Cooks River - beware!

ab012

Cooks River - beware!

Postby ab012 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Guys and Gals

First post here - hi ;)

Just wanted to let everyone know to be extra careful when next riding the cooks river cycleway. On friday late afternoon during my commute (going towards strathfield direction), approaching one of the downhill dips I slowed down as I saw a ped at the bottom. I am very glad I did because it turns out someone decided to put a pole across the whole path, around 50-60? cm off the ground. It was just out of of sight from the top of the dip, and so if any cyclist was going down without braking there would be no time to avoid the pole and potentally get hurt.

I move the pole off the path, but who knows if whoever decided to do it might try again... :roll:

george-bob

Re: Cooks River - beware!

Postby george-bob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

wow, that is evil! thanks for the heads up! where abouts on the path was the pole?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks ab012 & welcome to the forums with a useful first post. Did you report it to the police, because these sort of traps have a tendency to recur
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am

+1 Where abouts? I rode the same direction along the Cooks from almost 6pm at Tempe and saw nothing.

Thanks for the warning though and perhaps I might need to put some lights on my helmet too for better lighting of the area.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi everyone

Didnt think of reporting to police.. probably should have..

Embarrasingly :oops: - I cant remember the exact street crossing - description wise, from Tempe to Strathfield direction it is section which is the steepest (but very short) downhill on the route - will report back on exact location next time i go by that way again.

Smelly Tofu - I went past Tempe just a little earlier then that ;) so at least no one put the pole back up! 8)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Is this the steepest (short) hill you mean 40 Foord St, Hurlstone Park ?

Just remember, it's school holidays, so this kind of incident is much more likely. Thanks for flagging it, and
yeah, would be good to let local police know - it will often get them interested in patrolling the area to look
for any troublemakers.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 am

Agree Foord St is the only real dip along that path. I can understand the blindness for that bit. Kind of weird the kids go to that length to work out all these things.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 am

I'd be surprised if they catch anyone. And does the general public even care about this? :(

It's a warning to be extra careful through blind corners and under bridges where your vision is blocked.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 pm

It's a offense under the crimes act to set a mantrap. The police actually have an
obligation to investigate any criminal matters.

As well as being a criminal act, it's a pretty dumb thing to do. I would not be
at all surprised if the perpetrator was dumb enough to be caught.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:15 am

thats the spot - thanks! ;)

going past the place again today, as long as one is on the lookout for it i think its ok thankfully (i think/hope) - take care everyone. 8)

Cooks River

Postby Cooks River » Fri May 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi - I manage the Cooks River Alliance http://www.cooksriver.org.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and we're currently seeking board members from the Cooks River Catchment area - have a thinkg about applying.