Ridley Dean - rear wheel wont fit

Jazwolfe

Ridley Dean - rear wheel wont fit

Postby Jazwolfe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Splashed out and bought a new Ridley Dean frame, pretty happy. Problem is the rear wheel just wont fit, rubs at the top and on the drive side chain stay, not by much but enough. I am trying to fit 60mm carbon clinchers with 23mm tyres. From the Ridley paperwork tyres up to 25mm are said to be ok. Will 21mm tyres help or is it just bad luck that the wheels i have dont suit? I found a couple of similar issues on the web but any advise or discussion regarding what wheels would suit or help would be appreciated. I would be happy looking at tubs or clinchers, 60mm or plus at rear.

Dan

Re: Ridley Dean - rear wheel wont fit

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

I'd try a different 23 first. Tyre sizes are like shoe sizes - nominal at best. Rubino Pro has a smallish profile, while a conti GP4000S is big and ballooney. Rubbing on one chain stay only means the wheel is a) not squarely seated or b) not true, in addition to the tyre size issue.

EDIT: predictable typo on keyboard with missing a, s and d keys
Last edited by Dan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jazwolfe

Postby Jazwolfe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will try some different tyres and check the wheels. I just seems so tight particularly at top of the wheel under the seat post, it hits there or more like completely stops the wheel there, so I am not confident a different tyre will be enough.

Jazwolfe

Postby Jazwolfe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:22 pm

I didnt think the drop outs had screw, but they do, super tiny though. If I move the wheel 5mm or so back in the drop out it seems to give enough room. Is it classed as safe practice to move the wheel back and use the screws as postion guide for the wheel? I guess that is what the screws are there for. Does any one know if there is a recomended minimum distance between frame and tyre?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got 23mm tyres on my Noah, and my, there ain't any spare real estate there. Never thought of it, but tubulars would fit well too.

As to minimum clearance, I'd suggest it was wheel flex being the main variable. For 60mm carbon clinchers, I reckon there wouldn't be much so you should be safe.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.