Long sleeve cool weather jersey without fleece?

Jean

Long sleeve cool weather jersey without fleece?

Postby Jean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi,

I'm wanting a long sleeve jersey that is suitable for autumn/spring riding but is not a full-on fleece lined jersey. I suppose it would have a closed weave that offers some protection from the chill, but will not turn into a sweat maker if the temperature nudges over 10 degrees. I have such a thing now, but it's ancient and near its end.

Most long sleeve jerseys these days seem to be fleece lined for winter, or super light for keeping the sun off in summer.

Suggestions?

Cheers
Jean

RonK

Re: Long sleeve cool weather jersey without fleece?

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Jean wrote:Suggestions?
Use armwarmers - roll 'em down or take 'em off if you get too hot.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds like you're in the same market for a jersey as I am. Wiggle have some, including products from Gore; however I'm more interested in 100% Merino for a little more 'snug'.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Check out Ground Effect http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/ They make tops from various fabrics including merino. their merino tops are here http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm

I use the 'Bergler' for cool days, and the 'baked alaska' when it gets cold. Good for low to mid single digit temps.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 pm

What about a polypro thermal top? They're pretty cheap, not cycling specific but could do the job.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Thankyou! x 10^23

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Sparx wrote:What about a polypro thermal top? They're pretty cheap, not cycling specific but could do the job.
They would be too warm. I use them as baselayers in winter when it gets down into the minuses.

The Monton "thermal" jerseys might be suitable, they are pretty lightweight for a thermal jersey though they do have fleece inside. I wore one this morning when it was 9.4 degrees

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

RonK wrote:
A possibility, but I've always found arm warmers such a PITA. Hadn't thought of merino, with looking into.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Jean wrote:
RonK wrote:
A possibility, but I've always found arm warmers such a PITA. Hadn't thought of merino, with looking into.
They are far more versatile in spring/autumn weather when temps are variable. Good ones are made from super roubaix, not merino.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm

RonK wrote: They are far more versatile in spring/autumn weather when temps are variable. Good ones are made from super roubaix, not merino.
Yeah, no I was thinking merino LS jersey, not arm warmers. If I went for warmers again I'd certainly stick with super roubaix.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Jean wrote:
RonK wrote: They are far more versatile in spring/autumn weather when temps are variable. Good ones are made from super roubaix, not merino.
Yeah, no I was thinking merino LS jersey, not arm warmers. If I went for warmers again I'd certainly stick with super roubaix.
I have a couple of Ground Effect Median Strip jerseys. This is their short sleeve merino jersey. It's a very comfortable fabric against the skin. Wore them in EnZed last year (with GE arm warners) and a Jetson gilet. Going back in June so I'm going to get another before I go.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Just bought myself a Baked Alaska, thanks for the tip ;)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Jean wrote:Hi,

I'm wanting a long sleeve jersey that is suitable for autumn/spring riding but is not a full-on fleece lined jersey. I suppose it would have a closed weave that offers some protection from the chill, but will not turn into a sweat maker if the temperature nudges over 10 degrees. I have such a thing now, but it's ancient and near its end.

Most long sleeve jerseys these days seem to be fleece lined for winter, or super light for keeping the sun off in summer.

Suggestions?

Cheers
Jean
Have you thought of wearing an under shirt with a normal jersey and arm warmers?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am

jacks1071 wrote:
Jean wrote:Hi,

Suggestions?

Cheers
Jean
Have you thought of wearing an under shirt with a normal jersey and arm warmers?
That would be too hot I think. I'm looking for a long sleeve jersey that has a tight enough weave that I can wear it (usaully with a gilet) when I ride out on cool morning to keep the worst of the chill at bay (at say 7-12 degrees) and still be comfortable weraing it later when the temperature rises ( to say 12-16 degrees) and I take off the gilet. As I said I have a jersey that fits the bill now, but it's on its last legs.

I have light short sleeve jerseys and fleece lined long sleeve jerseys for Canberra winters, but I'm looking for something in-between.

joomz

Postby joomz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 am

Torpedo7 used to make a really good long sleeve jersey, only $30 or something. I wish I bought more. Seemed to fit the temperature gap between summer and winter really well. They've got new long sleeve designs now but I'm hesitant to try one because they've received bad reviews

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

I have a Torpedo7 model with a windproof front. It's perfect for riding in the hills on cool days. If you over heat on the way up you just undo the full length zip at the front. One the way down the front panel keeps you from freezing on the descent. No need to muck around with gillets.

It's faded a bit, and the arms aren't very warm but it cast me $30 and it fits very well. The zipper feels a bit fragile, so I'd be wary of unzipping it all the way repeatedly.

Good for temperature ranges between 14-18 degrees.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

__PG__ wrote:Good for temperature ranges between 14-18 degrees.
You must be kidding - that is short sleeve jersey weather.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Jean wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:
That would be too hot I think. I'm looking for a long sleeve jersey that has a tight enough weave that I can wear it (usaully with a gilet) when I ride out on cool morning to keep the worst of the chill at bay (at say 7-12 degrees) and still be comfortable weraing it later when the temperature rises ( to say 12-16 degrees) and I take off the gilet. As I said I have a jersey that fits the bill now, but it's on its last legs.

I have light short sleeve jerseys and fleece lined long sleeve jerseys for Canberra winters, but I'm looking for something in-between.
I start wearing under shirts when it hits about 24 degrees :-)

You can get them in different thicknesses.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Maybe you've got more insulation than me?
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 am

jacks1071 wrote:
I start wearing under shirts when it hits about 24 degrees :-)
:shock:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:04 am

__PG__ wrote:Maybe you've got more insulation than me?
That is probably true :-)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I'll wear a short-sleeve for 16 degrees and up. However, if its 16 degrees in the valley and 12 up on the hill, that complicates matters.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 pm

__PG__ wrote:I'll wear a short-sleeve for 16 degrees and up. However, if its 16 degrees in the valley and 12 up on the hill, that complicates matters.
Arm warmers are your friend, PG. :smile:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Yes but they don't keep your torso warm on downhill descents.

Riding in the hills is a pain in the arse from a clothing point of view. A few times I've made it out to Hurstbridge and I've hit a major inversion and had to take off my tights and tie them around my waist.

Or two weekends ago it was quite warm in Bayswater so I set off to the Dandenongs with the long-sleeve jersey in question but just shorts. Was fine around Ferny Creek but coming up from Kalista to Olinda I came across a cold pool of air...brrrr.

Needless to say there are many times its been 8 degrees and drizzling at the top of Kinglake but 16 and sunny in Eltham.

I need a good pair of leg warmers I've decided.
Last edited by __PG__ on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 pm

On these last couple of weekends I've been wearing a merino tshirt under my jersey with arm warmers and a gillet. This has been due to the nice warm days that they have been turning out to be after around 8:30. I find I haven't had to take off the gillet yet as the air is still a bit crisp on the chest, but I've ditched the arm warmers. Another combo I was using last autumn/winter was a long sleeve merino under jersey and gillet.The merino lets more wind through than the arm warmers so it's a bit cooler. Usually if it was any colder than that warranted I found that taking the wind off my arms too with a spray/wind jacket inseat of the gillet worked up until it was really into the negatives.