Galli Crit groupset....

leighthebee

Galli Crit groupset....

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am

I posted this on the other thread but didn't get any responses. Thought a wider net over here might get some love.

Came across this on evil bay. As some may know I've got a Nos Colnago Super frameset awaiting the right group to build up. I'm not thinking top end vintage campag due to cost of nos bits and the frameset isn't top Colnago either but I do like the idea of the below group.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Colnago-GALL ... _500wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea about the group though. I would assume reasonably tidy as you wouldn't panto Colnago on crap would you? From the little I've read, parts tough to replace, and it was an ex Campag employee essentially copying what he'd learnt.

Good fit for the frame?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=49836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Re: Galli Crit groupset....

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 am

The vintage is right, up to you whether you can be bothered doing it - seatpost is wrong size, and you need to find a freewheel and build wheels.

You could piece together a standard campagnolo group for less than that money, I'd suggest. I wouldn't do it.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Cheers Dan. Much appreciated

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Nice frame though :) New Athena would also suit.... :O ;)

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:23 pm

There's nothing wrong with a Galli groupset. Galli was a Campy copy, as you know, but the finish and quality was easily distinguishable from Campy. That being said, the Galli finish is very good. I'm not sure if the Galli bearing surfaces were ground into solid steel rings (better quality) of pressed out - perhaps that's a question you could ask of the seller. If I remember correctly, the standard, un-engraved Galli gruppo sold for about $500. I have no idea what a Colnago groupset would have cost.

I think it would suit your frame and look both great and a little different too.

The seatpost is not suitable for your frame, as stated, but it could be shimmed to take up the slack. Auto parts stores usually sell brass shim packs made up of a variety of different thickness'. It's easily cut with scissors, easily formed into a cylindrical shape and (I've found) that the seatpost doesn't slip slowly into the frame; it holds perfectly well. You just need to measure the actual thickness of the shim remembering that it wraps around the post and you have to halve the actual thickness of the required shim:

e.g. 27.2 frame size - 26.2 seatpost = 1mm difference - therefore you would need a 0.5mm shim.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 pm

while i agree that you could get a campag gruppo for similar money, finding a panto'd gruppo might be substantially more difficult.
if the pockets are deep enough (and the arms are long enough) go the galli. i don't think you're going to notice a difference in performance between that and nuovo record, for example.
also, you could probably sell that seatpost and buy a plain or fluted version in the correct size for less.

personally, i'd skip the panto business and save a few quid (or more specifically, spend the money i'd saved on wheels)

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Don't know why all the obsession for panto? I don't recall seeing many pro's riding panto'd gear and there's a reason why there was so much of it left over or NOS .... it was so expensive that it usually sat unsold in most every bike shop (same with 50th anni groups too) till relatively recently.

Not that the playstation generation are doing things wrong but I think recent trends with panto'd stuff comes from a younger crew without the perspective of old. Of course that just my opinion (I have others). :P :wink:

I'd go with plane jane Campy (good enough for a few world champs & TdF winners) or some nice Shimano or Simplex .. something that is in good condition and you like the look of. Or mix and match like many did. Imo condition and function of the parts is far more important than brand or appropriate year. Save your big $'s for the wheels and replacement chains/freewheels/brake blocks etc. I see too many high bling bikes with expensive panto parts that have worn jockey wheels, freewheels & chainrings and classic wheels with sub quality tyres. I'd rather a bike fit to ride than one to brag about.

Don't get me wrong Galli is nice gear and there's many other smaller component manufacturers to consider. Campy usually gets the nod because it lasts longer or might be considered more robust. Some stuff like from Suntour or Huret worked shifter a lot better, Mavic and Pellisier 2000 hubs were world class etc etc .... there's many smaller, lesser known manufacturers who did things quite well. Except for Weinmann Delta brakes ... they were !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! then and still !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! today :mrgreen:

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

morini

Postby morini » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 am

I saw this group set as well and openly admit to drooling over it. But buying it? Certainly not at that price. I've got a little bit of Galli gear and I daily look at what's for sale locally and over seas. An indication of value is that the guy selling this has already dropped his price $500. If I had the spare cash I'd would be offering around the $6 - 700 mark. It's almost too rare to use, hence the asking price but it's also not the best equipment of the era hence the offer price. Worth a try, he might need the money.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Cheers all. Food for thought...

Phatbag

Postby Phatbag » Thu May 02, 2013 12:00 pm

This has been interesting reading. I happen to have most of a Gali group set. I will need to do a proper check of what I have this evening. It was on a bike I bought about 11years ago. The frame is Columbus tubing with campaq lugs. I have hung on to it hoping to rebuild it at some point. The guy that sold it to me said it was custom build from a shop in Sydney called Durban Cycles. I will post again tonight with a list of what I have. I may be interested in selling what I have, or at least find ing out the history of the bike.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Thu May 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I think Durban Cycles may still be running. Down south side of Sydney somewhere... I had one of their frames for a while, quite nice.

Phatbag

Postby Phatbag » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I sent Durban cycles an email, and they said the previous owner who may have known about the bike past away a few years ago. My research says around the 70s, because that's when campaq made lugs. I have had a look in my garage and this is the list of galli stuff I have. Crank set, brake calipers, rear deraileur, hubs on mavic GP4 rims. I may have the bottom bracket, but will have to take the crank arm off to see. I also have a set of campaq record hubs on Montreal ambrosio medaille d'or rims. Anything I can learn about this would be great.

munga

Postby munga » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 am

Phatbag, put all your pics on your photobucket or flickr account and we might be able to help. if you're interested in selling the bike, but don't know what you have, we might be able to get a better idea with some decent photos. campy dropouts suggest something half decent (don't get too excited, lots of bikes have campy tips but that doesn't make them great bikes)

Phatbag

Postby Phatbag » Tue May 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Hey Guys, I have just put up the photos of the bike on photo bucket. I resprayed it about 5 years ago and put some upto date parts on the bike for my son. So some of the original parts are in a box at home. http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Phatbag2013/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morini

Postby morini » Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

I think phatbag knows what a great bike is. Got good taste too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/csc/cammo32/m.ht ... te=1&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm

morini wrote:I think phatbag knows what a great bike is. Got good taste too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/csc/cammo32/m.ht ... te=1&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That Mapei Master X.... [starts to black out...]

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 pm

spirito wrote:Pellisier 2000 hubs were world class
I believed you up until that point :lol: terrible hubs, I am surprised that a youngster has even seen them in the flesh. Was sure they were extinct!