Frame sizing for a newbie

raoulduke

Postby raoulduke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Can anyone recommend the best frame size for a first time fixed rider? I'm 5' 10" and my inseam is roughly 30"
thanks

HLC

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby HLC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

raoulduke wrote:Can anyone recommend the best frame size for a first time fixed rider? I'm 5' 10" and my inseam is roughly 30"
thanks
52-54cm should be ok I would think.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 pm

I say 59.5cm top tube, 62cm seat tube, 173mm head tube at 71.69 degrees, 76.33 degree seat tube angle and 412.5mm chain stays. If that doesn't fit, paint it red so your arms reach better.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Actually,

your height divided by pi (3.14 something, look it up) gets very damn close to the correct sized top tube for nearly everyone, I just discovered. Unless you're a gorilla or a gazelle, in which case you need a circus bike.

But truly, I'm the same height as you and in the normal percentile. The correct TT bike for me is 56cm, and one of mine is a 55. Pretty close.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Dan wrote:I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.
Why? Up until 10 years ago no-one would have thought of paying for a bike fit. Get some advice, yes.

I got the idea the OP wanted a cheapish angle on things.

Read here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the pi idea and decide for yourself whether to be serious about it or not.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Dan wrote:I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.
Why? Up until 10 years ago no-one would have thought of paying for a bike fit. Get some advice, yes.

I got the idea the OP wanted a cheapish angle on things.

Read here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the pi idea and decide for yourself whether to be serious about it or not.
I think you misunderstood. I'm not debating the Pi idea - If it works for you it works for you.

Regarding the "here's two measurements what size bike do I need" brain fart, I suggested a bike fit because its one way of getting an (arguably) correct fit, as is buying different sized frames until one fits correctly. I haven't had a bike fit, and probably wouldn't either, but I know of people who have, and who are now more comfortable as a result. I also know of people who think they wasted their money.

Even with general advice on sizing, angles may come into it - I mean, can anyone tell me why one of the five 56cm frames I've bought over the past year doesn't fit me, while all the others do?

I think the OP is just lazy. For example - my arm is 62cm long and I am 186cm tall - what is the right size for me?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Dan wrote:Even with general advice on sizing, angles may come into it - I mean, can anyone tell me why one of the five 56cm frames I've bought over the past year doesn't fit me, while all the others do?
Yes, angles do come into it. Link below is from my previous post.
http://www.rivbike.com/v/vspfiles/asset ... xcerpt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan wrote:I think the OP is just lazy.
:shock: Wow, you know how to start a flame war. Just as well he has probably moved on.
Dan wrote:For example - my arm is 62cm long and I am 186cm tall - what is the right size for me?
Do the calculator. :)
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=c ... ATOR_INTRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah, probably got the brunt of seeing 'will this bike fit me?' forty thousand times...

Re: link, Americans with an understanding of sarcasm always make me smile.