looking for a touring bike

John R

looking for a touring bike

Postby John R » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:17 am

I am wondering if anyone could let me know where I could buy a touring bike for a reasonable sum? Or fix up an old mountain bike as I have heard this is possible. I have been to a few shops here in Perth but doesn't seem to be much around or people don't seem to know. I am wasting a lot of time on this. I could start with a bike and add to it as I go. Any advice or wisdom much appreciated.

silentbutdeadly

Re: looking for a touring bike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 am

Vivente World Randoneur http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_p ... evers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's a dealer in Perth

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 am

^ what he said ^

They're probably the best value off-the-peg tourer. The Fuji touring bike might be another option of similar price, but with less features.

Building up a mountain bike is certainly an option, but it'll take time and you'll need to look into each component that you change out. The VWR is ready to go as it is...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi John,
welcome to the forum.
I just noticed this bike on gumtree and thought of you:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-ken ... 1016644620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think its a bargain for the bucks if its a size that would suit you (5' 2" to 5'7") Have a look online to see what those tubus racks are woth.
I dont know anything about the bike brand but thats work for you to have a squiz at.
Either way gumtree is as good a place as any to start looking.
Good luck :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm

I think Novara is the REI home brand. I've always thought of them as something comparable to the Jamis line of bikes - generally pretty good quality. I'd describe that as a very nice buy. Tubus racks on their own are worth over $350 if you buy them in Australia, although you could buy them from overseas on-line shops for ~$220-250.

John R

Postby John R » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Saw the bike on Gumtree but too small for me. I am continuing to learn. thanks to all

John R

Postby John R » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I think I will need to convert a (used) mountain bike for the time being as I don't have a spare $2000 to splash. Could someone suggest a make and model that would work for this so that I can make a start. I would then do some touring and learn as I do. I am keen to start riding Thanks

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

John R wrote:I think I will need to convert a (used) mountain bike for the time being as I don't have a spare $2000 to splash. Could someone suggest a make and model that would work for this so that I can make a start. I would then do some touring and learn as I do. I am keen to start riding Thanks
Hi John,
you havnt told us what your budget is.
Recently on gumtree there was a couple of Surly Long Haul Truckers for $1100 each although I think they were in Victoria.
I believe gumtree is your best avenue for a second hand bike.
Bit hard to advise someone when we dont know your budget, type of touring (short duration/long duration - on road/off road or mixture)
Your size of frame etc, whether you want 26" or 29" wheels. What equipment you already have.
Be aware things like racks, panniers, tent, cooker etc can end up hitting the bank balance hard but trying to go cheap can do the same thing when you find its not up to the job.
The sleeping bag thats fine when visiting your mates house is likely not going to be suitable except in the height
of summer.
You can read the threads to get an idea of what type of gear most of us have found works and what doesnt.
We'd need a hell of a lot more info to recommend anything to you really.
There are many and varied opinions on what bike etc but many of them will only be valid with the knowledge of what you want to do with it and where you want to go.
Also it could work out lots cheaper buying a bike already kitted out like the original one I suggested
rather than buying a bike and then buying all the gear your likely to want to customise it with later.
Bottom line (for me) = more info :D

There is probably few bikes that you could not tour on having accepted the various compromises necessary.
Even a bike that wont accept racks may accept a trailer.
Some bikes have more bolt on options than others but few if in good condition will be unable to tour to some degree.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:27 pm

John R wrote:I think I will need to convert a (used) mountain bike for the time being as I don't have a spare $2000 to splash. Could someone suggest a make and model that would work for this so that I can make a start. I would then do some touring and learn as I do. I am keen to start riding Thanks
Buying an old MTB and converting it......

The MTB will be OK if an old rigid one from the mid-90s, but still not as comfortable as a dedicated tourer.

Add to that the up-speccing you'd need to do to make it useable/similar to a Vivente World Randonneur:

Pannier racks - front & rear - $200/$500
Lights - $80/$300
Mudguards - $50/$150
Road tyres - $40/$100
Handlebar set-up - $0/$120
Saddle???

This is ignoring other camping gear requirements. You can see just to make the old MTB serviceable for touring it will cost ~$370; but to make it somewhat comparable to the VWR it will ad up to more like an extra $1,170. This is why many people would suggest that the VWR is a great buy, if you want a terrific touring bike "out of the box".

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi John if you need to use an MTB for a tourer because money is tight, this link maybe instructive. There are several other articles under MTB that may assist you with ideas.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =8116&v=1C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look for a rust free 80s or 90s steel frame with brazeons for racks/guards. A mate found an early 90s Giant MTB in hard rubbish some years ago and he has done many tours on it. He just added good, reliable, cheapish parts as needed. Many successfully tour on a wide variety of bikes because they either have limited funds or don't really care what they ride. Good luck.

John R

Postby John R » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks Uncle Just
I will work on what you suggested.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

John R

Postby John R » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for your note Rifraf I tried what you suggested - hope it worked
John

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm

John R wrote:Thanks for your note Rifraf I tried what you suggested - hope it worked
John
No worries :!:
Hope its worth pursuing - the frame appears to be quality being Tange Prestige.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

John R

Postby John R » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm

the bike has been sold so back to the search. Takes longer than I thought
John

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:58 pm

John, have you seen the Clamont touring bike offered in the marketplace?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

John R

Postby John R » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks RonK - have sent an e mail re the bike, will wait to hear if it is available. Don't know about postage??
John

alexf

Postby alexf » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks Ron. I told John R that he would have to fiddle with the crankset + front derailleur though to be able to use the top gear properly. I have tried various different ways of adjusting the derailleur and have not gotten it to work properly. Short of changing back to a road triple I don't know any guaranteed ways of fixing it... so :p (Oh, maybe that new derailleur machined for mtb cranksets, or just waiting for sora to be compatible with mtb derailleurs). But all these options will cost a few hundred, I imagine.