new wheels, what to get

Road Kill

new wheels, what to get

Postby Road Kill » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 am

looking for a new set of wheels for a road bike. I had 700c Ukai rims years ago, they were double layer aluminium with sunken eyelets and had Shimano 105 hubs fitted to them. I will probably get Shimano 105 hubs again but don't have a clue as to what rims are currently available and what's good.
Any ideas?

zero

Re: new wheels, what to get

Postby zero » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

Most people with vaguely modern frame buy factory wheelsets today, ie I have a set of fulcrum 5s on my bike at the moment, which are cheap, line built (but assembled by hand), semi aero alloy wheels, come in a box from the internet assembled ready to accept tires and cassette and go. There are literally thousands of competitor wheelsets to those available in hundreds of different configurations from alloy to carbon fibre.

Velocity and mavic sell rims here in Australia, but neither go out of their way to make it easy or cheap for you to buy the rims in Australia. Often a case of going to the bike shop and getting a quote to see how painful it is pricewise.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am

What sort of riding are you doing? Commuting? Racing? Touring? What is your weight? Budget?

jas0nt

Postby jas0nt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

zero wrote:Velocity and mavic sell rims here in Australia, but neither go out of their way to make it easy or cheap for you to buy the rims in Australia. Often a case of going to the bike shop and getting a quote to see how painful it is pricewise.
http://www.velomine.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sell Mavic Pros with 105/Ultegra hubs with relatively decent shipping costs ($60).

Road Kill

Postby Road Kill » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Ross wrote:What sort of riding are you doing? Commuting? Racing? Touring? What is your weight? Budget?
the bike is my only form of transport so just general riding around from place to place, No racing. Bike will only be used on roads or cyclepaths.
I am about 5ft 11inches tall and weigh about 85kgs.
budget, I am happy to spend about $300-400 per wheel. I guess about half that will go in hubs :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

$300-$400 is a lot of money per wheel for general transport. Given its your only method of transit I'd be buying the most bombproof set of wheels out there that would last you forever and not worry too much about weight, i.e. a 32 or 36 double butted spoke set on a solid rim (Open Pro, Velocity, or H Plus & Son spring to mind). Hub wise a 105 or Ultegra Hubs last a good long time, or if you don't care about the name Novatec (Joytec) do cheap good quality sealed hubs that seem to just keep on rolling.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Road Kill wrote:
Ross wrote:budget, I am happy to spend about $300-400 per wheel. I guess about half that will go in hubs :)
Velocity A23 rims. Fit a 25mm tyre so much better than stock rims (often around 19-20mm wide) and you can be comfortable and have cornering bliss (and ride what the pros ride as they're now on 25s too).

Hubs: something from Shimano will run long and happy - Ultegra would be a good price point.

Spokes: sturdy, like DT Competition.

Easily within your budget.

Or just buy a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels online....

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm

don't mean to seem pushy or anything, but these (are mine) and seem to be within budget. Ask around, you'd be hard pressed to find a critic.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63451

they simply wont break (or go out of true); if i wasn't upgrading i'd keep these things forever.. longevity wise, they were custom made for me (95kg) with lifetime warranty.

timber

Postby timber » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:11 pm

AlMac wrote:
Or just buy a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels online....

Agreed . I'm using these things anh I've loved it . They've been on sale now .

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegra-6 ... B0037493GS