Anyone else notice how quiet it is today without analogue TV? :lol:
Cheers,
George.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: So quiet without analogue TV

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

What's analogue TV? Arent they the ones with the dial on the front to change the channel? I thought they died years ago....

;)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 pm

'sfunny.... I turned mine on this evening to see what life "would now be like"; Wow.. static. Funnily enough, the cat seem a lot more interested in it than she ever did previously.

No rush to get a Digital tuner. Been through enough of the cheap ones. I can still watch my DVDs and downloads through the media center. Though I might start getting pangs for SBS eventually.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm

HappyHumber wrote:'sfunny.... I turned mine on this evening to see what life "would now be like"; Wow.. static. Funnily enough, the cat seem a lot more interested in it than she ever did previously.

No rush to get a Digital tuner. Been through enough of the cheap ones. I can still watch my DVDs and downloads through the media center. Though I might start getting pangs for SBS eventually.
Don't forget there is SBS on their website, as well as ABC
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm

I noticed 9 analogue had gone at midnight, the rest had disappeared when I re-checked mid morning.

Last night 9 had the digital off for a bit just after midnight.

Don't forget to re-scan, there is now a Single Frequency Network in the city and on the coast! :D
Cheers,
George.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi George, do you have a Guzzi to make noise with?
More time to ride to Alfreds on a cool night for a pea and ham soup.

It was a household emergency when our bedroom TV with rabbits ears went out yesterday, so dripping with all body sweat from cycle home last night (humid lately) set up the other DTV/media player from other near-dead lounge CRT TV (we don't have any LCD/LED/Plasma TV's in house yet... such funds have gone to bikes/mobiles/tablets/notebooks/gaming PC).

So there wasn't much delay in my kitchen rules trash beaming out again.

What will people do when AM radio ceases? I bet there will be a audio processing filter or workflow to recreate "that retro sound".

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't know if your experience in WA is the same, but here in Qld digital tv is an unmitigated disaster. Any wind or rain and you get nothing. This isn't out in the sticks either, but in a built up area right on the coast. In the recent floods we were relying on radio for information, god knows what will happen if/when that goes digital only too. As with many things, the old technology was a LOT better.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I don't know if your experience in WA is the same, but here in Qld digital tv is an unmitigated disaster. Any wind or rain and you get nothing. This isn't out in the sticks either, but in a built up area right on the coast. In the recent floods we were relying on radio for information, god knows what will happen if/when that goes digital only too. As with many things, the old technology was a LOT better.
What kind of antenna do you have? I've had no drama with digital TV in over 4 years. Yep been running it for that long
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I don't know if your experience in WA is the same, but here in Qld digital tv is an unmitigated disaster. Any wind or rain and you get nothing. This isn't out in the sticks either, but in a built up area right on the coast. In the recent floods we were relying on radio for information, god knows what will happen if/when that goes digital only too. As with many things, the old technology was a LOT better.
Check the polarity of the transmitter you are using, there are several transmitters on the north coast. Antenna will need to be correctly polarised and for those channels only, probably band4/5. 8)
Cheers,
George.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue, but this goes for the tv here, at my parents, and at my brother's here on the coast and down in Brisbane, same issues with all of them. In clear weather it's usually fine but any other time, forget it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

eldavo wrote:Hi George, do you have a Guzzi to make noise with?
More time to ride to Alfreds on a cool night for a pea and ham soup.
What will people do when AM radio ceases?
HI Dave,
Guzzi is back in the shop, for sale. I did 1,000km in a year, too many personal problems. :cry:

Digital Radio is alive and well, slotted in among the band 3 TV channels. 8)
Last edited by gclark8 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
George.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Honestly I wouldn't have a clue, but this goes for the tv here, at my parents, and at my brother's here on the coast and down in Brisbane, same issues with all of them. In clear weather it's usually fine but any other time, forget it.
Digital TV is only temporary, until the NBN is fully rolled out, then it too gets switched off! :shock:
Cheers,
George.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:16 pm

We're in the eastern inner suburbs of Melbourne (so you would think we'd get a good signal) and our digital antenna requires a signal booster connected into a power point and antenna port in order to get anything. Once the signal booster is plugged in it works fine (unless it is really hot) but without the signal booster all channels are just blank. Have you tried one of those?

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

gclark8 wrote:Don't forget to re-scan, there is now a Single Frequency Network in the city and on the coast! :D
Ah :idea: Don't really understand what that means but I wonder if that's why I can suddenly now get SBS for the first time since getting a digital box. For ages I just couldn't no matter how hard I whacked it, and I just randomly got the idea into my head to re-scan now that the analogue signal is gone.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 am

gclark8 wrote:HI Dave,
Guzzi is back in the shop, for sale. I did 1,000km in a year, too many personal problems. :cry:

Digital Radio is alive and well, slotted in among the band 3 TV channels. 8)
George, maybe it's time/motivation for electric bicycles ;)

About analogue versus digital, there is a threshold for operation with digital where it just won't work while analogue will.
Some people appreciate the "something better than nothing" that analogue may give beyond digital ceasing to function, as your diminishing signal gives increased ghosting and noise you may still get picture and sound sufficient for the task.
e.g. Watching the Melbourne Cup in low quality live, versus a frozen digital picture and missing it altogether, has happened at a 300 staff function (aka let-down). The following year I brought an old VCR for the analogue tuner instead of the digital tuner and didn't have a problem ;)

PS: just as I write this, email from wife "New TV box... Crap!!"

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 am

Summernight wrote:We're in the eastern inner suburbs of Melbourne (so you would think we'd get a good signal) and our digital antenna requires a signal booster connected into a power point and antenna port in order to get anything. Once the signal booster is plugged in it works fine (unless it is really hot) but without the signal booster all channels are just blank. Have you tried one of those?
We had to run a masthead amplifier at our old house and the current one. Dont get squat without it, zero issues once its plugged in though.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 am

im_no_pro wrote:
Summernight wrote:We're in the eastern inner suburbs of Melbourne (so you would think we'd get a good signal) and our digital antenna requires a signal booster connected into a power point and antenna port in order to get anything. Once the signal booster is plugged in it works fine (unless it is really hot) but without the signal booster all channels are just blank. Have you tried one of those?
We had to run a masthead amplifier at our old house and the current one. Dont get squat without it, zero issues once its plugged in though.
Yup, Target. $40. Work a treat.

exadios

Postby exadios » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm

HappyHumber wrote:'sfunny.... I turned mine on this evening to see what life "would now be like"; Wow.. static. Funnily enough, the cat seem a lot more interested in it than she ever did previously.

A certain portion of the static is signal from the Big Bang and the creation of the Universe. Could it be that your cat is a closet astrophysicist?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:...radio ..., god knows what will happen if/when that goes digital only too. As with many things, the old technology was a LOT better.
Rumour has it that there's currently no plan for public broadcast licenses in the digital radio spectrum - no community radio stations, no university radio stations, no tourism radio, no community radio.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:Rumour has it that there's currently no plan for public broadcast licenses in the digital radio spectrum - no community radio stations, no university radio stations, no tourism radio, no community radio.
Radios wouldn't be worth owning if it weren't for Community Radio, IMO.

This is as poltical as I get in public : committocommunityradio.org.au
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I was in Swan Districts Hospital yesterday and today, a small OP, they are using old 3x4 PAL TVs with head end digital receivers and Pal amps, still in the dark ages. Looks like WA Govt didn't support Digital. :( :roll:
Cheers,
George.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Perth Viewers, don't forget your re-tune date is 17 May, yes, less than a week away! :shock:
Cheers,
George.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Yes today, do it now! SBS is now on VHF!!! :shock: Much better!!

My box needed to do a "Factory reset" and rescan,its easy, its in the menu! :wink:
gclark8 wrote:Perth Viewers, don't forget your re-tune date is 17 May, yes, less than a week away! :shock:
Cheers,
George.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 17, 2013 5:34 pm

gclark8 wrote:Anyone else notice how quiet it is today without analogue TV? :lol:
There's no analog tv? News to me.
<removed by request>

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat May 18, 2013 12:17 pm

lol, I switched over to digital in 2005 with a HTPC
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra