The Great Victorian Bike Ride

FatGuts

The Great Victorian Bike Ride

Postby FatGuts » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am

Hye guys has anyone done on of these: http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... des/20004/

It just popped up in my email (I do Ride to Work day & have done Round the Bay) and it looks interesting. Mt Gambier to Melbourne is a fantastic part of the country and would be lovely on a bike.

I am just wondering about what I get for my $895 dollars. I have to take my own accommodation which is fine as they cart it all for you to the designated spots & I am assuming that the cost of camping is included but what else?

It doesnt mention any food or anything else for that matter so I am wondering if someone has been on one of these rides, could you give me some hints & tips about these events.

TraceyG

Re: The Great Victorian Bike Ride

Postby TraceyG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am

Did my first Great Vic last year and crashed out on day three.

You get all meals, fantastic volunteer support en route and in camp and a brilliant care team (I know that one from first hand experience!)
Plus they provide pre-ride training tips, including training ride options.
The camaraderie of riders is great and the price is well worth it.

My husband and I have already signed up for this year's ride (last year's riders were able to sign up during the ride.)

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Don't forget travel insurance because BV are not into giving refunds for cancellations.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Yes, I have done a great escapade ride thru Tassie.

The ride itself was great but I didn't enjoy the crowd. Much prefer to tour solo.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 pm

RonK wrote:The ride itself was great but I didn't enjoy the crowd. Much prefer to tour solo.
I did the Great Vic in 2009 (that was Great Ocean Road as well), and my experience was the same. Too many people for me, but a lot of them seemed to be having a good time so if you don't mind crowds you'll probably be fine.

Pretty much everything was provided, all meals + snacks and stuff along the way, all your stuff is transported to the next campsite (usually the local sports field), they have volunteers to help with everything including any mechanical problems, the sag wagon will pick you up if you have trouble finishing a stage, there are portable showers and toilets as well as some washing facilities (be prepared for the queues though!). These events have been running quite successfully for a while so they have everything pretty well sorted. Personally they aren't my kind of thing and I couldn't see myself doing another one, but I'm glad I went along to the one I did.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I wasnt thinking of doing it as a regular thing, just a one off.

So far positive apart from the crouds but I dont really mind ridig with other people.

I was thinking it would be nice to to a ride holiday where I dont have to do anything much other than throw a leg over the bike every day.

Zaibs

Postby Zaibs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:Don't forget travel insurance because BV are not into giving refunds for cancellations.
Any ideas on what travel insurance cover event cancellations and bike riding? My medibank policy does not cover anything unless its on foot :(
Mike

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Zaibs wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote:Don't forget travel insurance because BV are not into giving refunds for cancellations.
Any ideas on what travel insurance cover event cancellations and bike riding? My medibank policy does not cover anything unless its on foot :(
Mike
No idea but BV recommends that you take out some cover!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:51 pm

I did a GVBR down from Yarrawonga to Melbourne in 1989.
I had a ball.
If you don't mind lots of people give it a go.
Like Ron I prefer solo touring nowadays but as a one-off event the ride ranks as one my most memorable experiences.
Even Cadel Evans did one as a school kid.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I've done two. One as a vollie and one as a rider.
Enjoyed the ride and it was well organized and catered.
Being a slow riders my wife and I were usually first out in the morning and last in in the afternoon.
Recall the sag wagon behind us one day trying to get us to ride in with them so they could get in for a beer. Sorry chaps but we rode the whole way.
In camp was a bit crowded for us but not too bad really.

The one thing I didn't like was the fixed itinerary. When going solo you can stay a day extra if you like a spot, have a day off or whatever but on the organized ride that won't work.

All in all a good experience and worthwhile in my opinion.

John

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Alas it will have to wait until next year. It is our 10th wedding anniversary on the 29 of November............how could I forget?? :shock: :mrgreen: