Cost to build a SS

bradz

Cost to build a SS

Postby bradz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi everyone

I recently picked up a very nice Nervex frame from a fellow member and have been collecting (or trying) to collect parts to complete the build. The parts that I am chasing are wheels, crankset and saddle.

Is it just me or is the price of building up a half decent ride very close if not more expensive than an off the self bike? Now, I am not talking about the ones you build online, but some of the more reputable brands. Does it become false economy or is it more about getting a custom job.

In the meantime I have picked up a Felt Brougham to keep me going. Starting to think that I should strip that down to rebuild the other bike.

What do you guys reckon? Should I just offload frame and buy a "ready to go" bike.

Cheers
Brad

HappyHumber

Re: Cost to build a SS

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Depends what you're looking for in the experience. If you just want to ride, go the off-the-peg solution.

I like tweaking, fiddling & building - not because I'm especially spendthrift. If you bide your time collecting/swapping parts it can be cheaper but if it's your sole bike it might be a while before its rideable ;)

Don't be so concerned about cost unless you have to be. Hobbies are never rational from a fiscal point of view. :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Depends what you're looking for in the experience. If you just want to ride, go the off-the-peg solution.

I like tweaking, fiddling & building - not because I'm especially spendthrift. If you bide your time collecting/swapping parts it can be cheaper but if it's your sole bike it might be a while before its rideable ;)

Don't be so concerned about cost unless you have to be. Hobbies are never rational from a fiscal point of view. :D
Exactly this.

I enjoy the building process, buying things, selling things, as much as I love riding itself.

I have had quite the collection of parts from all over the world starting out at bottom of the barrel crap, right up to top of the line Dura Ace/Campag.

You soon see what works, and if you enjoy it, you don't mind lashing out the money on the quality stuff.

If you have a nice frame, and want to ride it, then it is definitely worth building it up. No doubt about it.

And if you all you need is wheels / cranks / saddle, as stated in your original wanted thread, I can help you out with wheels / cranks that are brand new, and I can throw in a saddle for free (won't be flash, but it's free). PM me if you are still interested.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm

bradz wrote:In the meantime I have picked up a Felt Brougham to keep me going. Starting to think that I should strip that down to rebuild the other bike.
That too, is an option. But will you have anything to ride in the meantime? There will however be at least one or two bits that won't sit well between the frames or with you.... :D

"N+1" Quoth the Raven.
--

takai

Postby takai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Depends on what you have lying around too, im building up a SS/fixie commuter with the bits i have lying around the garage, total cost will be $82 in extra parts....

bradz

Postby bradz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 pm

I managed to pick up a donor bike on the weekend. the parts I am scavenging off the bike will more than cover the total cost of the bike.
I'll flog off the bits I don't need.

Lozkat

Postby Lozkat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm

There's a shop on Brunswick street In Fitzroy near the Black Cat that does custom built fixies and they also sell all kinds of fancy coloured new parts. (My friend is always going in to build his fixie) I'm pretty sure they're called Just ride it or something similar. Check them out. They also had ready made ones for sale as well as parts and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! hanging around for people to mix and match and make one.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am

Lozkat wrote:There's a shop on Brunswick street In Fitzroy near the Black Cat that does custom built fixies and they also sell all kinds of fancy coloured new parts. (My friend is always going in to build his fixie) I'm pretty sure they're called Just ride it or something similar. Check them out. They also had ready made ones for sale as well as parts and showtime hanging around for people to mix and match and make one.
yeah, if you want your bike to look ridiculous and have the handlebars fitted upside down.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:03 pm

HLC wrote:Image
There should be laws against this.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

For the love of God; it's those rims again....

Last edited by HappyHumber on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 pm

HappyHumber wrote:For the love of God; it's those rims again....
They will "give people whip last as you ride past them", apparently...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm

HLC wrote:Image
Please tell me the rear brake is meant to be like that and that the pads face the right way... :o
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I'd be surprised if there was even a cable inner.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Photos of Teny wheels need to be banned like the Polish cycling team photo. :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Teny wheels need to be banned
Fixed that for you.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm

No argument here.
Methinks those round things must've been designed by Mr Wiggin of Ironside and Malone, too rotating knives for my taste.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Haha I cracked up when I came across "Just Ride It" on a Facebook recommendation. They are all based on the same frame with some different colour choices and generally come with 3kg wheelset ;)

Brad use that felt as a basis to do some upgrades etc as you progress or as things breadown (depending on how many kms your doing). Cost is always an interesting question for these type of projects but you can generally do something to suit any budget. My current build was $1500ish which is a mix of some good and better bits but I probably could have done it for less half of that if I sacrificed a bit of Quality and brand.

Another good idea is keep your eye out on bits sold on Gumtree etc you can now and again pick up a bargain, the same with ebay although I see a lot of crap getting sold for stupid prices at the moment not sure if this is due to the resurgence of singlespeeds and fixies as fashion accessories.

Good luck to you sir
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am

Lozkat wrote:There's a shop on Brunswick street In Fitzroy near the Black Cat that does custom built fixies and they also sell all kinds of fancy coloured new parts. (My friend is always going in to build his fixie) I'm pretty sure they're called Just ride it or something similar. Check them out. They also had ready made ones for sale as well as parts and showtime hanging around for people to mix and match and make one.
I was just looking through this, and in addition to agreeing with the comments about the ludicrous way those bikes have been put together, am I the only one noticing that the OP is in Perth and was being advised to go to this shop in Melbourne?

I put together fixies/SS for my three sons and myself 2-3 years ago, and all have come in around $800 powdercoated, nice wheels, a few quality bits and comfortable saddles. Then there was the quick and nasty SS Repco Sport SLX I did in 4 hours for under $70 and then passed on to one of my sons' mate to use down at Warrnambool for uni - and its still going and he's in 3rd year.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3378&p=365418&hili ... ed#p365418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Is there anything wrong with the Felt? I had the same frame but the Dispatch and it was fine to ride. Until the frame broke :(

I changed all my parts over to a Trek Earl frame but needed new brakes as the old ones didn't have enough reach.

bradz

Postby bradz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Nothing wrong with the Felt. Just wanted something a bit more custom.

I have built up a Nervex frame since then, which is now serving me very well.

Will be selling the Felt shortly.