Perth rides lately

Roxsta99

Re: Perth rides lately

Postby Roxsta99 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am

Magic weather lately for riding, just getting past the 6am to 8am window has been a struggle, once you get past those times you wanna strip everything off and ride like it's a spiring day.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

seemed a little quiet this morning, everyone sleepin in from watchin the olympics road race im guessin. My usual loop to freo and back up to hillaries along the west coast hwy seemed a little more quiter, albeit between 5-7

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I left with a bunch from Kings Park on Sunday at 6am up welsh pool road and back down Kalamunda Rd..
Easily started as a group of 50 or 60 and thinned out on the way back to town.

Plus my Saturday morning 70 on the Trackie

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

::bump::

Something about Easter - SFA on the TV, generally great weather & nothing open seems to lend itself nicely to riding one's bike all day. Good Friday was a nice toddle into Hyde Park for coffee with the gals, then on to the BF's place in South Geraldton ... Forgot I was meant to report in when I was on my way, his plan was to surprise me by meeting me halfway. So not only did I rob him of his ride I rudely awoke him from his grandpa nap and he got all miffed, so I said "kfine, let's go around the lake". Ended up with 67km for the day, small beans to most on this site I'm sure but a record for me so far.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:34 pm

It's ok Lizzy. I only rolled out 50km. Mandurah to Cockburn Central and train back. Saw very few out.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Tornado wrote:It's ok Lizzy. I only rolled out 50km. Mandurah to Cockburn Central and train back. Saw very few out.
Would have ridden past me.
Did the Mandurah & return ride for 120 on friday, boring as feck.
At least the weather was glorious

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Rex wrote: Would have ridden past me.
Did the Mandurah & return ride for 120 on friday, boring as feck.
At least the weather was glorious
Tis a bit boring, but it's an easy way to pump out miles without dealing with traffic. Weather has been great the last few days.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow is was beautiful out there this morning, glad I took the morning off to ride before work.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm sick so I cant ride at the moment so in my mind it was a terrible morning Mark.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Wondering if I should try to ride the giraffe from Canning Bridge to Riverside Drive tomorrow. I need a proofing run in case I decide to join the family groups next week on the Great River Ride.

I've been putting a little practice time in on the giraffe lately. But I haven't had a long ride for about three years. With age comes uncertaintly - Not sure if I am up to it anymore. :cry:

Hmmmm. Will I? Won't I?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Well, I did get up early and I did get the giraffe out.

Every stage I wound up adding and adding and adding to my original intent. All up I did 26.1km with a short break at Sassys for coffee and a stop at the cafe at Deep water point for a needed Pepsi Max. Bateman, brentwood, mt pleasant, como, south perth, length of riverside drive,...

And this is what you guys look like from 10 feet up:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

40k today, killer wind out there.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Well, I did get up early and I did get the giraffe out.

Every stage I wound up adding and adding and adding to my original intent. All up I did 26.1km with a short break at Sassys for coffee and a stop at the cafe at Deep water point for a needed Pepsi Max. Bateman, brentwood, mt pleasant, como, south perth, length of riverside drive,...
Gave you the thumbs up around Parry Ave underpass late morning.

That thing is massive, did you have to duck?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I was bent double going through the tunnels under freeway near the Narrows.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:27 am

On Monday I was cycling around the river when I saw this darter, at first I thought it had some nesting material in its beak but as I got closer I realised it was netting wrapped around the beak so I parked the bike and went to see if the bird would allow me to get close enough to remove the netting.
There were four other darters on the jetty and as I approached they all moved from their spots and placed themselves between me and the bird with the netting, I didn't expect that! :shock:
So time to call for help, I retreated back to the bike to get my phone and called South Perth Rangers who informed me that they "don't do birds", they did give me a number for Wildcare. Wildcare were happy to hear from me and said they would report the problem to Seabird Rescue, in Mandurah. :roll:
I then spotted a young couple walking along the path so asked them if they could help me catch the darter. Well help they could, the young guy and I approached the bird, this time all the other darters flew off leaving one very nervous bird that looked ready to fly whenever we tried to get close. However after a few minutes it became distracted and looked away, the young guy made a dive for it and caught it. The young girl immediately rushed in and started untangling the net, while I just stood back and supervised. Eventually she had all the net removed from around and inside the beak and the bird was released, not before it had shown its gratitude by lunging at the girls arm, it only managed to strike her watch so no harm done. :D

Too old to live, too slow to die.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:30 am

And that's this morning feel-good story :)

Great work, most wouldn't stop and try to help.

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 am

Good effort there, good job

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am

Great work. However, in a case of un-ashamed one-upmanship :mrgreen: I suggest that you were lucky it was not a pelican (which I had to separate from a fishing hook it had snagged into it's breast at kalbarri once).

Though Iimagine that darters could be just as cranky.

I rolled to a stop yesterday just near the west end of Canning Bridge and picked up about 20m of fishing line trimmed and left by somethoughtful person. There was a bin 50m away. And don't even get me started on how many inconsiderate riders leave their punctured inner tubes in the wildlife reserve space along the Kwinana PSP. :x
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

Just like the drinking fountain that's down the Western exit ramp side of the PSP heading just south of Roe, always at least a dozen empty gel packets on the floor.
Filthy animals.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Well, I did get up early and I did get the giraffe out.

And this is what you guys look like from 10 feet up:
Typical campy rider sitting in :) :)

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Great work. However, in a case of un-ashamed one-upmanship :mrgreen: I suggest that you were lucky it was not a pelican (which I had to separate from a fishing hook it had snagged into it's breast at kalbarri once)....
Had it been a pelican I suspect it would have been much harder to find someone to help. :mrgreen:
Too old to live, too slow to die.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 am

Taken near Lake Monger on Tuesday evening.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Did the 3 dams ride yesterday.

What a difference compared to the Freeway ride. It was well organised, riders were better (great camaraderie), no crashes, great fun and a very enjoyable ride through the Perth hills.

Weather was a bit damp which made it more humid than wet. Some of the wet roads made me more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when descending at speed. LOL, I'm going faster up the hills these days than down them :(

All in all I would recommend this ride to other members - save your money and skip the Freeway ride and do this one instead.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

redned

Postby redned » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

mine's better

Evo6point5

Postby Evo6point5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 pm

MarkG wrote:Just like the drinking fountain that's down the Western exit ramp side of the PSP heading just south of Roe, always at least a dozen empty gel packets on the floor.
Filthy animals.
Saw that on Saturday. That said, wouldn't hurt to place a bin somewhere between Cockburn And mandurah.