On One / Planet X experiences?

MattyK

On One / Planet X experiences?

Postby MattyK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Anyone bought stuff from Planet X or On One? (Basically the same mob with two different fronts)

Good / bad / notable experiences?

Cheers

AP81

Re: On One / Planet X experiences?

Postby AP81 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Have bought a frame/forks from the on-one UK site. No problems at all. Took around 11 working days to get here.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Bought stuff online from them and also visited their showroom in Sheffield when in the UK 3 yrs ago.
Great people, great bikes, great prices... I'd buy from them more often but their freight can be quite a bit more than Ribble, c r c or Wiggle unless you are careful.
Andrew

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Freight is free except for big items... So one just hopes it's reliable

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes, I have bought a frame and some components from Planet X. It was good business. Recommended.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Wheels from Planet X. No issues and fast delivery. Took me three odd weeks to get wheels from Pro Lite in Queensland but took a week or so to get wheels from the UK from Planet X.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I bought an On One Inbred frame locally through Raceworx, at the time it only cost me $20 more to buy it locally.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 am

Good products... Not the greatest after sale service when I have had problems.

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Got a complete from them not long ago.

Somehow got free shipping. Had to wait a little bit for the frame to come instock, and shipping took ages.

But they were super helpful with my queries about when the stock was coming in etc.

Cheap, will buy from again.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:06 pm

I bought a complete Pompino a few years back, and a couple of orders of clothing and parts.

They seem to be gradually getting their act together, but they functioned like a couple of guys in a shed back then. Took ages to get my bike moving. I took the "do not build" checkbox option (for minus 20 quid), but eventually (after waiting for the wheels to come back in stock or some other delay) their order system showed my bike as being at "building" stage for about a week and a half... when it arrived, it was completely disassembled and had never been assembled, as expected. No idea what they were doing to it for those 10 days.

Like I said, they seem to be getting more on top of things and more professional as they get bigger.

Any problems you have are almost certain to be incompetence rather than malice, and I have no doubt they would do whatever it took to fix things if something went wrong with your order. Just don't be in any great hurry ;-)

tim

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Here is a cautionary tale when paying.

I spotted some mudguards on their On-One site.
I went to buy them last Friday.
Part way into the transaction, having typed all my details, including credit card, delivery address and email etc
I was prompted to push next (I assume to take to to the final "confirm" part of the sale. My computer popped up a message to tell me it was possible others could see my info and did I want to proceed. I thought perhaps I'd go
with the paypal option after all so pushed cancel.
The page went blank and stayed blank. Clicking back page told me the cache was empty so was unable to backpage.
Hmmmm interesting I thought. Turns out my money had gone from my bank account but the site had not retained records of my purchase or details.
Hmmmm interesting.
I found out they had my funds after checking my online banking account.
It took till yesterday to sort out the mess and get a confirmation of them finding my funds and an email tellingme
my goods were on the way.
I'm in no way knocking On-One who have done their very best to be helpful throughout the process.
My advice is just to go via paypal to eliminate the issue I had.
It stemmed from them using a secondary site (if I understood what they said) to process the funds which is why
I got the message popping up on my computer that others could see the details.
Dont do what I did and push cancel what ever you do. :idea:

Any problems or issues, I suggest you try ringing and asking for Charlie Tennick who service was exemplary in the process of reassuring me and finding the payment and hopefully sending off my fenders.
There!
My work is done :D

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 pm

I've had similar off a couple of UK online shops. One was a dodgy merchant, the other fine, but all you got was an email saying your payment was received, but no invoice/itemised account and nothing from the actual vendor.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:26 am

RonK wrote:Yes, I have bought a frame and some components from Planet X. It was good business. Recommended.
Hi RonK,
how long did it take to get to you :?:
Did they use TNT :?:
My fenders have hit Aussie shores and I wondering if TNT completes the delivery or does it go to Auspost's hands like many of the other overseas shipping companies :?:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:Yes, I have bought a frame and some components from Planet X. It was good business. Recommended.
Hi RonK,
My fenders have hit Aussie shores and I wondering if TNT completes the delivery or does it go to Auspost's hands like many of the other overseas shipping companies :?:
Yes, the carrier was TNT. I was expecting the shipment to go through customs and that I would be slugged import costs, but it just turned up at the office (i.e. it was delivered by a courier) about three weeks after I ordered it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi RonK,
thanks for the update.
Cheers
Aidan :D

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 pm

rifraf wrote:
Hi RonK,
My complete bike went into AusPost's hands when it arrived in the country. They were suprisingly quick though. Maybe it's because the box was massive and they just wanted it out of their depot ha.

Regarding online payment, if I can't pay with paypal, I won't purchase from that vendor online.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am

RonK wrote:Yes, the carrier was TNT. I was expecting the shipment to go through customs and that I would be slugged import costs, but it just turned up at the office (i.e. it was delivered by a courier) about three weeks after I ordered it.
They don't check every package... :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Bad day,
mudguards arrived but a different size.
I go back to the website and they have changed it from when I pressed the button on buying my mudguards. :shock:
They have changed the width from 60 to 40 yet they have overlooked changing their wording
"Fits for tire from 700C x 2,00 to 2,35 inches"
I do not believe there is any way that a 40mm wide (outside edge to outside edge) fender
will do anything for my 700x 2.35 tyres which are 60mm wide.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSSFS-70 ... set___700c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rifraf on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:53 pm

rifraf wrote:Well I"m spewing.
Mudguards arrived today.
Laughable.
I go back to the website and they have changed it from when I pressed the button on buying my mudguards.
They have changed the width from 60 to 40 yet they have overlooked changing their wording
"Fits for tire from 700C x 2,00 to 2,35 inches"
I do not believe there is any way in hell that a 40mm wide (outside edge to outside edge) fender
will do anything for my 700x 2.35 tyres
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSSFS-70 ... set___700c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They will work tolerably for rain on tar, as most of the water comes off the center of the tire, but I would personally be annoyed if I was riding in muddy conditions, because that will flick off the side tread once you pick up speed after a muddy patch.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:02 pm

zero wrote: They will work tolerably for rain on tar, as most of the water comes off the center of the tire, but I would personally be annoyed if I was riding in muddy conditions, because that will flick off the side tread once you pick up speed after a muddy patch.
I'm gutted :(
Gilles do offer a 60mm fender for a reason.
These were supposed to be that 60.
They have changed the site page after I pressed the button on the 60's which I am gutted about.
It would cost more to return them than the value of the fenders.
Because the tyres are very much wider than the fender they would have to sit way above the tyre to the point of the gap between the top of the tyre and the fender looking ridiculous.
I do not spend my money on items with the intention of deliberately looking ridiculous.
Not a good day and this was unfortunately the icing on the cake.
Last edited by rifraf on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm

I've enjoyed this thread as I'm about to buy a Planet X track bike I think, cheers to the OP and the feedback.

MM

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I've enjoyed this thread as I'm about to buy a Planet X track bike I think, cheers to the OP and the feedback.

MM
Hi Marty Moose,
as much as I'm really miffed at receiving incorrectly described fenders, I do acknowledge On-Ones willingness to assist and communicate which are both very important attributes of good service.
Due to my experiences with them putting right my purchase of said fenders which went pear shaped during
the buying/site registration process I fully expect there to be an amicable outcome.

I'm a little sore having had such a frustrating purchase experience compounded by an incorrect description and a general impatience with delivery times.
However tomorrow I'll be less focused on the problem and more on the solution.
I'm confident in the desire of On-One to retain me as a repeat customer and to offer a solution that works somewhat for both of us.

I've seen enough positive outcomes in this thread to say go for it.
I wouldn't let one tale of frustration get in the way of buying a bike frame you like :D

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Requested Some information about a Van Nicholas Ti frame a week ago - still waiting on a response.

Got an Uncle John Cyclo-X fram and forks from them last year. Quite decent for the money. Slow shipping - nearly three weeks. So yeah lack-lustre customer service

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm looking at their XLS CX Bike:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... cross_bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also from the USA, which could work out better if I can avoid GST:
http://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/cbpxxls.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have experience with this one? Reports on the net are thin.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Jonno wrote:Also from the USA, which could work out better if I can avoid GST.
Can't comment about the bike, but you cannot avoid GST by buying from the US, and the shipping charges will likely be much greater.

If you are think FTA = duty free, simplisticly this only applies to goods manufactured in the US. And duty free does not mean GST free. There is no duty on complete bikes anyway.

From my own experiences it seems shipments are randomly checked, so odds are you won't have pay regardless of which country you buy from.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...