Creatine... again.

twizzle

Re: Creatine... again.

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm

2013 PT data.

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Pacing could use work. Lowest power is on the slowest part of the course.
Started too hard. Faded after 90-seconds. You needed to save some AWC for the finale.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Not the I'm disagreeing about room for improvement... but which drop? At ~ 4minutes? Power dropped when the road dipped again as I was slow to react, the hump at the end I kept spiking. Last year I started at around 1Kw, but held myself back better on the fast sections and pushed harder on the climbs.

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

vander wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:463w av for 6m7s and slightly down hill course... only 39 av :shock: ... what's the profile like at the end?... huge headwind?
This is something to look at Twiz. I would certainly be getting your powermeter checked. 460W is good no matter your size really. Jump on the track and do a pursuit would love to see what time you could get, if your power is correct I would expect somewhere around 4:30 or less which is a serious time.
I have two PT's, only ~.5% between them. I've been tempted to try track... but fixed sounds scary. According to the Coggan chart, my 5 min is a touch better than my 20 min, but I get exercise induced asthma from these short TT's every time.

Sent from my iThingy...

skull

Postby skull » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am

eightsixboy wrote: My experience with creatine is that its highly over rated, its not like you take it and have mass energy all of a sudden.
I don't think it us over rated. For cycling yes, but for people working on fitness for size and physique it works.

I used it a fair bit when still in the army doing a lot of strength work. Definitely help in recovery and size. No energy increase, for that I took a pre workout supplement, like no explode. That definitely gave an energy boost. I think most pre workouts, well the ones that worked, are now banned on sport and also defence.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 am

twizzle wrote:Not the I'm disagreeing about room for improvement... but which drop? At ~ 4minutes? Power dropped when the road dipped again as I was slow to react, the hump at the end I kept spiking. Last year I started at around 1Kw, but held myself back better on the fast sections and pushed harder on the climbs.

Sent from my iThingy...
Your power from about second 30 to second 80 is substantially higher than what you were able to sustain at any subsequent time. That is also the time of highest speed.

The ROI of spending your limited energy budget is higher on slower parts of the course (i.e. inclines). By using up valuable AWC early and on a faster part of the course, you ended up slower overall.

Like I said, started too hard.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 am

I only averaged 144W for the Prologue (though I forgot to stop the Garmin at the finish so this includes the ride back to the start). 36 seconds difference between us.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 am

Ross wrote:I only averaged 144W for the Prologue (though I forgot to stop the Garmin at the finish so this includes the ride back to the start). 36 seconds difference between us.
Your PM is broken. Or you must have ridden back really, really slowly.

What was you average power for the first 6:40'ish?
Last edited by twizzle on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:....
Like I said, started too hard.
Yep - I kept trying to rein myself in, but every time I looked down I was back into the low 500's. :roll:

skull

Postby skull » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

Ross wrote:I only averaged 144W for the Prologue (though I forgot to stop the Garmin at the finish so this includes the ride back to the start). 36 seconds difference between us.
I am in agreeance with twiz, that reading is off.

I was avg 390w for the TT and my time was 6.22. I weight 82kg.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm

twizzle wrote:

My stats are in Golden Cheetah which is on my home computer but Strava has a segment ACTVCC 2012 Time Trial which is pretty close to the Prologue course (but shorter) and my time for that was 6.01 with 281W (Strava calculated power - I don't have PM on that bike but there are several other people that have done faster times over that segment that have PMs and their power is 242W and 279W just to quote a couple so the Strava calculated power should be reasonably accurate).

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

To add some more info for comparison
I averaged around 350w and managd to keep the power fairly costant for the whole effort.

I was around 6:37 (cant remember the exact time) at 100kg
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Ross wrote:
twizzle wrote:

My stats are in Golden Cheetah which is on my home computer but Strava has a segment ACTVCC 2012 Time Trial which is pretty close to the Prologue course (but shorter) and my time for that was 6.01 with 281W (Strava calculated power - I don't have PM on that bike but there are several other people that have done faster times over that segment that have PMs and their power is 242W and 279W just to quote a couple so the Strava calculated power should be reasonably accurate).
Skinny, narrow people on small frames present a lot less frontal area than tall/wide people on big frames. Especially when I can't get as low as I'd like because my knees hit my rib cage.

OT has similar TT performances to me, but does it on ~ 240W average vs 360W average for me. He's mid 60'ish kg's vs. my current 95kg.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes he beat me in the Prologue (but you beat him by ~20 secs), but I beat him in both stages of the road race

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Ross wrote:Yes he beat me in the Prologue (but you beat him by ~20 secs), but I beat him in both stages of the road race
Not really a fair comparison given that the race time is determined by who is prepared to work on the front of the bunch. ie. B grade would have been a lot slower if Roger hadn't kept following attacks, or if NB/IM/PM etc. hadn't kept launching solo attacks. There was certainly no incentive for me to keep the pace up, all I cared about was not being too tired at the finish.