SKS Longboard Mudguard Set - Opinions needed

gretaboy

SKS Longboard Mudguard Set - Opinions needed

Postby gretaboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

Am after opinions on this mudguard.

I am in need of a new mudguard since my previous SKS Chromoplastic rear Mudguard decided to break in half. Seems the roads I ride were a bit too tough for them

Was it easy to fit? Do you have them on a road bike? What is the toughness of them like?

rangersac

Re: SKS Longboard Mudguard Set - Opinions needed

Postby rangersac » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 am

I used to run Chromoplastics like you, but switched to Longboards as I found that the lack of a mudflap on the Chromoplastics meant I still got wet feet if there was significant water around. In terms of fit they're exactly the same setup as the Chromoplastics, so if you fitted those you can fit these. I run mine on a flatbar road bike and they fit fine, but they have a tighter clearance on the front fork, so that's worth checking (PM me if you'd like width measurements). Over big bumps they would contact the fork on my bike giving a buzzing sound, but a few judicious bits of pipe insulation foam wedged between the fork and guard fixed that. In terms of toughness their construction seems to be more solid than the Chromoplastics but that's only an opinion based on feel.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I have long boards on a cx bike running 32 or 35 mm tyres (the frame will take 42mm so plenty of frame / fork clearance).
I find them very robust with little rattle, squeak or hum. The bike also has bb7 discs so needed some spacers for the front and back plus some wire stay bending was needed to clear the brakes. Took a few hours of fiddling to fit well.
I would recommend them as on the road they do keep the road muck and grime off. Not sure about long distances on lots of clay type mud but being poly they should shed the mud quite well.
I have the beige ones running on an orange bike and they look quite good. Also worth noting if you take your front wheel off to drop the bike in the back of the car you may find these things will make the size of your bike much bigger.
Riv bikes have a vid on fitting them… ( http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/fe2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Here http://youtu.be/lG_WZVS9SUY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Are the mudflaps on the longboards removable. I'm also thinking of getting them but would like to know if the mudflaps can be removed if I decide to.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am

baabaa wrote:I have long boards on a cx bike running 32 or 35 mm tyres (the frame will take 42mm so plenty of frame / fork clearance).
I find them very robust with little rattle, squeak or hum. The bike also has bb7 discs so needed some spacers for the front and back plus some wire stay bending was needed to clear the brakes. Took a few hours of fiddling to fit well.
I would recommend them as on the road they do keep the road muck and grime off. Not sure about long distances on lots of clay type mud but being poly they should shed the mud quite well.
I have the beige ones running on an orange bike and they look quite good. Also worth noting if you take your front wheel off to drop the bike in the back of the car you may find these things will make the size of your bike much bigger.
Riv bikes have a vid on fitting them… ( http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/fe2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Here http://youtu.be/lG_WZVS9SUY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is a very good video. Thanks :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:Are the mudflaps on the longboards removable. I'm also thinking of getting them but would like to know if the mudflaps can be removed if I decide to.
You could removed them easily enough, they're only held on with a plastic pin/ clip type arrangement. You'd probably break it by doing so though, although you can pick up spare mudflaps with the fitting separately.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:48 pm

rangersac wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Are the mudflaps on the longboards removable. I'm also thinking of getting them but would like to know if the mudflaps can be removed if I decide to.
You could removed them easily enough, they're only held on with a plastic pin/ clip type arrangement. You'd probably break it by doing so though, although you can pick up spare mudflaps with the fitting separately.
Thanks, does that mean you can also fit them to std 35mm chromoplastics?

I like the longboards but the only place I can find them listed as 35mm wide is on the evans cycles web site. The sks web site only lists 45mm longboards which are going to be too wide for my bike.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:I like the longboards but the only place I can find them listed as 35mm wide is on the evans cycles web site. The sks web site only lists 45mm longboards which are going to be too wide for my bike.
Um, did you spend more that 5 minutes looking? :P
http://www.aebike.com/SKS-Longboard-Fen ... 47258.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although probably no advantage getting them from the US. Why don't you just get the 35mm Longboards from Evans, or is the budget already too stretched?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I like the longboards but the only place I can find them listed as 35mm wide is on the evans cycles web site. The sks web site only lists 45mm longboards which are going to be too wide for my bike.
Um, did you spend more that 5 minutes looking? :P
http://www.aebike.com/SKS-Longboard-Fen ... 47258.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although probably no advantage getting them from the US. Why don't you just get the 35mm Longboards from Evans, or is the budget already too stretched?
No, once i couldn't find them on the sks website I didn't believe the evans website :oops: and have asked a question on there which noone has answered yet.

Thanks for finding them elsewhere :D , I'll get them from evans once the budget has recovered a bit.
I've got my bits coming in 3 packages, and all are on the way so a poo storm could be developing on the horizon at my place :(

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Bit of an update, seems I bought these back in Jan 2011. I would have guessed had them a year but not two. With the amount of use my bikes get this would be an indication that they are strong.
I picked these up from outside outfitters but you could also try bikeman. Both of these are good for rarer stuff and are quick to post.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm

My question has been answered on the Evans site. They are saying there is an error on their site. They are 45 mm wide.
Thought it was a bit suss that there are no 35 mm longboards on the sks site.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

BikeRadar wrote:New last year, SKS’ Longboard (US$49.99) is one of the brand’s pinnacle fenders for bike commuters. New for 2012, the fenders become available in their original 45mm width and a new 35mm width for tires ranging from 20mm to 28mm.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... sks-34105/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Longboard-Cov ... B000BQY39M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't remember the last time I led you astray. Well, not in the last few days anyway. :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 am

Nobody wrote:
Can't remember the last time I led you astray. Well, not in the last few days anyway. :D
What do you mean? Have you forgotten that you have somehow short circuited my brain remotely, with the power of suggestion?
I am buying a STEEL frame. Still can't work that one out :? :lol:

Hangin out for it to get here too :)

Thanks for the detective work again, :) I'll just get em from somewhere other than Evans then.
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 am

well I have dropped some money on these

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=84323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just got to hope they fit and last :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 am

Yes you can

EDIT: There are also these

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

rangersac wrote:
Yes you can

EDIT: There are also these

That gives a few more buying options, thanks for that.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I have the 35mm ones cause c r c did not have the 45mm ones. I run it on a 1.6 inch front wheel it seems to do the job, YMMV.

I don't like the toe overlap with the front fender. I pulled it off for summer, now deciding if i want to put it back on.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

I guess I should put up an update on what happened, what I purchased.

Before I do I must make mention of a forum member, rangersac, who did some research and gave advice on this area, it was much appreciated.

Well anyways, I ended up buying these

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=prod ... 0&BLUEMELS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tried fitting the front guard, but there is not enough clearance for that to work. I could do some cutting of guard to make it fit, but dont have the time at the moment. I fitted the rear guard on Wednesday night and overall it wasnt the hardest thing to do, despite what I had read on the web. Both front and rear have these end caps to go over the stays, but you have to actually install the guards first, get it positioned as you want, cut off unnecessary stay length, remove the guard and then put it back together using the end caps. Instructions assume they will be perfect first go, no mention of adjusting before putting end caps on.

Also, it is early days but I am a bit dubious about how well the method of fixing the stays will work given the bumpiness of my route. I think I will have to constantly check the nuts to make sure they are tight on a weekly basis. If they come loose then the whole guard will fail.

And of course...I have had beautiful clear weather since guards were delivered, so effectiveness is yet to be tested :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the plug gretaboy, bit of a bummer the front didn't fit in the end.
gretaboy wrote:Also, it is early days but I am a bit dubious about how well the method of fixing the stays will work given the bumpiness of my route.
My route is pretty bumpy and I've here's what I've found. The only frame attachment bolt I've had issues with working loose is the one that screws into the chainstay bridge (if you have one). I check this one every few months or so. If it does come loose you'll know about it pretty quickly, as all of a sudden it's tough to pedal! The other issue is more of a design flaw, which is the fitting that screws into the seatstay bridge, and folds around the top of the mudguard but doesn't actually completely attach to it. Because this fitting is metal (although for some reason in the pair my missus got it was plastic, don't know why), and the guard is a reinforced plastic, after a few years of use it wears away at the edge of the guard and starts up an annoying rattle in the gouge it has made. A bit of silicon on the edge of the guard, or a thin strip of gaffa tape sorts it out quickly enough.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:40 pm

rangersac wrote: The other issue is more of a design flaw, which is the fitting that screws into the seatstay bridge, and folds around the top of the mudguard but doesn't actually completely attach to it. Because this fitting is metal (although for some reason in the pair my missus got it was plastic, don't know why), and the guard is a reinforced plastic, after a few years of use it wears away at the edge of the guard and starts up an annoying rattle in the gouge it has made. A bit of silicon on the edge of the guard, or a thin strip of gaffa tape sorts it out quickly enough.
Initially I tried this seatstay bridge, however brief tests showed that I didnt have enough clearance and there was rubbing, so off it came. The two rear stays should, and have done so far, hold the guard in place for me

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 pm

could a spring washer be useful to stop the bolt coming loose? I use one, but i have a fairly smooth commute so not sure how well it will work for your bumpy ride.

I'll keep an eye on the seat stay bridge attachment.

My rear stays on all year round, I take my front off in summer, cant stand the toe overlap.

My only gripe with these is the front does not go far enough in front, water still gets flicked off the front and then back at me.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 am

gretaboy wrote:Both front and rear have these end caps to go over the stays, but you have to actually install the guards first, get it positioned as you want, cut off unnecessary stay length, remove the guard and then put it back together using the end caps. Instructions assume they will be perfect first go, no mention of adjusting before putting end caps on.
There is an alternative. When I fitted mine I thought it was silly to cut the stay so it fitted the end cap, so instead I cut the end cap and the stays now poke through the end cap leaving me with some extra stay length if I ever need to adjust them. This also helped when I put them on the new bike, no chance of stays having been cut too short. Not quite sure why they insist on cutting the stay rather than just making the end cap have no end. I have found that the bolts holding the stay in place on the end cap don't get loose. I've been using mine for a couple of years and no issue there.

As for the mudflap, I bought a brooks and just bolted it to the end of the front mudguard. Works a treat.

I have had a couple of issues on the new bike. There was no bolt I could find to attach the mudguard to the bridge near the bottom bracket, nothing would fit. I used a zip tie to get around this. Also the new bike has a vertical rather than a horizontal mount for the bridge near the seat post. Nothing I can do about that so the mudguard is just not attached at that point. Seems to be fine though, no wheel rubbing.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)