Most disliked athletes...

toolonglegs

Re: Most disliked athletes...

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am

Most Armstrong supporters needed to be hit over the head with a huge hammer to finally see the truth... no surprise that when they finally did realize the rumours where fact that the love turned to hate.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 am

I don't dislike Tiger Woods, what he does in the bedroom and with whom is up to him. Has no bearing on his golf.

Lance Armstrong as we all know cheated by using PEDs while cycling over a number of years and denied it and lied about it and called other people liars who had tried to "out" him about it.

I've never met Anthony Mundine but I've heard other people say he is totally different away from the boxing ring and tv cameras. But still, even if this is true I still dislike him for his "acting".

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am

TimW wrote:It's a sick sport when a man enjoys getting punched around the ring :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
No boxer enjoys getting punched around the ring. The boxer's objective is to not get punched,
and the best boxers I've seen were very good at that. Mundine hasn't got within a bulls roar
of being one of them, unless you count boxing only easy-beats as meeting the objective.

If I wanted to see theatrics, I'd go to the theatre. Circus boxing, Mundine/Koder Nasser style,
is very very amateurish acting and doesn't rate as sport. He's a triumph of style over substance,
and nothing else.

And speaking of Koder Nasser, I'd like to nominate $onny Bill Williams - a man totally
devoid of any integrity - as an even more disliked athlete.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 am

Getting punched around the ring was my poor attempt at humour :D :oops: :oops:

michaelkn

Postby michaelkn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:09 pm

TimW wrote:It's a sick sport when a man enjoys getting punched around the ring :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Same thing can be said about a bunch of full grown blokes wearing next to nothing knickers grunting & puffing on silly contraptions to get from point A to point B. Don't me started with their bum sticking up high when going downhills!

For all that effort, the bloke still gets worldwide condemnation for pinching a _trophy_ girl's bum! Good grief!

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:51 pm

wombatK wrote:
No boxer enjoys getting punched around the ring. The boxer's objective is to not get punched,
and the best boxers I've seen were very good at that. Mundine hasn't got within a bulls roar
of being one of them, unless you count boxing only easy-beats as meeting the objective.

If I wanted to see theatrics, I'd go to the theatre. Circus boxing, Mundine/Koder Nasser style,
is very very amateurish acting and doesn't rate as sport. He's a triumph of style over substance,
and nothing else.

And speaking of Koder Nasser, I'd like to nominate $onny Bill Williams - a man totally
devoid of any integrity - as an even more disliked athlete.
Mundine is a pantomime villain. He provokes people, but he knows he won't be taken seriously. He is good for his sport though - who (other than you) would even have heard of Danny Green, if not for Anthony Mundine? Not me. With boxers it probably started with Muhammad Ali, anyone more coherent than a brick wall in a boxing ring is of interest, and Ali's ability to talk the talk and walk the walk changed the sport forever. Since Ali, many boxers seem to think they are Bill Hicks or Lenny Bruce. They aren't. Mundine isn't.

But pantomime villains are not confined to the "physical arts". Warnie used to be the same, every year he would talk about his "mystery ball". He got booed around the world, and we cyclists suspect he's a cashed up bogan tool, but his sport is much richer for his involvement in it. Jason Akermanis is another one - good player, but he talked even better than he played...

And Tiger, well, he was the first married golfer to ever engage in extracurricular strokeplay whilst on tour.... [sounds of crickets chirping]

Sonny Bill Williams - what did he do, walk out on the Bulldogs? Somehow... I'm not so upset about that...

But seriously, all these guys were on balance good for their sport.

Our Lance however, he is a special case. The special combination of arrogance and sense of entitlement, the money to afford very good legal support, the threats and outrageous defamation of anyone he thought was threatening his position, plus seven Tour wins, and absolute maintenance of the concrete wall of falsehoods till the very last point in time when it became impossible to maintain it.

Yes, they were all doing it. Yes, if not for Lance other riders probably on the juice would have won those 7 years. But the temple would probably have fallen earlier, and the credibility of cycling would not have been inextricably linked to the credibility of a single, very flawed, participant.

The only person who comes close in recent memory is Hansie Cronje. His actions called into question the results of many contests, large and small, over a number of years. His excuses were pathetic ("It must have been the devil". Que?) But at least he didn't engage in casual !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!-calling or (as far as I know) send the lawyers after those spreading rumours about him.

Dislike your Mundines, Akermanises, Warnies all you like. They are certainly loudmouth galoots, and people find some of the things they say and do offensive.

But save your hatred for those who did not offend against the eye or say offensive things and were not pathetic show-offs, but got into your living room, increased your enjoyment, even love, of the sport, broadened its appeal, and then destroyed it all, by being revealed as false champions.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 pm

If anyone cares to google armstrong of late the financials look like they may have some genuine pain in store for him.

Lance Armstrong sells his $10 million Texas home
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... -1.1313673

Lance Armstrong facing possible $150m hit after US Justice Department lodges formal complaint
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more- ... 6628429683

He has again been ruled out of the Masters Swimming barreel that he was hoping to scrape the botom of too:
Disappointed Armstrong Stopped From Com ... n Swimming
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Suarez for the win lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Redbull wrote:Suarez for the win lol.

13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Baldy wrote:That makes it worse in my opinion. Its pathetic, I guess he feels safe playing the bad guy.
But isn't that exactly what they ALL do? All that macho posturing at the weigh-in - it's great theatre if you like that sort of stuff (I don't). Makes me laugh :lol:
Sports people, actors, politicians ... it's all theatrics when it comes to the media. People like people until they don't... doesn't usually go the other way though, but sometimes it does.

Baldy, is how people perceive you here and how you are in real life the same :mrgreen: ... it's not a question because you cant answer it :P .
Go easy on him mate, not only is he bald, but he's from Tassie. Gotta feel sorry for him.
You have officially become your parents.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 pm

Redbull wrote:Suarez for the win lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd have thought he'd eaten before the game ...