Hazard in Osborne Park shared path

rambler1au

Hazard in Osborne Park shared path

Postby rambler1au » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Anyone know about the hazard on the shared path perthbound just before getting to the perth city council depot. Gordon street is on the right and its just after McDonald Street.

Seems a telstra manhole/cable hole is broken around the lid and there is also some dirt on the left of the path with a yellow telstra fence around it which nearly blocks off the path and directs traffic right over the broken cable hole. There was at one time a witches hat over the broken manhole but that has dissapeared.

The hazard has been there for weeks if not months and no one seems to be doing anything about it.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I've noticed several instances of damaged Telstra pits taking ages to be properly repaired.

We had one outside of work about a year ago - took a couple of months beyond the initial little yellow fence set up appearing.

Similarly had one near where I live more recently - partially blocking the footpath. I was curious after the previous incident to see how long this one took to dissapear - this was only a few weeks :(
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

PathPusher

Postby PathPusher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:32 pm

I needed a telephone cable from street to house replaced last year and it took 6 months to fix. Had the yellow cage on the footpath there for most of that time.

A similar cave-in in Beaufort St near the now defunct Red Rooster also took at least 3 months to fix in early 2007.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 pm

You Tube Video:
I want to ride my bicyle - Perth - Telstra Pit Hole

RolandP (new member) has requested via PM for this video to be posted.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 pm

I’ve compiled a short video on the Telstra pit-hole issue in Osborne Park. From my memory, it started in January 2008 when Telstra installed barriers around a faulty pit-hole. These barriers were taken down and put up again, several times. I raised a formal complaint with Telstra as I could not believe that the pit-hole was not being repaired, and the barriers where being removed.

The issue with the pit-hole was that it was rising at the front by several cm’s. Anyone who travelled over the top was at risk of injury due to the serious jolt that resulted.

Finally, early June 2008, work was undertaken on the pit hole. However, dirt from the work was piled to the left of the path, with a barrier around it, and the pit-hole to the right, with its own barrier. The distance left on the path was just enough to walk a bike through it, though several riders widened this gap soon after.

The barrier around the pit has since been removed, though the work has not been completed, and is now more dangerous then prior to the work.

The dirt remains with a barrier around it.

If you don’t believe this, check out the above link which I asked AUbicycles to post.

Please leave comments on the video as there are several issues with the northern section of the Perth Bicycle Network and would appreciate comments if these videos help to identify these types of issues.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 am

An idea would be to set up a wordpress blog and document the continuing development - in wording I wouldn't make it too unfriendly, in the end Telstra want to be seen as the friend of the people and solve the issue.

You could ask Telstra (seriously) if they would like you to send photos documenting the problems... or perhaps if the issue would get solved more quickly if it went through the ombudsman or the media. Don't forget to make a proper documentation of the names of the people you speak with and the times.
Cycling is in my BNA

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks to all for the work

This is the most dangerous hazard Ive seen mainly because its at the end of a relatively steep downhill stretch.

I just hope no one has been seriously hurt by this hazard.

If it was a road there would be lawyers and media everywhere.

Telstra really need a good swift kick up the rear for this.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:07 am

I’m dumb founded. Coming home tonight, Telstra has completed closed off the dual-use path in this area. Sometime during today, Telstra have pulled up this section of the footpath and relayed concrete which hopefully and finally corrects this hazard that has been on-going for the last 6 months.

Though this is good news that finally this issue can be put to bed, why aren’t safety regulations implemented during this work. For example, AusRoads publication Minimising Pedestrian-Cyclist Conflict on Paths indicates:
It is important to ensure that signs are located in prominent locations to give path users adequate notice of and clear directions to a safe and convenient alternative route.
Come on Telstra, get your act into gear and consider the safety of the public when undertaking this work.

Beware if you are travelling in this area, in particular when travelling South, your speed may prevent you avoiding this closure due to no warning signage implemented.[/quote]

PathPusher

Postby PathPusher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am

That lack of signage seems to be a problem here. If it was a road, there would be riots in the streets.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm

PathPusher wrote:That lack of signage seems to be a problem here. If it was a road, there would be riots in the streets.
It's all because we don't pay rego... :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:20 am

Barriers have been removed, and finally, Telstra's pit-hole is a smooth ride.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:12 am

Good work guys. A bit of pressure did the job.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

rolandp

Re: Hazard in Osborne Park shared path

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:28 am

It's back.
Reported via NeatStreets on 17 Feb 2012, and no action taken at this time.

rolandp

Re: Hazard in Osborne Park shared path

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Response back from main roads:
I have reported the cracked Telstra manhole to their fault line and the reference number is 143522657. The lady – Grace – I spoke with advised me that the work was scheduled for around 2pm tomorrow, so fingers crossed that will be rectified soon.