Heritage Bank Ipswich100

RobM

Re: Heritage Bank Ipswich100

Postby RobM » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 am

Best tip for 100km is to pace yourself and save your energy for the major climb then you can push after that if you wish.

Its better to finish with some in the tank, than not to finish at all because you went too hard too early. Theres always next year to better your time! :)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Rain or shine I will be there in the morning; preferably shine...

I will have a Google jersey on and will be on my dark grey and white Merida with blue tyres.

My mate and I will be at the back of the pack for the 100 mile group... Two "round" guys just holding a comfortable pace for us... :-)

Hope to see some of you there...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 pm

The bike is now freshly cleaned & relubed but i've also considered packing a snorkel considering the weather we've been having this week. I'll be doing this ride regardless of it bucketing down or sun shining. The purists may cringe but i'll have the rear mudguard on the bike, due to not being fond of the brown stripe up the back, as it clashes with the kit. If you see me in the lineup at 6.30, say hi - i'm the guy on the red/yellow/blue steel Paconi (you can't miss it) itching to get on with as i've been unable to ride being on holidays/stuck with the wet weather for a fortnight!

Gary
Last edited by Big_Red on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Have faith guys. The rain is blowing over tonight. Fine tomorrow, or so they say!

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Venus62 wrote:Have faith guys. The rain is blowing over tonight. Fine tomorrow, or so they say!
Looks like my prayers to the weather gods were not in vain, the ABC news weather giving a favourable report for tomorrow... Yippie!!!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow, enjoy, ride hard and stay safe!
Lisa

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm

What a gorgeous morning! Glad I was only doing the 50 though as it was getting a bit hot by the time hubby finished the 100 k. Hope everyone enjoyed their ride!

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Venus62 wrote:What a gorgeous morning! Glad I was only doing the 50 though as it was getting a bit hot by the time hubby finished the 100 k. Hope everyone enjoyed their ride!
Great to hear but we are going to need a ride report and photos I think :D

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 pm

What a gorgeous day it turned out to be! I managed to finish my first century ride in 4hrs 17min and averaged 23.8kph, which is only a smidgen short of the average (speed) i'm now getting for the work commute to town & back. I was feeling totally schickered at the 90km mark and i was starting to cramp, but i managed to grind through the whole thing without needing to stop and walk at any stage. I don't know if i had the only steel bike doing the 100km ride, but i did see some hardy souls on flat bar road bikes grinding it out. While i've lost 5kg riding sofar this year, i'm looking forward to doing more longer rides (60km+) in addition to the commuting to lose the other 20kg weight i need to drop and for training for next year to get a < 4hr time...

Got an "awesome bike" comment from a female rider at the 85km mark which threw me a little (coming from a field of riders on some rather expensive alloy & carbon bikes) and i was too knackered to reply, but thanks for the boost whoever it was, i was quite chuffed.
Last edited by Big_Red on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Pax wrote: Great to hear but we are going to need a ride report and photos I think :D
I rode with 3 other women and we cycled at the pace of the slowest rider (who happened to be nursing a hangover so good on her for riding!).
We finished the 50 in 1:54 with an average speed of 25.9 kph. It was my first organised ride so I was pretty pleased. :D

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

I am knackered...
170km done!!!
The hills just kept coming and coming...
Rob M caught me early on and we had a great chat!
My riding partner got bad cramps around the 90km mark, and ended up pulling out. We stuck together for a while to see if the cramps would pass; but they didn't...
After that I got back on it to see how I would go, and then the hills got serious...
Ouch!!!
Just sitting here with ice packs; adult beverages and Formula 1...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:39 pm

brett.hooker wrote:I am knackered...
170km done!!!
Well done! Impressive effort.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm

170km done!!!
My riding partner got bad cramps around the 90km mark, and ended up pulling out. We stuck together for a while to see if the cramps would pass; but they didn't...
What colour were you wearing? I might have passed you, then got passed, then passed you again...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:50 pm

170km done!!!
After that I got back on it to see how I would go, and then the hills got serious...
Ouch!!!
Just sitting here with ice packs; adult beverages and Formula 1...
Well done huge achievement there, it's a huge ride, all those hills and the extra 10k tacked on to the end....
Lisa

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm

London Boy wrote:
170km done!!!
What colour were you wearing? I might have passed you, then got passed, then passed you again...
White Google jersey. Black nicks.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:04 am

Was a super day, who would have thought the weather would be so good given the previous day.
Very well organised as usual and made for a nice change of scenery... and whoever on the website claimed that those 169km had only 770m of ascent is :twisted:. It was just a tad off
25mm tyres minimum next time!

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 am

What a great ride - I didnt exactly have a troublefree ride however.

It took a little longer getting to Ipswich than I planned and the extra traffic getting into the carpark meant I arrived at 5:55am. Then by the time i was changed and bike put together, it was 6:15 and the 169km bunch had long gone. Rather than give chase by myself, I tacked onto the 100km 'elite' bunch at the front.
Holy cowbell, those guys were zooming! I reckon we were pushing 40-45km/hr for the first hour until we hit the first rest-stop. I probably used up waaaaaaay too much energy keeping up with those guys but I didnt want to miss the cut off time. It was about here that I recognised Brett and let the crazy 100km group fly off. The rest of the ride was easy pace with me going ahead on the hills then regrouping with Brett & Pete every now and then.
I owe Brett a flat tyre :) - He asked about my Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres and I said how they've been a great training tyre with good puncture protection and speed. No less than 2km later I was on the side of the road changing the rear tyre due to a slow leak (pothole i think). Only my second puncture in 3500km. Thanks Brett and the puncture fairy :mrgreen:

And yes - 770m climbing was very very very underestimated haha. The dirty dozen had Brett and I cursing the road engineer who didnt pick a flatter easement.
All mishaps aside, I had a great day. Bit sunburnt and stiff today but will be back again next year.

Photos:

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 am

RobM wrote: And yes - 770m climbing was very very very underestimated haha.
I just had a look at the elevation on the website for the 50km route compared to what was recorded by my Garmin.
154 m gain compared to 328 m actual. Probably best I didn't know! Got to wonder how it happens though! :?

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Cheers Rob... Yes, I broke the first rule of 170km club... Don't mention the "p" word (puncture)... I felt guilty as hell seeing you on the side of the road not 2 km after I mentioned it... Doh!!!

Great company; especially on the "dirty dozen"... Those hills just kept coming...

... Off for a recovery ride now ...

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 am

Big_Red wrote:What a gorgeous day it turned out to be! I managed to finish my first century ride in 4hrs 17min and averaged 23.8kph, which is only a smidgen short of the average (speed) i'm now getting for the work commute to town & back. I was feeling totally schickered at the 90km mark and i was starting to cramp, but i managed to grind through the whole thing without needing to stop and walk at any stage. I don't know if i had the only steel bike doing the 100km ride, but i did see some hardy souls on flat bar road bikes grinding it out. While i've lost 5kg riding sofar this year, i'm looking forward to doing more longer rides (60km+) in addition to the commuting to lose the other 20kg weight i need to drop and for training for next year to get a < 4hr time...
Great effort mate - i was not there this year but sounds like it was a great day, although a tough day out in the hills.
Will look out for the Paconi in 2014 !

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 am

Was a great day. Us Crouching Tigers were all over the shop with times ranging from 3hrs05mins to nearly 4hrs. Bunch I was in did it in 3hrs18mins so just a tad over 30kph. Wonderful BBQ afterwards which really topped the day off.

Now onto the Noosa 160 and then the Battle of the Borders (Gran) Fondo the week after. No rest just yet :)

Dave

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 am

I lost my 100km virginity on this ride! And had an absolute blast doing it. The weather was perfect and having minimal wind was a pleasant change from the Toowoomba/Highfields area. I set myself a goal of averaging 30kph for the 100km. By the "halfway" rest point I was averaging around 32kph, felt pretty good, passed heaps of riders up the hill. After a couple of gels, drink and stretch I continued on with a fellow club member and some of his workmates, all of which I managed to drop after the first 2 hills. So I continued for the last 40 odd km by myself, determined to keep the average as high as I could. I got lucky with the lights at Yamanto, didn't have to unclip for any of them. Finished with a riding time of 3:05:05, total elapsed time of 3:23:55, average speed 32.5kph, absolutely wrapped with myself and felt pretty good physically too! Not bad for someone who only started 6 or so months ago.
Definitely doing it again next year, I might even have a go at the 100 mile ride...
My ride: http://app.strava.com/activities/48683610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Big_Red wrote:What a gorgeous day it turned out to be!
Didn't it just. :D
Mind it also got a wee bit on the warm side later in morning, but better that than the rain that we had Saturday.
Big_Red wrote:I managed to finish my first century ride in 4hrs 17min and averaged 23.8kph, which is only a smidgen short of the average (speed) i'm now getting for the work commute to town & back.
That's not bad going over that territory. It's not like the Gold Coast run, which is basically flat(ish).
Big_Red wrote:[...] and for training for next year to get a < 4hr time...
Don't aim for a sub-4 100, aim for a 170 at any pace.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Considering that my longest ride prior to losing my century virginity on the Ipswich100 was 55km, i didn't think i did too shabby.
Didn't bonk and i only stopped at the 3 official rest stops. The 100 mile is way beyond my capabilities at present, but the Gold
Coast run looks appealing given that it is *much* flatter. Realistically i'm aiming for 20kg more weight loss (was 125kg in 2010,
currently 111kg) then i'll reward myself next year with a new bike from the savings i've made by not using public transport to
get into the city for work.