto $1500

Not only does the aesthetics appeal to me, but there is more than enough features to keep me going.

I am much more keen on the shell seat than the mesh one. I like to feel like i'm being held in nicely.

In the videos i've been looking up of recumbent trikes and Velomobiles is that they are able to sustain a much higher average speed. On the videos one guy was doing 44km an hour in a mango velomobile. The velomobiles are around 30-40kg if i'm not mistaken?

I struggled to maintain 30-35km/h on my road bike, would the fact that they are sitting so low or is it more to do with the aerodynamics. I wonder if I would be able to still be able to maintain a higher speed than my road bike on a recumbent trike.

Heres my dream ride, i'm saving up for it for Bupa 2013 and Eastlink Connecteast event this year

The picture is in yellow but this one is only available in red.

Specifications:

frame Cr-Moly - RED frame (other colours to order)
fork steerering / Cr-Moly
saddle FRP w/headrest included
handlebar Cr-Mo
shifter 27 speed SRAM Gripshift or optional Dura-ace bar end shifter 27S
lever SRAM : Avid 5
FD R443 / shimano
RD Deore / Shimano
crank Truvativ : Elita 52/39/30 170mm integrated
freewheel SRAM : PG-950 11-34
chain YBN : 9S 320L
wheelset F:mono hub 32H R:A5017
tyre Kenda : K-193 20"x 1.25 100psi / 700c x 35c 100psi
pedal Standard flat pedal
brake SRAM : BB5
headset Speedmax : H

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

IMO two 'musts' not on your list:
Clipless pedals and shoes or straps are a 'must have' for rider safety on a trike. You do not want your leg to go under the cross bar. :( :cry: :shock:
Ride before you buy.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

bradwoodbr wrote:IMO two 'musts' not on your list:
Clipless pedals and shoes or straps are a 'must have' for rider safety on a trike. You do not want your leg to go under the cross bar. :( :cry: :shock:
Ride before you buy.
Oh definitely a great requirement. I will be sure to use cleat shoes. What would happen if my leg went under the cross bar?

Riding before buying may be a bit tricky since the Recumbent i'm looking at atm is in Sydney. Any way to do my ride any other way based in Melbourne?

Xenon

Postby Xenon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 pm

adrian_d wrote:In the videos i've been looking up of recumbent trikes and Velomobiles is that they are able to sustain a much higher average speed. On the videos one guy was doing 44km an hour in a mango velomobile. The velomobiles are around 30-40kg if i'm not mistaken?

I struggled to maintain 30-35km/h on my road bike, would the fact that they are sitting so low or is it more to do with the aerodynamics. I wonder if I would be able to still be able to maintain a higher speed than my road bike on a recumbent trike.
From what I've found on my commute, I seem to be able to catch most casual cyclists while coasting down hills. Not sure if it's an aero thing or just the extra weight coming into effect. If a rider is even a little serious on a road bike, I can't keep up (on the other hand, I'm sure I'm having more fun).

My trike is a Stowaway which is probably a little less aero than some.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't think a trike will be as fast as a two wheel bent . One with a tailbox and nose fairing may be. Amongst other things, that extra wheel means more rolling resistance. How much difference that makes I'm not sure.
Where you will miss out is on the hills. You will most certainly be slower uphill because of the weight penalty. You will be faster downhill though.
The big win is comfort. You will be able to ride for much longer and probably sustain effort better.
One thing too. You need to get that trike well ahead of the event as it will take you some time, months perhaps, to build up those bent legs. You will be using different muscle groups and it takes time to acclimatise.
The trike in that shot looks nice. If you've not tried a trike try to find someone in your area to let you try. Perhaps someone at Trisled or Greenspeed might oblige.

John

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm

+1 to John's comments...

My ICE Vortex averages 30 kph around the mostly flat Geelong region... On the flat you can be faster than DFs but usually similar pace for nice low Heart rate.... Add a headwind and the trike then wins over a DF....

On descents the Vortex is quite a lot faster.....

On climbs I am 4-5 kph slower on my Vortex compared to my Roubaix DF....

You will need at least 3 months to develop your legs !!

My 2 wheeled Musashi is about 3 kph faster than my Vortex on similar routes at similar heart rates...

Velomobiles are different again !! I was taking things easy on RTB 2012 in my Mango and still averaged 30 kph over the full 250km route... I had never ridden so far in on day and in a 30 kg Velomobile......

You should check out OzHPV website as there are often used bikes for sale there and they do a monthly try rides in St Kilda !!

If you are ever near Torquay drop in and come try my trike !!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice and offer Riggsbie.

I've definitely decided to get a Recumbent Trike. I can see myself using it a lot.
I'm really keen on the JC70 Recumbent due to the specs and it falls really well into my price range. I was a bit worried in hearing about the kicking out issue, but by the looks of things this would be easily managed with a different technique?

If I was to set myself 3-4 months to develop my legs, I should be heading out nearly every second day. Not to mention I could also ride to work every second day. The only thing is storing it (so no one will scratch it too :))

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

I have not experienced "kicking out" on my 2011 Vortex or on my 2006 GT5 trikes.....

Think a lot is down to technique and smoothness.....remember that recumbents like a high cadence, not stomping on the pedals at low cadence.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Riggsbie wrote:I have not experienced "kicking out" on my 2011 Vortex or on my 2006 GT5 trikes.....

Think a lot is down to technique and smoothness.....remember that recumbents like a high cadence, not stomping on the pedals at low cadence.....

YES.... it's all technique and smoothness.....exactly
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Thats awesome news. Well what can I say, i'm hugely excited to be saving up for a Recumbent Trike. I have a fund in my account at the moment which i've been putting some money into whenever I don't over spend on luxuries (so the money that would have otherwise gone to McDonalds lol) the money goes into that account.

We are still paying off one of the cars (and a few Credit Cards doh) and me and my gf are living off 1 and 1/3rd income so its hard to prove a $1500 recumbent trike (plus accessories) is a worthy purchase hahaha.

Its been great motivation knowing i'll have a new ride in 1-2 months. That first ride is going to feel awesome, I can't wait to try some downhill action to see what sort of speeds I can get gravity assisted lol

Whats the best thing about a Recumbent Trike when comparing to a DF?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:56 pm

The seat, where your eyes are located you can get some very nice views as your on 3 wheels and if path if straight you can really have a good look around.
Downhills
No more soreness from seat/wrists/back etc

But I do suggest you try a 3k trike and a 1.5k trike and you will find out the differences quite quickly.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote:The seat, where your eyes are located you can get some very nice views as your on 3 wheels and if path if straight you can really have a good look around.
Downhills
No more soreness from seat/wrists/back etc

But I do suggest you try a 3k trike and a 1.5k trike and you will find out the differences quite quickly.
Thats awesome thanks :)

My only issue is if I do try a 3k trike and then a 1.5k trike it may make me want a 3k one a lot more, unfortunately I would never be in a financial situation to put 3k towards a recumbent. The one for 1.5k just fits into my budget.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:51 pm

The 3k trikes are more money for many reasons......

From my research and experience I know the Performers are quite heavy compared to other recumbents......

A good friend has a Performer 2 wheeler and it is as heavy as my ICE Vortex FS trike....

Velorossi

Postby Velorossi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:17 pm

You'll get miles of smiles no matter which price point you start at Adrian, it's just so much more fun than a wedgie, let alone the benefits of total comfort and open airways to keep the engine fed. My Performer 2 wheeler is about as heavy as they come (as Riggsbie mentioned) : ) but still scoots along fantastic. Your concept of distances on a bike will change completely, 50k will feel like 10k in no time, next thing you know it's 200k and beyond. Good luck guy...Enjoy!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Yep, think of the Performers as training bikes !

If you can make a Performer fly then you will be a lot quicker on anything else !!!!

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 am

Can I also add, the pictured trike looks similar in overall design to one I was asked recently to fix as a training trike... that is lacking some pretty basic design principles IMO...

I'd check that:
- it has Ackerman steering (I was surprised to find many lower-end commercially made trikes don't)
- the return side of the chain doesn't cop a lot of drag from the sheath. I've only used idlers on my home-builds, so I'm not sure how much drag the sheath causes, but they seem like a bad idea to me...
- definitely test ride that hard-shell seat. A mesh seat can adjust for different sized riders somewhat, but if you're the wrong size (or back-shape, or whatever) for the shell, it'll get uncomfortable pretty quick, based on my experience with a hard shell seat that doesn't "fit" me.

But ultimately, you'll probably love what ever you get. I've not yet met an unhappy trike purchaser...

Dent.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I am the opposite with seats.....truly hated the mesh seat on my GT5 due to the lack of support and the 'falling out' on hard cornering.....love hard shell seats !

You are correct about getting the correct sized hard shell seat, ICE & Sinner have 2 sizes and there is a simple measurement to ensure you get the correct one !

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

So much information for me to look into. Thanks sooo much.

I've always been one for a hard shell seat, i'll definitely try and see if it can be measured out.

I'm in such an awesome mind set torwards it that i'd be happy with no matter what I get haha.

I'll be sure to buy a front cowling for when I do the bupa around the bay, the closer I feel to a velomobile (not that i Could ever afford one) the better.

One thing I dream of (please share if you are also the same) is heading out on a pouring rainy day down the Carrum Track all comfy in a Velomobile. I'll be nice and warm and dry.

The track will also be empty too.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi Adrian,

Any progress on your acquiring a recumbent ?

Last week I visited Trisled and they had a Catrike Expedition frame (i believe expeditions have big rear wheels and alu frames so probably lighter than a performer) hanging up.....Ben said they had the complete bike and had stripped it down so it would take less space....

Maybe you should give Ben or Tim a call at Trisled and see if they want to move it on at a reasonable price ? It had an interesting modification with a bolt through the boom, not sure why you would do that ? The previous owner was a plank I guess ?

Also take a look at their trikes, they are elegantly simple and excellent workmanship !

Paul

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Never mind the training or the buying Adrian, how is your beard coming along ? 6 months won't be enough time to have as luxurious a beard as the late great Sheldon Brown, but to go shaven will never do :mrgreen:

Anything you can do, I can do slower

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Don’t worry about growing a beard, one comes in the box. Because I went for the deluxe model I also received strap on belly padding that makes me look 20kg overweight!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey BNA,
Its been a while since my last message but since the weather has picked up I am much more keen to get out and about.

My aim is still to get a JC70 Recumbent Trike Shell Seat in red and I really want to get a SRAM S40 or S60 700c clincher wheel for the back of it though. I'm not after any benefits, but purely because i like the look of it :)

I've seen a few go up for sale but noticed some models come with a swing arm suspension and shock absorber on the rear. I'm more keen on having a fixed frame

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi adrian,
From your post it seems you don't have a trike yet so guess you won't be doing ATB this year.
Think it is on the 20th so only six days away. Well there is always next year.
I hope you manage to get the trike you want before too long.
As to the rear suspension. We have some nasty chip seal roads and it would be nice on those.
They tend to want to shake your eyes out if you are using high pressure tires like I have on my trike.
I don't know what the penalty is in terms of speed. Perhaps those with suspended trikes
can give you an idea.
Have you had a chance to try out some trikes yet?

John