Moron Motorists #3

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Ladies and Gentle - Moron Motorist is back.

About a page of threads have been removed - it was a topic up for debate and conflict, so we are looking at a clean slate.

PLEASE - lets respect and support one another, lets be open minded and aim for unity and positivity.
Cycling is in my BNA

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Stupid blind taxi drivers. Using side mirrors is optional I guess :P

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 pm

A few moron motorists on Riverside Drive today.

This is one of several who chose to detour along the pedestrian only path rather than wait in the traffic, guess their time is really important compared to everyone else's!

This lot choose to block the intersection instead of waiting iuntil the exit is clear. Althougth the BMW driver didn't let them stop him and created his own lane.

Hopefully this guy and his partner sorted them out.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 am

Waiting on the main rd in the turn lane to turn right into the "T" bit of an intersection on Monday two cars go straight ahead, the last two in the line are indicating to turn left into the "T". First one turns in, second one slows to turn in, then as I am just about to turn in behind him he decides that he wants to go straight ahead, stops indicating and I had to veer away as I was anticipating following him through to get off the main road. Still no harm done but it pays to expect the unexpected out there.

Edit: Can you hint at where the legalities were so we don't do it again?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 am

Moron Motorist is always with us. This thread...not so much

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm

I missed this thread. Glad to have it back. :)

Those cars on the pedestrian footpath... :shock: I'm amazed. Then again, I shouldn't be amazed as people can do strange things.

Mine from last night:

Motorcycle decides to hop into bicycle copenhagen lane to go around traffic... But in doing so blocks the cyclists in the lane.

And then the white car doesn't check before coming out of driveway into traffic. I had to stop for that one. They didn't hear my shouting 'Oi' either but they got told off as I went past. I couldn't decipher the whole plate for the car because the number I thought it was belongs to a blue Toyota sedan (and that one is a white Toyota unless my eyes are blind) and none of the possible other combinations equates to a white Toyota sedan so I'm stumped. I knew I should have called the plate out to my camera but I thought the footage would pick it up.

AirZound would have been useful. My bell and voice are atrocious.

P.S. Just a few hundred metres back up this road towards the city there was a cyclist who was taken to hospital a few weeks ago (with blood left on the path) because a car didn't check the bicycle lane before driving over it onto the road. I wish that there had been something on the news about it to make people aware of this issue. But there wasn't. Although it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

EDIT: As I thought - someone brought it up on YouTube - the GoPro distorts perception of speed in a video so if you're going to analyse my speed and tell me I'm going too fast please take this into account that you may think I'm going 45 kph when really I might be going 15kph.
Last edited by Summernight on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Summernight wrote:
P.S. Just a few hundred metres back up this road towards the city there was a cyclist who was taken to hospital a few weeks ago (with blood left on the path) because a car didn't check the bicycle lane before driving over it onto the road. I wish that there had been something on the news about it to make people aware of this issue. But there wasn't. Although it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
Can relate to this one - left hooked by a SMIDSY cutting across the new Latrobe St bike lanes this morning. Hit the front passenger side and performed a two and a half somersault, with the bike, and landed on my back on the other side. Out of hospital four hours later with (hopefully) no bones broken but my entire left side battered and bruised. Bike's not great either - still yet to do a comprehensive check though. Off for the rest of the week. Oh we'll.... :|
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Cowcorner wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Can relate to this one - left hooked by a SMIDSY cutting across the new Latrobe St bike lanes this morning. Hit the front passenger side and performed a two and a half somersault, with the bike, and landed on my back on the other side. Out of hospital four hours later with (hopefully) no bones broken but my entire left side battered and bruised. Bike's not great either - still yet to do a comprehensive check though. Off for the rest of the week. Oh we'll.... :|
Oh no. That's absolutely terrible! I hope you make a speedy recovery! That's why I'm leery of those lanes - if you can't go right or left to get away from the situation because of the huge concrete block or the gutter in your way then the only thing to do is brake and if you don't have time to do that then you're going over the car. :roll:
Get well soon and I also hope your bike isn't too damaged.

pacra

Postby pacra » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 pm

200 metres fom home a P plater passes me, cuts me off as he swings in to park his car not far from my own driveway. I live a 10 minute walk from a Monash campus and impoverished students clog the streets all around with their late model sedans and SUV's.

Being so close to home I decide to ask knackers why he can't show a bit more courtesy and patience in 40 kmh limit residential streets and save his aggression for the trucks on Dandenong Road.
His response; cyclists should be on the footpath.

Hmmm. I assume he passed his licence within the last 3 years and had to do the question test booklet.

Makes you wonder.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 pm

pacra wrote:200 metres fom home a P plater passes me, cuts me off as he swings in to park his car not far from my own driveway. I live a 10 minute walk from a Monash campus and impoverished students clog the streets all around with their late model sedans and SUV's.

Being so close to home I decide to ask knackers why he can't show a bit more courtesy and patience in 40 kmh limit residential streets and save his aggression for the trucks on Dandenong Road.

Hmmm. I assume he passed his licence within the last 3 years and had to do the question test booklet.

Makes you wonder.
Candidate for letting tyres down in a midnight stealth run. No damage done, but mighty inconvenient for them...

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I would be way more direct than that

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

That sucks! Heal fast.

Cam

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

QLDers here may have tough anti-hoon laws on their side:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/crac ... 2hznf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So next time you are cut off, in what constitutes dangerous type driving, get it on video. If it happens enough time - their car might be crushed.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am

g-boaf wrote:QLDers here may have tough anti-hoon laws on their side:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/crac ... 2hznf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So next time you are cut off, in what constitutes dangerous type driving, get it on video. If it happens enough time - their car might be crushed.
Apparently the news (forgot which channel but it was one with ads) told me a few days ago that hoons are cottoning onto this crushing thing and are hooning around in el-cheapo cars so that they don't bother claiming them when they get impounded and then the police have to pay the crushing cost and the hoons just go out and buy another el-cheapo.

Although that is in VIC, so not sure about other States. :roll:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

QUICK! Buy all those bombs and sell them back to them at a slightly inflated price. I sense a new TV show coming on.... :P

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 am

Hoons must have more $$ than me then. Even an el cheapo heap hotted up for dragging is going to cost at least $1K, probably more. You wont see me throwing that money away.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Well, they obviously don't have to spend it on bikes and accessories, so I can see where they're getting it from. :wink:

The news story didn't make complete sense. Presumably if a hoon has his car impounded they also have their licence suspended? Then again, I guess this little blip of the lack of a licence doesn't matter either.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

hypothesis: our roads can't cope with the volume of traffic seeking to use them anymore.

conclusion: dispelled.

new hypothesis: our motorists can't cope with the roads they are seeking to use

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Perfectly valid hypothesis Jules, I'll chip in a fiver to fund a study by MUARC...

Only to find out that the jam you cruised through was somehow your fault...

Poor things, everybody is sooooo scared of a moments delay to some that they create minutes of delay for all.
Watch any zip merge on any road when there's a fair amount of traffic. At least one and often more will disrupt the smooth flow by barging into a position where they can bully the car that should have preceeded them into dropping back.

I can't see any way of fixing it short of these...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Cowcorner wrote:
Can relate to this one - left hooked by a SMIDSY cutting across the new Latrobe St bike lanes this morning. Hit the front passenger side and performed a two and a half somersault, with the bike, and landed on my back on the other side. Out of hospital four hours later with (hopefully) no bones broken but my entire left side battered and bruised. Bike's not great either - still yet to do a comprehensive check though. Off for the rest of the week. Oh we'll....
I
'm guessing you were taken there by ambo. No doubt they did X Rays if they thought anything was fractured but when I had my accident and fractured my collarbone it was obvious but I also fractured a finger and they did'nt pick that up until 6 weeks later when I went to have the collarbone checked. Hope you heal well and hope the cops do the right thing and are thorough so that you don't have any hassles with the drivers insurance company.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Don't forget to make a claim to TAC (if that is at all possible), Cowcorner, if you have ongoing medical or whatever issues that require you to pay money or you're losing money through not working.

Jules - that video could be transposed to Hoddle Street too. Or any main street in the CBD during peak. Which street were you riding down? Because after the intersection that was a huge bike lane.
Last edited by Summernight on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Shaun - and I always thought Brownings were named after the guy who invented them ;)
Summernight wrote:Jules - that video could be transposed to Hoddle Street too. Or any main street in the CBD during peak. Which street were you riding down? Because after the intersection that was a huge bike lane.
that's La Trobe, crossing Spencer. and yeah, it happens all the time. the traffic would probably flow just fine if there weren't so many retards driving cars, blocking intersections.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Cowcorner wrote:
Summernight wrote:

I hate those lanes on latrobe if its not double parked trucks with there "hazard Lights ' on unloading , people trying to left hook me from a side street, or almost being right hooked by ppl turning into the multi level carparks. Particularly if there's cars parked all the way along makes for zero visibility. My fave is the tiptrucks double parking in the bike lane just near Etihad Stadium heading north. You have to go nearly into the far right hand lane to avoid them.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm

pacra wrote:200 metres fom home a P plater passes me, cuts me off as he swings in to park his car not far from my own driveway. I live a 10 minute walk from a Monash campus and impoverished students clog the streets all around with their late model sedans and SUV's.

Makes you wonder.
If there are any parking restrictions just call the council rangers if his parking is illegal. He's probably studying law. :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 pm

MOTHER ******! Went out for a quick 50km zip and about 2-3km from home there is this bridge that has massive and constantly refilled broken up resurfaced potholes etc just after it. So I claim the lane and some wank decided he'd overtake me with oncoming traffic while I was doing low 40's in a 60 zone. I heard the engine rev and he's suddenly beside me with some of his car in my lane and cuts back across forcing me to alter my line into the awful bit of road. I clipped a dip with a resurfaced part and I heard that awful sound of the wheel graze against the uneven bitchumen. Instantly I knew there would be a massive hole ripped out of the sidewall. Stopped and checked to see how bad the damage was and there is a rip straight through the sidewall from the base to the middle of the thick tread on top. Looked like half the tube decided to make a break for it. I decided to gently ride home along the footpath about 200m from home it let go. The people in the park had a good look at me as I went past carrying the bike as if it was a bag :lol: :lol: I didn't get his number plate as I was still trying to avoid the potholes and the crap surface but if I see that car/driver again its losing its rear window. Brand spanking new Continental GP4000S. Only clocked 150km according to my GPS. Well time to catch the bus to the lbs to buy more tubes and tyres :roll: :roll: