Any bike recycling groups/maintenance workshops in Perth?

Hazel

Any bike recycling groups/maintenance workshops in Perth?

Postby Hazel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 am

I'm new here so please forgive...

I'm just getting into casual/utility cycling and dabbling with some vintage restoration, but there's only so much a girl can do using youtube 'how-to's, forums and blog tips. I'm keen to increase my bike usage but am apprehensive of longer journeys in case I suffer a component failure... I've done a bit of adjusting, and I am fairly confident I could repair a puncture, for example, but as a really green newbie I'm yet to experience a flat IRL and get some hands-on experience.

In my recent net travels I've read about bike recycling / workshop co-ops (eg. 'Bikes not Bombs') in the US and UK where old unwanted bikes are used to construct inexpensive entry-level bikes and educate people on vintage bike maintenance etc.

Seems unlikely given Perth's tiny size and limited cycling population, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of either bike recycling groups or bike maintenance workshops? Possibly something student-coordinated within one of the unis/TAFEs? Or do any LBSs run workshops like these?

rolandp

Re: Any bike recycling groups/maintenance workshops in Perth

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:20 am

Hazel, I don't believe there is - last attempt was for us to meet up with Chad when he eventually purchases a new frame. I'm thinking of running a session for my daughter (15-year) and her friends. Can expand this to some forum members if there is interest. This would just cover the basics though, as it is only want I've learnt off books/u-tube, and fixing up 4-5 street finds.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:13 pm

There really isn't anything. There is a guy at the Really Free Market who does free repairs.

http://rrfmperth.blogspot.com/

He may be good to get some tips from next time around.

I also learned from youtube etc, ripping apart old BMXs, and then old MTBs, culminating in building my Long Haul Trucker from scratch. The next challenge is learning to build wheels. I am also interested in cutting/welding and making ratbikes but I need some more spare time and funds to set myself up to do that kind of thing. I find the secret is taking your time and not putting yourself under pressure the first time you try to figure something out. Bikes are really not that complex creatures, and I really haven't had any catastrophic failures on the road.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

stang1

Postby stang1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Hazel, I don't believe there is - last attempt was for us to meet up with Chad when he eventually purchases a new frame. I'm thinking of running a session for my daughter (15-year) and her friends. Can expand this to some forum members if there is interest. This would just cover the basics though, as it is only want I've learnt off books/u-tube, and fixing up 4-5 street finds
+1 , Count me in if when your conducting a session. I have yet to experience any flats at all yet... watching/learning from youtube countless times but seeing it and trying it hands on is a totally different story ._. Ill PM you my mobile if you do not mind. Staying SoR here. :)

Hazel

Postby Hazel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd totally be up for a small or informal session, if it gets off the ground I'll be there! I'm in the north perth area and don't have a car so a bit limited location-wise, but there's always the train. :)

velogrrl

Postby velogrrl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 am

Hi Hazel
The BTA has run maintenance workshops in the past - you might let them know you're interested www.btawa.org.au
I did a tiny version a couple of years ago when I collected some bikes from verges and a couple of friends helped me do them up and we distributed them to some people who had newly arrived in Australia. I currently have a shed full of similar bikes and I am hoping to get organised enough to get a recycling workshop up during Spring Bike Week. The bikes would then be distributed to people who need them. My plan is that I'll get some funding to cover the parts we'll need to repair the bikes, and hopefully to reimburse someone for their time and expertise in showing us how to fix them. We'll get the benefit of learning how to restore the bikes, and the recipients of the bikes will boost our numbers on the roads (as well as experiencing the joy of cycling of course)!
PM if you want to go on my mailing list - that will make me get my act together and get this off the ground instead of just talking about it!
deb

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Hazel wrote:Seems unlikely given Perth's tiny size and limited cycling population, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of either bike recycling groups or bike maintenance workshops? Possibly something student-coordinated within one of the unis/TAFEs? Or do any LBSs run workshops like these?
Hi

You might want to check out this thread. I know the Mundi Biddi Foundation offer maintenance workshops once or twice a year.

Regards
Andrew

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Also looking for a re-cycling charity to take the rest of my workshop... :|
Cheers,
George.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Hazel,

City of Cockburn have had some bike maintenance workshops, the council website should have info on that somewhere.

I wandered past the Dismantled setup down in Fremantle the other day - it looks like they are up to something similar perhaps wrt. fixing old bikes?

http://dismantle.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you find something there,

Cheers

Time

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 am

Timeonabike wrote:I wandered past the Dismantled setup down in Fremantle the other day - it looks like they are up to something similar perhaps wrt. fixing old bikes? http://dismantle.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Hope you find something there,
Cheers, Time
No WA contact details on that link, do you have any?
Cheers,
George.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

Hazel wrote:I'm new here so please forgive...

I'm just getting into casual/utility cycling and dabbling with some vintage restoration, but there's only so much a girl can do using youtube 'how-to's, forums and blog tips. I'm keen to increase my bike usage but am apprehensive of longer journeys in case I suffer a component failure... I've done a bit of adjusting, and I am fairly confident I could repair a puncture, for example, but as a really green newbie I'm yet to experience a flat IRL and get some hands-on experience.

In my recent net travels I've read about bike recycling / workshop co-ops (eg. 'Bikes not Bombs') in the US and UK where old unwanted bikes are used to construct inexpensive entry-level bikes and educate people on vintage bike maintenance etc.

Seems unlikely given Perth's tiny size and limited cycling population, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of either bike recycling groups or bike maintenance workshops? Possibly something student-coordinated within one of the unis/TAFEs? Or do any LBSs run workshops like these?
Hi Hazel,

Dismantle is the place to go for sure. They're located on the Fremantle Esplande just under the giant Ferris Wheel. Look for the sea containers to the southern side of the Ferris Wheel.

They will assist you to restore your old bike and have heaps of parts available too. Swing past on Saturday or Sunday and they'll help you out :D

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm

http://dismantle.org.au/course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dismantle in Freo would be my recommendation. All contact details are found under the above link, and the page even features the founder....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:18 pm

CycleSnail wrote:http://dismantle.org.au/course/ Dismantle in Freo would be my recommendation. All contact details are found under the above link, and the page even features the founder....
Sorry, page is 12 months old and still no contact number! :P
Cheers,
George.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Maybe this is another option George? Bikes for Humanity

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Sprocket wrote:Maybe this is another option George? Bikes for Humanity
I think you will find that dismantle also liaise with this group.

Lachy Ritchie and Tess Maloney are the folk you want to speak to I think.

I have alerted Lachy to this thread so hopefully he comes on and can give you some advice and/or contact numbers for him or Dismantle.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

lachy-dismantle

Postby lachy-dismantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi there,

Big thanks to everyone who has mentioned Dismantle. We really appreciate the ongoing support of the community. You're awesome..

We will be more than happy to help out. We have a range of maintenance courses and with a membership you can access the workshop and all our tools to rebuild a bicycle. We have a dedicated team of volunteers who can assist in learning how to rebuild and maintain a bike. Heaps of info is available here....
Maintenance courses: http://dismantle.org.au/course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Membership: http://dismantle.org.au/get-involved/membership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also pop down and do minor repairs and use the workshop for a contribution of $5 an hour if you are in Freo. Lots of people like to try things out for a little while before signing up. We are a registered not-for-profit so all money contributes to our operational costs and helps us run our education programs for at-risk youth. Feel free to just pop down for a look around any time. We are currently open Fri 3-6pm, and sat/sun 12pm - 5pm.

Would love to see you down there. If you have any enquiries please direct them to our contact us page on the website or tess@dismantle.org.au she will look after you.

Hope this helps and hope to see you there soon.
My email is lachy@dismantle.org.au if anyone would like any more info about Dismantle as a whole.

cheers :)

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Edit: I have now found a workshop (on the phone) to take the rest of my parts inventory. :lol:
Cheers,
George.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm

gclark8 wrote:Edit: I have now found a workshop (on the phone) to take the rest of my parts inventory. :lol:
All sold! :D
Cheers,
George.